Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure this ought to be fun.

What is the proper way to gap spark plugs? Do you use the screwdriver and hammer on the fender method? Feeler gauges, or the round wire gauges? Or the single round disc piece of crap. Does it really matter? (to mag guys if course it does cause they hardly spark)
Do you use the:
1) Screwdriver and hammer method. ROFL (I ususally do this with the round wire gauges IF I bother to check em on my piece)
2) The old tool that was made by jacobs maybe? Feeler gauge and pushed on ground strap? (used to use this piece all the time)
3) One of the fancy screw down gappers that seem to be the rage now a days? (never even touched one)
4) Or say F it. Its a boat. (mostly this with my boat)
Wags

·
"Need For Speed"
1,210 Posts
Don't they come out of the box gapped?

Just kidding. I use an old Champion spark plug tool I have had for over twenty years. It has wire gages and a tool that slips over the strap to bend it to the proper gap. I once used the Jacobs tool for awhile with reasonable results.

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
I was warned about gapping plugs because you don't want to bend the ground strap if you can avoid it.
And I thought I was anal....:)sphss

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Yeah....

Only guys with mags split hairs like this. And thats only because they need the split hair for a feeler gaugehil:):)eh:)
Yeah it's a pain in the ass to gap the tight numbers for a mag, but once every 10 or 15 years isn't too much trouble... After all, there are only 8 per motor, per decade, right?....
Ray

·
Just Me
4,056 Posts
Yeah it's a pain in the ass to gap the tight numbers for a mag, but once every 10 or 15 years isn't too much trouble... After all, there are only 8 per motor, per decade, right?....
Ray
Ray, I think you may be putting the plugs in the wrong place while you try to adjust the gap. Try using the champion spark plug gapper that gearhead mentioned. It would be a lot easier than trying to get the KY off the plugs after you gap them. :)grn

Personally, I use a Champion gap gauge set as well.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I figure this ought to be fun.

What is the proper way to gap spark plugs? Do you use the screwdriver and hammer on the fender method? Feeler gauges, or the round wire gauges? Or the single round disc piece of crap. Does it really matter? (to mag guys if course it does cause they hardly spark)
Do you use the:
1) Screwdriver and hammer method. ROFL (I ususally do this with the round wire gauges IF I bother to check em on my piece)
2) The old tool that was made by jacobs maybe? Feeler gauge and pushed on ground strap? (used to use this piece all the time)
3) One of the fancy screw down gappers that seem to be the rage now a days? (never even touched one)
4) Or say F it. Its a boat. (mostly this with my boat)
Wags
I would think that you guys with the super duper - mega powerful- atom splitting- electronics would just cut the strap off and not mess with it. Its just in the way of that huge spark that is being produced.
As for me I also use the tool that Gearhead mentioned from champion. Never had an issue.
(Dont be so jealous of us mag guys and the fact that mags are still the strongest ignition system out there, keep saving and you can get one some day :D:)hand:p)

·
Registered
709 Posts
Put the spark plug socket in a drill press vise, put it up on the thirty ton hydralic press, throw in a plug, turn on the power, press down on the strap until the proper gap is achieved, takes time but it works. The plug for #1 cylinder gets a little more gap because it fires first, then it tightens up down the firing order.

Anyone can pedal a bicycle can you pedal a flat?????

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Mag advantage

Ray, I think you may be putting the plugs in the wrong place while you try to adjust the gap. Try using the champion spark plug gapper that gearhead mentioned. It would be a lot easier than trying to get the KY off the plugs after you gap them. :)grn

Personally, I use a Champion gap gauge set as well.
See, that's an advantage exclusive to the mags, you don't have to worry about a little KY because the gap is so tight it'll still jump it...... At .018 I usually wind up using a feeler gage, but it is required so seldom it is not a problem... Those are the great races, the ones where you don't even pull a plug the entire weekend...
Ray

·
Registered
636 Posts
All you guys are wrong.
Take needle nose pliers and bend the ground strap out as far as it will go. Install plugs in heads, set heads on motor with a few bolts. Now just turn motor over (counter clockwise, very important on this step) and they will gap themselves.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WOW! This thread has provided me more entertainment than I had even imagined. You guys are some funny fellows.
I especially like the drawing about splitting hairs, using those hairs for a gap gauge for mag plugs, and the pregapped and replace every few years. Funny stuff!
Now, for the real queestion... what is the proper gap for a mag (.002)(if it is a "good" one) and an MSD (.160)
Wags

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Wags, its all in good fun. But don't misunderstand the Ray and his changing plugs once a decade. He is so tight, the oil in his motor was poured in from one of the containers made of cardboard with the tin caps on each end that required you to stab the spout in, Except Ray to cheap to have a spout, and just stabs a couple holes with a screwdriver, and a funnel made of newspaper. What Ray didn't tell you is, is races once a decade, and is still on the first drum of fuel he ever bought.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Platinum Member
2,014 Posts
I think I got my champion spark plug tool in 1973

Champion put on some great tune up clinics in the day,

They used to have a great class in plug reading complete with thrmo couple spark plugs

A show of favorites, cracked caps, crossfire from induction leaks, open wires, bad points, condensers, bad plugs

The use of a compresion gauge ,leak down tester,distrubutor machine and scope

I think I learned seldom is the plug the problem

·
Platinum Member
2,014 Posts
Is this the Champion spark plug gapper your all bragging about using. I had no idea you were all that old, or that particular about you plug gaps.

Probably used it to gap these no doubt. Any one know why this plug has two hex's on it?

Sweet tool I think I've seen someting like that for aircraft plugs

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
WOW! This thread has provided me more entertainment than I had even imagined. You guys are some funny fellows.
I especially like the drawing about splitting hairs, using those hairs for a gap gauge for mag plugs, and the pregapped and replace every few years. Funny stuff!
Now, for the real queestion... what is the proper gap for a mag (.002)(if it is a "good" one) and an MSD (.160)
Wags
I gap mine at .035 like a Normal person on a vertex cmon and I use the hammer and plywood gapper

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is a cool gapper. Obvious how it works to spread the groud strap.
WTF is the big deal with the "new" screw type gappers. It appears to just be a thumb screw to close the gap. Am I missing something?
Wags

1 - 20 of 27 Posts