Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rebuilding a 12jc and the impeller clearance will be a little tight with an undersized .045 wear ring.
Question, Do I install the .045 wear ring and cut the impeller to .025 clearance, or can I get a wear ring to the exact clearance needed to match my impeller?

·
Registered
200 Posts
First, measure your impeller. Example, if you're showing 7.220 on the impeller I'm not going to select a .045 wear ring. There's no sense in cutting the impeller more than needed. There's a ton of different sized wear rings out there. Turbine has standard, .015, .025, .050 and they often have custom sizes. Berkeley has wear rings every .010. At one point they had them every .005, don't know sure if they still door not. To keep it simple, measure your impeller, select the next closest size wear ring to the running tolerance (.025). So if you have a 7.220 impeller, go to a .025 under wear ring. The impeller should end up at 7.200. A .025 under wear ring has a 7.225 ID. Most of the time, the impeller needs at least .010-.015 taken off to true it up.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
First, measure your impeller. Example, if you're showing 7.220 on the impeller I'm not going to select a .045 wear ring. There's no sense in cutting the impeller more than needed. There's a ton of different sized wear rings out there. Turbine has standard, .015, .025, .050 and they often have custom sizes. Berkeley has wear rings every .010. At one point they had them every .005, don't know sure if they still door not. To keep it simple, measure your impeller, select the next closest size wear ring to the running tolerance (.025). So if you have a 7.220 impeller, go to a .025 under wear ring. The impeller should end up at 7.200. A .025 under wear ring has a 7.225 ID. Most of the time, the impeller needs at least .010-.015 taken off to true it up.
I hear you were trash talking me last week. anything to say today???:)hand

·
Registered
200 Posts
I hear you were trash talking me last week. anything to say today???:)

I don't recall trash talking anyone recently. Alcohol has been kept to a minimum lately too.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ok, I don't know you, but what I can see from that pic is that we obviously share a few mutual friends. Still doesn't shed any light on the concern raised. Nice lookin boat though.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Ok, I don't know you, but what I can see from that pic is that we obviously share a few mutual friends. Still doesn't shed any light on the concern raised. Nice lookin boat though.
lol. no concern whatsoever. all good. maybe the next time you want to ask someone if I'm ready to go out and get my ass whipped, you could ask the question earlier so I hear about it before the race and not after. I always enjoy hearing how somebody's going to walk all over me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Going with a new impeller and wear ring now. Maybe bp298 and Recycle performance can bury the hatchet? :sorry::love::buddies:

·
Registered
200 Posts
lol. no concern whatsoever. all good. maybe the next time you want to ask someone if I'm ready to go out and get my ass whipped, you could ask the question earlier so I hear about it before the race and not after. I always enjoy hearing how somebody's going to walk all over me.
I literally have no idea of what you're talking about.

Getting back on subject with the original inquiry, make sure you check that rotating assembly. 8 times out of ten even with new impellers I have found that the impellers are out of round coming out of the box. Some are better than others, but very few are perfect. Last thing you want is to grab that wear ring if there's a high spot in the impeller.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Bad bug. The only correct way would be in a horizontal mill. Recuires squaring the bearing housing for referance. Kind of like cutting down a rearend. If you don t have the fixtures its still a crapshoot

·
Registered
266 Posts
That is exactly how Chris at b1 did mine look on his Instagram he has videos of it

Also you can turn the "small wearing" dominators in to standard that way FYI

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
be sure to have the pump shaft checked for run-out (curvature/bent) max run-out is .008" I know it may sound silly that a shaft that large could be bent but they do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts