Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
06 Daytona 600Meril Bravo drive

Thank you
Yes. The bell housing needs to come off in order to get to the flywheel. Honestly pulling the motor is only challenging the first time.;) I can have mine out within two hrs of running if need be. Shouldn't be something to brag about but as a "do it yourself guy" the learning curve required several motor pulls (LOL). Why do you need to pull the flywheel?

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Starter problems and i think it has takeing the flywheel out..... :(

What is the BEST flywheel and Starter set up? Gm 600 Merlin?

Thank you

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
do yourself a favor and pull the drive off first:D
all you will need to do after motor is out is replace the ring gear on the F/W. I run a Tilton,SD starter, just make sure your backlash is correct, and it will be trouble free!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've been running a stock Merc starter on my 11:1 600" NA BBC for 5 years with no issues. Its funny because I often think about buying a high dollar replacement, but figure if it ain't broke don't fix it. I probably just jinx'ed myself for posting this but so far so good.:D It does help that the motor fires with a quick touch of the key!! If the backlash is incorrect something is gonna give and the ring gear is one of those somethings.:mad:

·
Frozen Hoser
118 Posts
I've been running a stock Merc starter on my 11:1 600" NA BBC for 5 years with no issues. Its funny because I often think about buying a high dollar replacement, but figure if it ain't broke don't fix it. I probably just jinx'ed myself for posting this but so far so good.:D It does help that the motor fires with a quick touch of the key!! If the backlash is incorrect something is gonna give and the ring gear is one of those somethings.:mad:
I use the stock merc one too. I carry a spare tho ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts