Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought boat with 460 ford, already wondering how to pump it up alittle, and i know you chevy guys will say dont do it so how about some ford guys, just simple and cheap...?:D

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
just bought boat with 460 ford, already wondering how to pump it up alittle, and i know you chevy guys will say dont do it so how about some ford guys, just simple and cheap...?:D
first things first, get that boat in the water and she how she runs, then do the, i need more power, thing:D

·
Registered
164 Posts
what ever you do, whatever you do, dont look at the tunnel ram in the spam section, dont do it:D:D:D

·
Registered
557 Posts
Depanding on the year of the engine, the quickest & easiest way to get some more power is to put an early model timing gear set in it. In '72 they went to smog controls and the timing set retarded the timing. By going with the early model set, you get a big boost. That would be the first thing I would do.

Ken F

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Look for Ralph Brunt here on the boards ,good technician ,got a hard running BBF,Kens right about the Cam timing (429 chain and gear) , weve always had good luck with 9.5 to 1 ,Weiand Stealth ,750 dfdp and Comp Xtreme marine Cam ,MSD etc.. Tom

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Hey, I'm a Chevy guy and I know how fast you darn Blue oval guys can go. Sleeper CP has one hellova fire breathing thumper of a Ford. Take the new boat out for a ride, use the piss out of it for the summer and then spend your winter building some power into it. Usually building a new motor starts with an oil change.... Or so it seems with many of us out here. ;)

~Brian

P.s. This book might have some useful info on fords.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Rebuild-BIG-BLOCK-FORD-ENGINES/dp/0895860708/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209918364&sr=1-19

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok thanks for all input, didnt get the boat i thought i was still looking, so i guess we will move on, but i have some good info here thanks alot. any help on other boats for sale(jet). see other thread.. thanks again:D:D

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
While you're out there looking, don't shy away from a boat just because it has a Ford in it. They make great jetboat motors. I've been pounding on mine for 10+ years and just put it in another boat. Gonna pound on it some more.
not shying away from fords at all, i have owned many fords.. the problem was his boat and him.. thats all.:D

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Often times the best bang for the buck is in pump work, not in engine work. I would look at the condition on the jet pump before pouring money into the motor. Just IMO
ok if i can get one i will run this summer and start on it this winter if i need to, kinda hoping not to get one that needs alot of work..:D

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
not shying away from fords at all, i have owned many fords.. the problem was his boat and him.. thats all.:D
Figured you were smarter than that. Just didn't want you to be misled by stupid comments like this one.

Agreed, ditch the Ford.:D
All three of those boats in the Phoenix area are real nice. I've seen the green and white eliminator and both the blue and white Kachinas. Always best if you know somebody that's seen the boat and can vouch for it. A number of these guys that posted on your thread here have seen all three of these boats and can attest to their condition. We certainly wouldn't (intentionally) steer a board member wrong. At least if you make the drive out here you'll have three to choose from. Sorry to hear that this guy turned out to be an ass.

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Figured you were smarter than that. Just didn't want you to be misled by stupid comments like this one.

Both of those boats in Phoenix are real nice. I've seen the green and white eliminator and both the blue and white Kachinas. Always best if you know somebody that's seen the boat and can vouch for it. A number of these guys that posted on your thread here have seen all three of these boats and can attest to their condition. We certainly wouldn't (intentionally) steer a board member wrong
i just take comments like that with a grain of salt. no worries.. thats why i ask on here for some opinions of people that seen the boats. i appreciate everything that is sent my way... one guy looked at the kachina and said needed some minor work... i think he is azsquirtin..not sure would have to go back and read the thread...:D

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
While you're out there looking, don't shy away from a boat just because it has a Ford in it. They make great jetboat motors. I've been pounding on mine for 10+ years and just put it in another boat. Gonna pound on it some more.
Hey Squirtcha?, any updates on the Gullwing project?:)hand

1 - 20 of 26 Posts