Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have to share, SORRY!! I just received my new Trend Performance Precision Finished pushrods and man are they bitchen!!!!!!:)devil I know most of you guys like Manton but I must say that Trend's customer service was excellent and they treated me well!!! Picture gives no justice!!!

EX: 7/16" .165" wall
INT: 7/16"-3/8" Tapered .165" wall

·
Distinguished Member
5,771 Posts
Man, this is well timed.. Pushrods are the last part I need to make Bakersfield. Hope to have the cam in/degreed with the heads on tonight so I can measure lengths... How long did they take to get them to you?

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1-1 1/2 weeks if they have to make them. That's tapered or straight!! I ordered mine on the 20th and received them today. I'm sure they can try and expedite them for ya..

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Well I have to share, SORRY!! I just received my new Trend Performance Precision Finished pushrods and man are they bitchen!!!!!!:)devil I know most of you guys like Manton but I must say that Trend's customer service was excellent and they treated me well!!! Picture gives no justice!!!

EX: 7/16" .165" wall
INT: 7/16"-3/8" Tapered .165" wall

They look like a pair of my drum sticks...:)devil

·
Lurker
1,417 Posts
COOL!
They are very nice product!
I use about a set a week, although they are a little shorter than those! :D
David519, if you run out of time the Mantons are more than good enough (I really like them), and you can have them in a day or three, especialy you being on the West coast.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

LOL!!! They do resemble each other!!

COOL!
David519, if you run out of time the Mantons are more than good enough (I really like them), and you can have them in a day or three, especialy you being on the West coast.
Warp Speed, do you think the Trends are stronger? Just curious because of the statement!! And yes they are very long!!;(

·
Distinguished Member
5,771 Posts
Hey, I was in a band with someone that hit like he was using BIG push rods... But it was loud R&R so it was OK :)devil

COOL!
Probably go with Manton since a week and a half is pushing it. Also, had good luck with Comp Cam's good PR's... come in .050" increments and have never bent one....
Thanks Stix... See you in B-field...

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, I was in a band with someone that hit like he was using BIG push rods... But it was loud R&R so it was OK :)devil

That's funny!!

Probably go with Manton since a week and a half is pushing it. Also, had good luck with Comp Cam's good PR's... come in .050" increments and have never bent one....
I hear ya on time constraints!!! I'm only a week ahead of you!!:D Trends come in .025", don't know much (well about anything in that matter) about Comps Cam's. Anyways, hope you get her together in time!! Should be some good times coming up!!!

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Smith Brothers ships mine on the same day I order 95% of the time. Make a fine product. Bob Fox and Trend make a good one and yes Manton is tough to beat.

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
IMO .050 isn't close enough. Nice pushrods at Comp, but just lucky if you get the right length. I've used Manley Pro Series with good luck. Used Smith Bro's when doing the FE's in the Cobra's, too.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Man, this is well timed.. Pushrods are the last part I need to make Bakersfield. Hope to have the cam in/degreed with the heads on tonight so I can measure lengths... How long did they take to get them to you?
Last year Manton had mine done in 2 days..... Nice product.

Those do look very nice.

Sleeper CP :D

·
Distinguished Member
5,771 Posts
IMO .050 isn't close enough. Nice pushrods at Comp, but just lucky if you get the right length. I've used Manley Pro Series with good luck. Used Smith Bro's when doing the FE's in the Cobra's, too.

OK.... Maybe I am a bit of a hack. So how close to the "perfect" length do you specify on pushrods for your stuff? I don't build as many engines as most of you guys here, but you're eyeballing the rocker contact points on the valve stem so it seems .010"-.020" doesn't make much difference in overall PR length once your very close to "proper" contact... Again, no expert, maybe I'm doing it wrong.. Is there a way to measure "exact" PR length that I don't know about??

·
Just another Wannabe
1,196 Posts
They've bent.........you just have never had one that stayed bent! ;)
Amen!
The deflection of the average pushrod is astounding!
Just get a hold of a pro stock pushrod and do some weight lifting with it. They will tell you, weight in a pushrod is nowhere as important as strength of a pushrod. Always buy one step stronger/bigger than you think that you will ever need. That is my philosophy. Always buy the smaller of the two runners that you are looking at when dealing with choosing heads for general performance, and buy overkill pushrods! My advice to guys just getting into building their own 'performance' engines.

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
OK.... Maybe I am a bit of a hack. So how close to the "perfect" length do you specify on pushrods for your stuff? I don't build as many engines as most of you guys here, but you're eyeballing the rocker contact points on the valve stem so it seems .010"-.020" doesn't make much difference in overall PR length once your very close to "proper" contact... Again, no expert, maybe I'm doing it wrong.. Is there a way to measure "exact" PR length that I don't know about??
Sorry David...didn't mean to imply anything. I try to get within .010, .020 max. Length depends on a few things, but it's not hard to get that close with a keen eye, IMO. Jim Miller has a fixture that he has made to work with his rockers that can be pretty dead on. Like everything else, though, t's up to the user to make sure everything else is right before you actually get a final length. P/R's, as it seems with you, are the last thing I order for an engine.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Amen!
The deflection of the average pushrod is astounding!
Just get a hold of a pro stock pushrod and do some weight lifting with it. They will tell you, weight in a pushrod is nowhere as important as strength of a pushrod. Always buy one step stronger/bigger than you think that you will ever need. That is my philosophy. Always buy the smaller of the two runners that you are looking at when dealing with choosing heads for general performance, and buy overkill pushrods! My advice to guys just getting into building their own 'performance' engines.
This is exactly what caused my problems!! Lost two lifter bores at the finals last year I believe because of pushrod flex. They had a great topic over on speedtalk regarding this and it definitely opened my eyes to a lot of things. It can cause all kind of things to happen!!! So that's why I went big or went home this time!!!!!!!! And they are heavy!!!

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There's some good reading over at www.mid-lift.com regarding proper valve train geometry if anyone is interested!!

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
There's some good reading over at www.mid-lift.com regarding proper valve train geometry if anyone is interested!!
this is actually the only proper way to find PR length. Time consuming first time you do it, but the more you do, the easier it gets, and is really easy if you have Miller rockers and use his jig, like Steel stated earlier. The little plastic toy checker has always cracked my up. Why do you have to flip it for EX/IN? My rockers aren't any different from EX to IN, (although they should be!!), so why does the little toy have a different rocker geometery for EX/IN. Lunati's checker "MAY" be O.K., I have never used it, and may only work correctly with rockers that has the same geometery as theirs, but it is the ONLY other checker that takes lift into consideration when calculating PR length.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 62 Posts