Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the PWC age requirement on the Colorado River, between Davis & Parker Dams? (which includes portions of AZ, CA & NV)

AZ, NV & CA all have different age requirements. Her Grandpa has a place in Bullhead, AZ. We live in CA. I've been told that she can take the Arizona boater's safety course, and then AZ law would apply - which she'd love. But, I've also been told that your residency is the determining factor.

My 15 year old daughter wants to operate our Waverunners, "on her own". I want to teach our children to follow the law - I just don't know which one to follow.

Any help would be appreciated. Especially, if you can reference something in writing. I don't to have to quote, "Billy Bob on PB Forums said it would be okay" to the Coast Guard.

Thanks guys!

·
mud slinger
2,012 Posts
What is the PWC age requirement on the Colorado River, between Davis & Parker Dams? (which includes portions of AZ, CA & NV)

AZ, NV & CA all have different age requirements. Her Grandpa has a place in Bullhead, AZ. We live in CA. I've been told that she can take the Arizona boater's safety course, and then AZ law would apply - which she'd love. But, I've also been told that your residency is the determining factor.

My 15 year old daughter wants to operate our Waverunners, "on her own". I want to teach our children to follow the law - I just don't know which one to follow.

Any help would be appreciated. Especially, if you can reference something in writing. I don't to have to quote, "Billy Bob on PB Forums said it would be okay" to the Coast Guard.

Thanks guys!
I want to say 12 in AZ 16 in CA NV I am not sure.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to say 12 in AZ 16 in CA NV I am not sure.

That's my point. If we started in Laughlin, and wanted to ride our Waverunners down the river through Needles & Havasu to Parker - which law would be relevant (CA, NV, AZ, or something else - since we'd go through all 3 juristictions)? Where we launch from, where we're from/reside, where we are when checked, or where her boater safety course was taken? Does the Coast Guard, or Sheriff pull out his GPS and determine whether you were on the Arizona side of the river, or the Nevada side?

There should be one law for one body of water. Otherwise, I'll have to tell her you can drive on the Arizona side of the river, but not the California side. Or, switch places with your older brother between point X & point Y.

Confusing. And, I don't see any clear language on the matter - other than for Lake Havasu itself (which states if you're from California: California age requirements apply).
:confused::confused::confused:

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I think that is going to depend on which side of the river your on, and who stops her. How does a AZ cop give her a ticket for being to young, if he has no violation he can sight.
Now, when you could drink in AZ at 19, do you think your license would work in Cal? /don't try to tell them its ok because you are from AZ. In some states you can drive and drink beer, just don't be drunk. Think that works in Cal? Don't tell the cop that.
Every state has its laws, an they have to be obeyed. If YOU are driving your car, you have to obey the laws of that state.

Ask truck drivers, they know this all too well

Its not where YOU are from. Its not where you launched or where the boat is registered. Its WHERE YOU ARE!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
The legal age for operating a PWC (and it sounds like the colorado river) is 15 as a solo operator! As far as drinking goes it is regulated by the laws of the state you carry a license or I.D. from. Please check with boat cop on this before you blast my ass! Mark

·
Registered
3,895 Posts

Thanks guys!
Jason, get on the USCG web site and get the rules and print them. The Colorado river is governed by different jurisdictions all the way down! But as I understand it you are regulated by the license or I.D. you carry. Which goes with my previous post. Good luck. Mark

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
The legal age for operating a PWC (and it sounds like the colorado river) is 15 as a solo operator! As far as drinking goes it is regulated by the laws of the state you carry a license or I.D. from. Please check with boat cop on this before you blast my ass! Mark
Mark, you actually believe that a bartender in Calif would serve a AZ resident that was 19. Really? You think the average bartender even knows the laws of AZ. Are bartenders and the genius in the 7-11 so highly trained they know all the legal ages for all the states, or do they refer to a book under the counter.
I was in Hawaii when a kid from Colorado comes into a bar and orders. He argued with the bartender for the entire 15 minutes it took the cops to to arrive, that he was legal. I think they convinced him by the next morning that he wasn't.

If a southern state says you can drive at 15 alone, I do not suggest driving in Calif.
If Teaxs says you can have an open container in the vehicle, and an Easy Rider Rifle Rack with loaded rifles in the back window, I do not suggest you try that in Calif.

If AZ says you can carry a side arm, for Gods sake Mark, DO NOT TRY THAT IN CALIF!

And don't expect a cop to be any more aware of the laws of your state than the moron behind the counter in the 7-11 does. He doesn't care what the law in your state is any more than the guy behind the counter or the bartender. Its YOUR resposibility to know the laws of the state your in.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Mark, you actually believe that a bartender in Calif would serve a AZ resident that was 19. Really? You think the average bartender even knew the laws of AZ. Are bartenders and the genius in the 7-11 so highly trained they know all the legal ages for all the states, or do they refer to a book under the counter.
I was in Hawaii when a kid from Colorado comes into a bar and orders. He argued with the bartender for the entire 15 minutes it took the cops to to arrive, that he was legal. I think they convinced him by the next morning that he wasn't.

If a southern state says you can drive at 15 alone, I do not suggest driving in Calif.

If AZ says you can carry a side arm, for Gods sake Mark, DO NOT TRY THAT IN CALIF!

And don't expect a cop to be any more aware of the laws of your state than the moron behind the counter in the 7-11 does. He doesn't care what the law in your state is any more than the guy behind the counter or the bartender. Its YOUR resposibility to know the laws of the state your in.
Okay, here it is! driving a vehicle was not the issue here! Thats one. buying alcohol was not the issue here! Thats two. carrying a side arm without a Az license or I.D. you will go to jail. Thats three! I carry a CCW if you know what that is and that is where I quit. this was about a teen operating a pwc and thats it! Mark

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Okay, here it is! driving a vehicle was not the issue here! Thats one. buying alcohol was not the issue here! Thats two. carrying a side arm without a Az license or I.D. you will go to jail. Thats three! I carry a CCW if you know what that is and that is where I quit. this was about a teen operating a pwc and thats it! Mark
Mark, YOU brought the drinking into it, and your wrong!!!
I don't care if you have an AZ license or not, if you do not have a CALIFORNIA permit for a side arm, AZ license or not, DO NOT carry do it in Calif. You will go to jail and you will be explaing it to a judge. And you MAY not get your weapon back.
I do not care what the topic was, its about state laws. And it the LAW of the state your in says you are breaking the law, you will be cited, or arrested. IT IS NOT THE RESPONSIBILTY OF THE COP TO KNOW YOUR STATES LAWS. He has a hard enough time know his own, and quit frankly could give a damn about some state 2500 miles away.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jason, get on the USCG web site and get the rules and print them. The Colorado river is governed by different jurisdictions all the way down! But as I understand it you are regulated by the license or I.D. you carry. Which goes with my previous post. Good luck. Mark
I believe it is the licence or ID you carrry. At least that is what I was told by the Dept of Boating & Waterways (I just called them). They said however, if my daughter takes the Arizona Boater Safety Course, her "ID" would be from AZ; thus AZ Law could apply (which means she could drive the Waverunner).

Too complicated. As I said: One body of water should equal one law.

She's gonna need to take a safety course for Utah for our houseboat trip at lake Powll next month too. There you have to be 18 to drive a Waverunner, unless you take the course. Yeesh!

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I believe it is the licence or ID you carrry. At least that is what I was told by the Dept of Boating & Waterways (I just called them). They said however, if my daughter takes the Arizona Boater Safety Course, her "ID" would be from AZ; thus AZ Law could apply (which means she could drive the Waverunner).

Too complicated. As I said: One body of water should equal one law.

She's gonna need to take a safety course for Utah for our houseboat trip at lake Powll next month too. There you have to be 18 to drive a Waverunner, unless you take the course. Yeesh!
So your saying the cops carry a law book for 50 states with them so they know the laws of your state, and write tickets using the vehicle code numbers from YOUR state's vehicle code book.
Not sure if its still the law, but Florida had no boating age limit. May now, not sure. But lets say it had NO age limit. So your daughter at 14 could be breaking the law, but Johnnie from Florida isn't, on the same body of water in AZ? AND, it gets better, the cop can tell that Johnnie, age 9, is a Florida resident, thinks nothing of it, and bust your 14 year old daughter right off. You see, Johnnie, who may NEVER have driven a PWC is some how a safer person on the PWC because he is from Florida, but your daughter, is a danger.

Let me know when this all starts to sound rediculous.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So your saying the cops carry a law book for 50 states with them so they know the laws of your state, and write tickets using the vehicle code numbers from YOUR state's vehicle code book.
Not sure if its still the law, but Florida had no boating age limit. May now, not sure. But lets say it had NO age limit. So your daughter at 14 could be breaking the law, but Johnnie from Florida isn't, on the same body of water in AZ? AND, it gets better, the cop can tell that Johnnie, age 9, is a Florida resident, thinks nothing of it, and bust your 14 year old daughter right off. You see, Johnnie, who may NEVER have driven a PWC is some how a safer person on the PWC because he is from Florida, but your daughter, is a danger.

Let me know when this all starts to sound rediculous.
I'm not saying anything. I am merely quoting what I was told by the Dept. I think it's ridiculous to hold 2 different people, to a different standard (given the same circumstance & location). That 14 year old can drive, but this 14 year old cannot - is plain stupid. But so is saying the East half of the river is governed by AZ law, and the West Half of the river is CA or NV law. The river is the state line.

I did say: I think there should be a single law, for a single body of water. Especially when we're talking about this particular tri-state intersection on the river. You can go through all 3 state's jurisdictions within a minute. The Coast Guard is responsible for the area, so I'll attempt to contact them to confirm - but it's stupid that I can't find a single reference to this anywhere.

Does anyone know someone that patrols the river?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts