Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· "On the road again..."
9,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a horrible tragedy that could have been prevented by responsible parents. What a terrible thing for an innocent little girl......

You just do not put a child in a position of danger, and a 12 foot snake inside of a home is placing anything small, warm, and breathing in danger......Idiots!!!!
<H1>Officials: Escaped pet python strangled Fla. child
Published: 7/1/09, 1:25 PM EDT

OXFORD, Fla. (AP) - A 2-year-old girl was strangled by a 12-foot Burmese python Wednesday inside a central Florida home, authorities said.

The snake was a family pet, not one of a fast-growing population of nonnative pythons that has been spreading in the wild in southern Florida.

Lt. Steve Binegar, of the Sumter County Sheriff's Office, said the toddler was strangled by the snake in the town of Oxford, about 50 miles northwest of Orlando. Pythons can kill by wrapping themselves around a human. Paramedics said the girl was dead when they arrived at about 10 a.m. EDT. Authorities did not release the girl's name.

Sheriff's officials told the Orlando Sentinel that the snake broke out of a glass aquarium overnight, went to the girl's bedroom and attacked her. The owner found the snake wrapped around the girl and stabbed it while others called 911. It wasn't immediately known if the snake was killed. The newspaper said the snake slithered away and was missing.

Jorge Pino, a spokesman with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, said that pythons are not native to Florida and can easily grow to 10 or 12 feet long. He also said owners need a license to possess a python in the state.

Some owners have freed pythons into the wild and a population of them has taken hold in the Everglades. One killed an alligator and then exploded when it tried to eat it. Scientists also speculate a bevy of Burmese pythons escaped in 1992 from pet shops battered by Hurricane Andrew and have been reproducing since.

"It's becoming more and more of a problem, perhaps no fault of the animal, more a fault of the human," Pino said. "People purchase these animals when they're small. When they grow, they either can't control them or release them."
</H1>

· Hub Cap Annie & Wheel
1,866 Posts
I hate reptiles of any type especially snakes. Up at our river place we are very cautious of rattlers and others. Alot of peeps will shoot them on sight. Oh well for those that love snakes or PETA members, tooooo baaaadddd. Parents should be shot for endagering her life, well ending her life excuse me.

· Registered
663 Posts
I'm fairly certain the parents paid the ultimate price at this point. I'm not a snake lover or an advocate of having dangerous "pets" around the house. I can't really believe putting them out of their misery would produce any greater results. They now get to live the rest of their misserable lives acknowledging their retarded descision. Very sad situation indeed. :mad:

· Premium Member
1,014 Posts
I'm fairly certain the parents paid the ultimate price at this point. I'm not a snake lover or an advocate of having dangerous "pets" around the house. I can't really believe putting them out of their misery would produce any greater results. They now get to live the rest of their misserable lives acknowledging their retarded descision. Very sad situation indeed. :mad:
BUT bearing in mind the stupidity of these "parents", will they fully grasp the gravity of the situation? Probably not...

· Passin Glass
2,737 Posts
Seriously WTF! A 12ft snake as a pet? Reality

A dog or a cat is a pet!!!
To each his own. I don't believe the snake was the problem. I had a 13 foot red tail boa for years and it had a dedicated room in the house with a locking Plexiglas door. I took it from someone that had it crammed in an aquarium when it was 11 feet.
Not once did it harm anyone...well..there was once it got pissed off :p when it was sprawled across the back of the couch under a curtain that over hung the couch cause it liked the heat that came off the base board heater behind it. A bud came over and sat on the couch and thought it was a pillow or something and proceeded to bounce his head off the lump under the curtain and well...apparently the snake didn't enjoy it ...kinda reared his head up and just looked at my bud...one of them pissed his pants ..and well...the snake didn't wear pants ..

It's the parents that are to blame here..Either you have one big ass aquarium where there is no chance of it escaping....like in the room I made for it.

· Premium Member
1,014 Posts
To each his own. I don't believe the snake was the problem. I had a 13 foot red tail boa for years and it had a dedicated room in the house with a locking Plexiglas door. I took it from someone that had it crammed in an aquarium when it was 11 feet.
Not once did it harm anyone...well..there was once it got pissed off :p when it was sprawled across the back of the couch under a curtain that over hung the couch cause it liked the heat that came off the base board heater behind it. A bud came over and sat on the couch and thought it was a pillow or something and proceeded to bounce his head off the lump under the curtain and well...apparently the snake didn't enjoy it ...kinda reared his head up and just looked at my bud...one of them pissed his pants ..and well...the snake didn't wear pants ..

It's the parents that are to blame here..Either you have one big ass aquarium where there is no chance of it escaping....like in the room I made for it.
True, I agree with you on that! But I do think that once you have kids (BTW I don't have kids), you have to re-evaluate most things in your life. It seems to me that maybe having a 12ft snake may not have been the best idea :)sphss

I think that if I were in your friends situation, that snake and your couch would have been covered in my poo :)st LOL

· Registered
663 Posts
BUT bearing in mind the stupidity of these "parents", will they fully grasp the gravity of the situation? Probably not...

They were as stupid as stupid gets imo. But I don't think paying for them to be jailed etc. is going to bring back the child or teach them a bigger lesson. let them be out in the public eye so folks can point at and scorn them. Maybe a few hundred hours of community service would be of benefit to society. If they were to be convicted and sentenced, perhaps choking the living sh!t out of them would be justice. I dunno.. tough call

· Registered
3,563 Posts

Dogs and cats kill kids sometimes too, and a lot more often than pythons do..

These snakes are in millions of homes worldwide and incidents like this are extremely rare (that is part of what makes them newsworthy).
I am a huge dog lover (especially of large dogs) but the reality is, that the big constricting snakes have a better saftey record than pretty much any large breed of dog...

· Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Here's the thing...if the owner has a hard on for snakes, why not a 12' snake as a pet? I mean, I have a 100+ mph boat...a lot of people might say why do I need that? Because I want to and I enjoy it. Don't judge the guy on what he chose to have - only on his inability to properly house/safeguard it. Just like you put the blame on a guy that dies driving a boat fast for not wearing his lifejacket, etc.

Bottom line, this country is all about freedom (or it was and still should be). The snake wasn't at fault, the negligent owner was.

· Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Here's the thing...if the owner has a hard on for snakes, why not a 12' snake as a pet? I mean, I have a 100+ mph boat...a lot of people might say why do I need that? Because I want to and I enjoy it. Don't judge the guy on what he chose to have - only on his inability to properly house/safeguard it. Just like you put the blame on a guy that dies driving a boat fast for not wearing his lifejacket, etc.

Bottom line, this country is all about freedom (or it was and still should be). The snake wasn't at fault, the negligent owner was.
True and yet another valid point!

· Registered
3,563 Posts
Another factor is that this is an extremely rare freak occurance. Pythons and Boas are very prey specific feeders and humans are not part of their natural diet. The most agressive of the pythons is the Reticulated Python and in most of Southeast asia they live wild in and around homes, even in the major cities like Bangkok. Despite this, they really do not have a problem with kids being killed by them.
For the last 50+ years Burmese Pythons (another of the largest python species) have been imported into this country at a rate of around as 65,000 per year and almost as many are domestically bred as well. Dispite this, there have only been around a handfull of deaths attributed to them in the history of North America. Statistically, most houshold cleaners, a bucket, or a large dog are much more dangerous things to have in your home with a child than a python.:)bulb
Nevertheless, I have no doubt that some sleazey demagogue politicians, ambulance chasing lawyers, and the PETA nuts will sieze upon this to pass some really stupid laws to restrict reptile ownership in many places...
P.S. The last I heard, no human had ever been killed anywhere by a Boa Constrictor. All of the few deaths that have been reliably linked to giant constrictors have been from Reticulated Pythons, Bermese Pythons, Anacondas, and African Rock Pythons and those have been very few and far between.

· Registered
663 Posts
Interesting info ES. It's getting harder to sell newspapers these days and I can see them salivating over this type of incendent. Of course the local high ups will have to pretend to protect the masses from killer snakes so I suppose there will be some skewed information kicked around and probably laws passed.

· Registered
3,563 Posts
Interesting info ES. It's getting harder to sell newspapers these days and I can see them salivating over this type of incendent. Of course the local high ups will have to pretend to protect the masses from killer snakes so I suppose there will be some skewed information kicked around and probably laws passed.
Exactly.
The shamless love to take advantage of things like phobias and ophidiophobia is so common, that something like this is an opportunity that few creeps can pass up.

· Registered
3,563 Posts
This is a horrible tragedy that could have been prevented by responsible parents. What a terrible thing for an innocent little girl......

You just do not put a child in a position of danger, and a 12 foot snake inside of a home is placing anything small, warm, and breathing in danger......Idiots
Then for god's sake don't get a German Shepard Dog if you have a kid. Because according to many pet trade sales estimates, for many years, baby Bermese Pythons have been sold in numbers roughly the same as those of German Shepard Dogs, yet Bermese Pythons have been involved in far fewer tragedies. The actuall saftey record for large non-venomous snakes as pets is actually very good and simply having one in the home is no more a sign of bad parenting as having a large dog, or a wide variety of common household products that actually pose much greater dangers to them, would be.

· "On the road again..."
9,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Then for god's sake don't get a German Shepard Dog if you have a kid. Because according to many pet trade sales estimates, for many years, baby Bermese Pythons have been sold in numbers roughly the same as those of German Shepard Dogs, yet Bermese Pythons have been involved in far fewer tragedies. The actuall saftey record for large non-venomous snakes as pets is actually very good and simply having one in the home is no more a sign of bad parenting as having a large dog or a wide variety of common household products that actually pose much greater dangers to them would be.
Gators make good pets. Just don't flush them down the toilet where they'll infest the sewers and kill city workers.........;)

Hadn't heard that old tale about the sewer gators of NYC in a long time.

On a serious note, the everglades are becoming more and more inhabited by boas and pythons. It'll be just a matter of time before we see the effects of them on native wildlife. It never works out well and I'm sure some native species will be adversely effected.

TX and a bunch of states are currently facing critical problems with feral hogs. Very destructive and are killing white tail fawns and such. Can't kill enough of them to make a dent in the population.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.