Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I have this seal in the right way? The Berkeley instructions confused the hell out of me for some reason. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
DITTO, your trying to holding the water out of the cavity. Just reverse that seal and you will be set.

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
Another option. If the water you run in doesn't have much sand in it, you can get rid of that seal altogether, remove the bowl plug (the thing on the backside that looks like a big flathead screw) and let the glacier bearing water lubricate. That's how my pump was set up this last time and I had absolutely no problems with that setup.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Another option. If the water you run in doesn't have much sand in it, you can get rid of that seal altogether, remove the bowl plug (the thing on the backside that looks like a big flathead screw) and let the glacier bearing water lubricate. That's how my pump was set up this last time and I had absolutely no problems with that setup.
with berk style bushings, there's no way i'd do that;) they're made to be lubed, unlike dominator style./

·
Registered
1,442 Posts

You had your Berk just up like a dominator bowl?

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts

The Dominator bushings are a bit different, but will do the job for water lube.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone. I have turned it around, but now it is very difficult to get the shaft through the seal without making the spring pop out or otherwise mess up the seal. Is there a trick to making it go together easily with the seal turned this way? Thanks again.

·
B.A.M aka "Black Azz Mike
2,925 Posts
with berk style bushings, there's no way i'd do that;) they're made to be lubed, unlike dominator style./

We do it to all the pumps out here;) No problems yet

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Thank you everyone. I have turned it around, but now it is very difficult to get the shaft through the seal without making the spring pop out or otherwise mess up the seal. Is there a trick to making it go together easily with the seal turned this way? Thanks again.

Hawaiian put alittle of grease around the seal and on the shaft. Make sure that your going on strait on to the shaft and not at angle or it will be difficult. Good luck

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
Sometimes you'll have just a little splatter or a burr around the end of the shaft. I find that taking a little emry cloth and hitting it lightly just till it's nice n smooth, then a smidge of grease will make it slide right in.

That sounded perverse.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
seal

Often times the tail shaft tip will "shroom" slightly during bearing removal ,we use an aluminum "plug" to buffer the press arbor to avoid this ,also it helps to bevel the tip slightly in the lathe (carefull grinding,could work) for both seal and bushing fit . Re tail shaft bushings ,all the new bushings we buy are permalube laminate ptfe coated and will work dry,wet,oiled etc ,occasionally we too have run them water lubed eg Joshs boat,race stuff etc Tom

and like Squirtcha said ,be sure and lube you shaft tip well :)

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Often times the tail shaft tip will "shroom" slightly during bearing removal ,we use an aluminum "plug" to buffer the press arbor to avoid this ,also it helps to bevel the tip slightly in the lathe (carefull grinding,could work) for both seal and bushing fit . Re tail shaft bushings ,all the new bushings we buy are permalube laminate ptfe coated and will work dry,wet,oiled etc ,occasionally we too have run them water lubed eg Joshs boat,race stuff etc Tom

and like Squirtcha said ,be sure and lube you shaft tip well :)
Why would you press on the bowl bearing end during bearing removal? I always press on the splined end during removal.:D I only press on the bowl end during bearing installation, which never takes a lot of force. How do you know when the bowl bearings are no good anymore? And is it better to run 90W oil or marine grease in the bowl? Thank you.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Why would you press on the bowl bearing end during bearing removal? I always press on the splined end during removal.:D I only press on the bowl end during bearing installation, which never takes a lot of force. How do you know when the bowl bearings are no good anymore? And is it better to run 90W oil or marine grease in the bowl? Thank you.

Wow Hawaiin you caught me in a mistake/typo

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 27 Posts