Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just looked at a 29 X-Flight and was wondering if it would be a good allround boat for the river and the big water (going to catalina) from HB. has anyone had a X-Flight out on the ocean ??

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
I just looked at a 29 X-Flight and was wondering if it would be a good allround boat for the river and the big water (going to catalina) from HB. has anyone had a X-Flight out on the ocean ??
PB did a write up on the X-Flight in this months magazine. I wouldn't think a open bow or deck boat would be very good in the ocean. But then again I am a lake guy and would never go in the ocean. :D

·
The Pool Bitch
4,236 Posts
I would think with the tri hull design you would tend to catch an outside sponson in the wave action. Especially if you were running diagonal to the swell.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 24 cobalt open bow that i take over there about 3 or 4 times a year with no problems. but thought that a 29 could make it a bit easier.

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
I have a 24 cobalt open bow that i take over there about 3 or 4 times a year with no problems. but thought that a 29 could make it a bit easier.
You are alot braver then me. BTW I don't like the looks or the lay out of the X-Flight. :)hand

·
The Pool Bitch
4,236 Posts
I am a fan of the X Flight, but I'm not too sure that would be the best hull design for the ocean.. I'm sure you could make it no problem during normal off shore conditions though. I wouldn't hesitate taking one over. I have done it on a Sea Doo, a Hobie Cat, and a 14' boat before, so it would be a cruise in a 29' boat. :D

·
It is what it is
2,650 Posts
Fair weather, which is what you should be ocean boating in, you can get just about anything to the island. Bad weather, it doesn't matter how big your boat is, even the Titanic was sinkable.;)

·
Registered
773 Posts
I saw a Magic deckboat running pretty good inside the breakwater at Long Beach a couple weeks ago. The water outside the breakwater was nasty and I dont think I would want to be in a deckboat style boat in the ocean. I understand it's a vee but I'd look elsewhere. They have a goofy hull in my opinion, not suited for ocean crossing.

G

·
I've seen a couple of X's running the river. They were moving pretty good and the sponsons weren't even close to the water. Other than the extra space up front, I'm not sure what the advantage is as it seems to run like a standard V. I had a 24' V a few years back, turned super sharp. I'm thinking the sponsons might interfere. But I've never driven or even ridden in one, so all speculation.

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
We asked the question ourselves. The V hull portion is the same as the Advantage off-shore race boat they used to run. I wouldn't doubt it could make Catalina fine.

·
Spot On Dee El...
688 Posts
Deckboat in the ocean??? You have got to be kidding me??? Just ask all the deck owners who have almost swamped in 2-3 foot chop on Havasu...

X-flight specific? Talk to Advantage, I am willing to bet that they wouldn't recommend it... fair weather, small swell probably not an issue... little wind, a Cat Express wake, maybe even an evil freighter or tanker wake, fair weather or not, at that point it is up to the experience of the driver...

Are you experienced? Pun intended...

·
Registered
631 Posts
I've run my 27' Advantage out to Cat island a number of times, the problem with the big lake is you never know what to expect. We've actullay submarined our boat sereral times. I talked to Bob about running to Catalina before on the 29' and he says since the bow rides so high out of the water you should be fine, but I don't think I would do it.

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
Deckboat in the ocean??? You have got to be kidding me??? Just ask all the deck owners who have almost swamped in 2-3 foot chop on Havasu...

X-flight specific? Talk to Advantage, I am willing to bet that they wouldn't recommend it... fair weather, small swell probably not an issue... little wind, a Cat Express wake, maybe even an evil freighter or tanker wake, fair weather or not, at that point it is up to the experience of the driver...

Are you experienced? Pun intended...
Not a regular deck boat. The cat types have a low bow, but the X has a rather high bow, and you can easily push it up further with the trim. As to big water, I've followed big off-shore type cats (think 32 DCB, but we won't mention names) in nasty Havasu water and watched the cat almost blow over at 35, while we just cruised along staying out of their way.

I'd get an epirb first no matter which boat I took, but there's no reason the X couldn't be nice boat to take to Catalina. I just don't want to deal with the salt corrosion. But then, I did 25 years in the Navy and was a qualified boat officer.

·
Deck Boat Cheer******
553 Posts
Easy enough to do in fair weather.

How do you swamp a deck boat BTW? If i am runing in big water I just slow down and lift the bow......I gues if you just try to punch through instead of using your head you could get in trouble?

·
The Pool Bitch
4,236 Posts
Easy enough to do in fair weather.

How do you swamp a deck boat BTW? If i am runing in big water I just slow down and lift the bow......I gues if you just try to punch through instead of using your head you could get in trouble?
I've seen it happen when the boat drops off one swell and noses into the next. Happened to us on a friends Magic.

·
Deck Boat Cheer******
553 Posts
I've seen it happen when the boat drops off one swell and noses into the next. Happened to us on a friends Magic.
So I'm curious, what were the conditions, speed, swell, boat load and seated positions, driver experience?

·
The Pool Bitch
4,236 Posts
So I'm curious, what were the conditions, speed, swell, boat load and seated positions, driver experience?
Really windy, sloppy with big wind chop, experienced driver and myself. Left the channel after wind blowing all day, and had to drive it hard to get up on top of the chop. Got off plane approaching Windsor no wake area, and several other boats. Off plane if you kept the bow into the wind the boat would ride up the wind chop and catch the bow on an incoming wave. If you tried to hold it sideways to the wave action, the water would come over the gunnel as the boat wallowed, and there was no chance we would put the stern into the wind as we were afraid the water coming in would swamp the engine.
Fun day though, and it offered a good experience in the bad conditions. It was the worst wind I have been out in on Havasu.

·
Deck Boat Cheer******
553 Posts
Really windy, sloppy with big wind chop, experienced driver and myself. Left the channel after wind blowing all day, and had to drive it hard to get up on top of the chop. Got off plane approaching Windsor no wake area, and several other boats. Off plane if you kept the bow into the wind the boat would ride up the wind chop and catch the bow on an incoming wave. If you tried to hold it sideways to the wave action, the water would come over the gunnel as the boat wallowed, and there was no chance we would put the stern into the wind as we were afraid the water coming in would swamp the engine.
Fun day though, and it offered a good experience in the bad conditions. It was the worst wind I have been out in on Havasu.
Thanks Rick. Obviously a closed deck is best in bad conditions but as long as I have power and a helm...I have been able to keep the bow high enough with the motor to keep water from coming in. (Thus far) Even on the big water in lake Powell. Made for some slow progress at times, but we are dealing with water not pavement. I will say I have used some less than direct patterns to lessen the possibilities of water coming over the front. All in all, you still have to control the boat according to conditions no matter what the hull format is and not let the boat and the water control you. My last trip out made me wish I had a sea anchor to keep my bow into the wind in case of engine trouble...

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Fair weather, which is what you should be ocean boating in, you can get just about anything to the island. Bad weather, it doesn't matter how big your boat is, even the Titanic was sinkable.;)

What??? The Titanic sunk???? :D

V Hull is the best in Ocean conditions. Catalina can be tricky in the summer time. Beautiful during the morning run and a nightmare in the afternoon. Something like Lake Mohave in the basin!

X Flight is a beautiful looking boat. Would love a ride in one.:)coffee

1 - 20 of 26 Posts