Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This last summer cruising up to the dam on lake Mojave, past Willow beach, there are a lot of canoes on the river...the situation is that the people in the canoes are always waving and yelling at me to slow down when I go by...but if I slow down enough not to create a wake, my boat just barely stays even with the current...if i try to go forward, I create a bigger wake than when I am on plane...so my question is : should I just keep going fast and create as little wake as possible , or slow down and create an even bigger wake ? I don't want to be rude and blast by them at speed , but on the other hand I want to reduce my wake as much as possible ... I also know that powerboats aren't allowed on this portion of the river certain times of the year, so when we are allowed is it "game on " ?

·
Hub Cap Annie & Wheel
1,926 Posts
IMO if you are a safe distance from the canoes than F them and the wake, now if your too close than just to be safe slowing to a cruising speed isn't a bad idea either. When they are on our part of the river I stay far enough away from them just for obvious reasons, if there is no traffic I'll haul ass by, if there is traffic than I'm cautious, just use your best judgement based on driving/traffic conditions.

·
2 miles from the water
443 Posts
I can tell you as one of "those guys" in the canoe/kayak I REALLY appreciate when the boats slow to eliminate wake...

Even the big tour boats ( the funky looking 4 pontoon ones) slowed WAY down for us, and I try to hug the side also

·
Registered
672 Posts
Last year was a big regatta in Havasu (forgot which one) and I took some Boy Scouts down from Needles through Topock. Big cats doing 50+ were no problem, in fact most boats were no problem. A few roll bar boats and the big assed tour jet boat left some large wakes.

One phenomenon I observed was some of the other adults were being tree hugging whiners,"Why do they have to go so fast? Why do they make so much noise? Isn't one engine enough? wouldn't it be nice if we were all alone with nature?". The kids dug the boats flying by. I told them I was build a really loud fast one...again the kids dug it, some of the adults thought I was a cannibal.

You know your boat. Just be considerate...I'll try and keep our bunny huggers in line. We are going from McIntyre to Walters camp this weekend.

Stay to the right, stay safe.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I have a kayak that I used to use from time to time. I have never in my life been bothered by a boat wake. The only concern I ever had around power boats is that I didn't want to get run over by one...:)

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've done the overnight canoe trip from Hoover Dam to Willow Beach. When you're lugging your camping gear and have 6"- 8" of freeboard, you appreciate the boaters slowing down. Why go so fast through the best part of the lake? :confused:

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've done the overnight canoe trip from Hoover Dam to Willow Beach. When you're lugging your camping gear and have 6"- 8" of freeboard, you appreciate the boaters slowing down. Why go so fast through the best part of the lake? :confused:
I don't want to go fast , but the faster I go, the smaller the wake ...if I just cruise by at about 15 mph or so , the wake is huge ...if I step it up to 30 or 35 or so , which is an easy jaunt for me, the canoe people think I'm going a 100 mph ...what's the happy medium ?

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Years ago a bunch of college kids were conoeing in the area, mile marker 61? There is a hot springs there and they beached their canoes. Next thing, river comes up and some canoes float out and away. Kids jump into the cold water and try to swim, with the current, to retreive them.

Bottom line, I ended up saving a couple of kids that got stuck on a rock, freezing cold, late afternoon and cut their canoe free. Found the canoe later downstream in the reeds. Dangerous situation, with a good ending.

I try to be courteous, sometimes they really spew the curses on ya! But I let it go. Have to share the water way sometimes.

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
when the wake board boats stop putting out 5 ft rollers then i will slow down to a no wake idle until past the canoes, meaning there is no happy medium and you have to do what you think is right buy another boater etc..

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
:D..... LIke they are going to catch up to you to kick your asss lol :)hand

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
I move over and slow down, but not way slow - maybe 45-50.

We get them in the river at Havasu all the time, they are kind of like the suicidal bicyclists we get in Bakersfield, "maybe if I jump in front of the car it will miss me".

·
Registered
544 Posts
Dude Tell Me Which One

As a owner operator of a wake board boat I just want to know make, model and year of the one throwing out 5ft. sets, might be time to trade up:D

·
Old Skool Member
6,519 Posts
Maybe they should use the river on days when the motor boats aren't allowed up there. Just a thought that if it bothers them that much change the schedule.

When I have went thru there I try to be as aware as possible but some people aren't going to be happy no matter what you do.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I can't speak for all canoeists, but the BSA guidelines say single file and anyone with any smarts knows to stay to the right. My kids have been out before, some paddlers haven't...lots of high school tour groups etc.

When I was a kid we'd chuck paddles at skiers who thought we looked too hot...once in a while was fine, but every dammit skier that came by tried to drown us. Not enough people on skiis to be a problem today.

Hey, we're all out there to have fun. I appreciate anyone asking and apologize for the people that hate motors.

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
As a owner operator of a wake board boat I just want to know make, model and year of the one throwing out 5ft. sets, might be time to trade up:D
i dont know if they are 5 ft excatly maybe 3 ft i dont know all i know is they are horriable rollers on the river when your riding in a jet..:)

·
3,246 Posts
The faster you go the less wake you have. So really you should pin it as you go by the kayaks:D

·
Willow Valley / Palmdale
562 Posts
Next time, stop, offer them a cold beverage, and ask them if they wanna run u'm........:rolleyes:
Back in the day I made some wake in my jet boat and finally locked onto some hotties in conoe's. I pulled up and asked if they wanted a ride. They did. They were from San Diego State. We had a blast. Went about 10 miles up river. On the way back all the canoe's had pulled over and thier instructor was waving us over. He was having a cow. Real aggresive. The girls "laughing" got out of the boat and he tried to give me the third degree. I told him to pound sand. I said "The girls like my boat better than yours". He called the police on me. They showed up at my camp to talk to him and never came over to talk to me. They got back in the cars and left. What a idiot.

·
mach26 300's
1,216 Posts
when i see them up by needles and moabi. i just trim it out, pack some air, let it fly. it really does make less of a wake:D

·
"It's HONDO, honey"
1,724 Posts
What you have to remember is you know what you boat produces for a wake. Do the least you can and don't wave just hold your hand up I do this to all lesser :D crafts to acknowledge the fact that they are there and i see you I'm not trying to make a sceptacle of you

:)hand

1 - 20 of 44 Posts