Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im hoping someone can shed some light...I have a buddy of mine that may cosign for me on a superduty in NV. The truck will be registered to him but the insurance will be under my name..The truck is located in NV and he lives in NV but I live in CA...Ive had many cars like this but not from a car from out of state...Anyone see a problem with this?All and any info will be greatly appreciated

JS

·
Registered
829 Posts
Registration Required: Primary Use

4000.4. (a) Except as provided in Sections 6700, 6702, and 6703, any vehicle which is registered to a nonresident owner, and which is based in California or primarily used on California highways, shall be registered in California.

(b) For purposes of this section, a vehicle is deemed to be primarily or regularly used on the highways of this state if the vehicle is located or operated in this state for a greater amount of time than it is located or operated in any other individual state during the registration period in question.

·
Under yo mommas bed
1,884 Posts
Registration Required: Primary Use

4000.4. (a) Except as provided in Sections 6700, 6702, and 6703, any vehicle which is registered to a nonresident owner, and which is based in California or primarily used on California highways, shall be registered in California.

(b) For purposes of this section, a vehicle is deemed to be primarily or regularly used on the highways of this state if the vehicle is located or operated in this state for a greater amount of time than it is located or operated in any other individual state during the registration period in question.
This is true but let them try to prove it.:p

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
My folks just did this....when you go to register it in the state of CA, they hit you with the Tax. If you have a mailing address in another state, you could keep it registered there and have the docs forwarded, but local PD will most likely call you on it after seeing the same vehicle with the same out of state plate for a year....yeah...they tend to notice stuff like that. Bend over and pay the tax...what is it now, 9.75%?

It's getting rediculous...I just got my registration bill in the mail for a 5 year old toyota pickup...$248. Maybe I'll start riding my bike.

·
Registered
829 Posts
My folks just did this....when you go to register it in the state of CA, they hit you with the Tax. If you have a mailing address in another state, you could keep it registered there and have the docs forwarded, but local PD will most likely call you on it after seeing the same vehicle with the same out of state plate for a year....yeah...they tend to notice stuff like that. Bend over and pay the tax...what is it now, 9.75%?

It's getting rediculous...I just got my registration bill in the mail for a 5 year old toyota pickup...$248. Maybe I'll start riding my bike.
X2. If you live in a small town, then its pointless to try to hide from the system. Its easy to prove, when the vehicle has been there all year long and driven daily.

When you have a CA driver license and are driving a vehicle registered in another state, you will usually be asked who the vehicle belongs to. Don't be a smartass, and say "well run it and you'll find out." You will be asking for a citation.

Just park it in the garage. :D

·
Under yo mommas bed
1,884 Posts
I did this years ago with a bike that I had titled in New Mexico. Everytime I got stopped I told him that I just got back from New Mexico that very day. Never did get a ticket but got some head shakes!:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts