Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm still rounding up parts for a engine, money has been tight for a long time now so its been a slow process (one part at a time while I save up). Its for my 19' Miller jet not a race boat. I am building a pump gas 496. I already have a Callies crank, forged Mahle pistons , and now I need to get some Rods. I know they are something you don't want to skimp on but i don't have a huge budget ether. I was looking at the Scat '' pro comp'' I beam with arp 2000 bolts. I thing they will work fine now but what if i want to add a little spray down the road? If any it wouldn't be more that a 200 shot. Or should i just hold out and get the Scat H beams with the bolt upgrade? Anything past that starts getting out of my budget. let the arguing begin....

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
So I'm still rounding up parts for a engine, money has been tight for a long time now so its been a slow process (one part at a time while I save up). Its for my 19' Miller jet not a race boat. I am building a pump gas 496. I already have a Callies crank, forged Mahle pistons , and now I need to get some Rods. I know they are something you don't want to skimp on but i don't have a huge budget ether. I was looking at the Scat '' pro comp'' I beam with arp 2000 bolts. I thing they will work fine now but what if i want to add a little spray down the road? If any it wouldn't be more that a 200 shot. Or should i just hold out and get the Scat H beams with the bolt upgrade? Anything past that starts getting out of my budget. let the arguing begin....
Nothing wrong with that rod at all. :))THumbsUp:))THumbsUp

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
Thank you Scott. Just so I have an idea, how much abuse will those rods take or at what point would you use the H beam with better bolts instead ?
Hate to say without imperical data. I know guys are running the snot out of them in small blocks. 8000rpm circle track stuff. Big block I wouldn't push that kind of rpm but I think you'd be safe up to 7000.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
The Scat Procomp I beam is a great rod for the money. But that's a hell of lot o crank for that rod. Kind of surprised you "saved" for a Callies crank, but now buying Scat I beam rods. Not condemning your choice of rods, just wondering why you choose this combo over a Scat 4340 crank and H beam rods, which would probably been cheaper.
Was this a used Callies you got a killer price on?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Scat Procomp I beam is a great rod for the money. But that's a hell of lot o crank for that rod. Kind of surprised you "saved" for a Callies crank, but now buying Scat I beam rods. Not condemning your choice of rods, just wondering why you choose this combo over a Scat 4340 crank and H beam rods, which would probably been cheaper.
Was this a used Callies you got a killer price on?
I will admit it is overkill for what im building but I found it new for less than $100 more than the Scat. I also figured pistons and rods have a shorter life than a crank as long as it doesnt get hurt, and the crank will get put in somthing else down the road.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I will admit it is overkill for what im building but I found it new for less than $100 more than the Scat. I also figured pistons and rods have a shorter life than a crank as long as it doesnt get hurt, and the crank will get put in somthing else down the road.
That's cool, I would have bought it for 100 more too, NEW, used cranks are worth slightly more than used Kleenex
I don't know if rods have a shorter life than the crank, if the crank is a Sonny Bryant and the rods are Olivers. But they sure as hell will if you use C.A.T. I beams and Silvolite cast pistons.
But if cast piston fails a little earlier than you thought, hope the crank turns out to be near bullet proof

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts