Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Sanger Hydro
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know what i would have to change to run E85. i have a bbc 468 with dual 1150 dominators with 94 jets squared.

·
Village Idiot
3,481 Posts
Are you looking to run it with the same carbs you have? There are a number of places that can convert your carbs to run E85 without costing too much (in comparison to buying new carbs). Then you have to make sure that the rest of the fuel system is up to the task (ready to handle the increased volume that is needed). Everything from tanks, lines, pump, filter and regulators. All this stuff needs to be able to move the increased volume as well as deal with the corrosive nature of E85. E85 is no where near as corrosive as Methanol or Ethanol, but still is imperfect.

So what exactly are you hoping to do?

Paul

·
Members only
4,518 Posts
Are you looking to run it with the same carbs you have? There are a number of places that can convert your carbs to run E85 without costing too much (in comparison to buying new carbs). Then you have to make sure that the rest of the fuel system is up to the task (ready to handle the increased volume that is needed). Everything from tanks, lines, pump, filter and regulators. All this stuff needs to be able to move the increased volume as well as deal with the corrosive nature of E85. E85 is no where near as corrosive as Methanol or Ethanol, but still is imperfect.

Paul
Are you kidding me???:)coffee The man is going green!:D

·
Sanger Hydro
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have a barry grant 400 pump and 4 port reg. i should have no problem with fuel delivery. im just tired of paying 35 bucks for 5 gallons of 112 race fuel. i have a place down the street that just started selling e85 for $2.12 a gallon. thats what im trying to do. :D

Paul

·
Registered
629 Posts
Contact Heath Daniels 704-246-6500 or at
raceone85.com

Heath has done 3 carbs for me and I just bolted on and fired up the last one on my 63 Nova 496 tonight. I bought 15 gal of E-85 for $1.89 per gal. Cheapo 87 octane here is $2.69. Much smoother idle, goes down the road smoother and more power. As an option, he will bolt your carb onto his drag car and dial it in for you. No if ands or buts, bolt it on and go.

You can also check out
e85forum.com

Corrosion does not happen.

·
Village Idiot
3,481 Posts
i have a barry grant 400 pump and 4 port reg. i should have no problem with fuel delivery. im just tired of paying 35 bucks for 5 gallons of 112 race fuel. i have a place down the street that just started selling e85 for $2.12 a gallon. thats what im trying to do. :D
Sounds like you have your ducks in a row. I just asked as I have seen some guys try to switch even though the rest of the fuel system was not up to the task.

I have heard lots of good things about Heath Daniels, and have reason to believe Maxi's guy can do it also. I can't blame you for wanting to go to E85. I plan on having an E85 engine of my own up and running before too long. I would love to hear how it turns out for you.

Paul

·
Members only
4,518 Posts
I am switching a blown injected 540 over to it. I think I can get away with 15 lbs boost. Most likely be putting it on Carsons dyno to dial it in. That stuff is supposed to be the bomb diggity! Also looks pretty cheap at Parker. I will let everybody know what I find out.:)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I ran the stuff in a whacker motor last year. The magic number on my setup was 29% more E85 than gas. It ran real nice and the engine was not as sensitive to mixtures versus gas.

I've been thinking of running it in my twin turbo bbc as it's $2.35/gal around here. I've been a little lazy lately as I have access to AV Gas at $3.50/gal. Not enough pain to make me switch yet.

Unchained on the board here ran or may still run E85 in his boat. If he does not chime in track him down and pick his brain for GPH and flow info on a big motor with a blower or turbos on it.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
$ vs. usage.

I have noticed that I don't get the mileage with E85 as I do with gas. The 105 octane rating of E85 is nice, but I don't know if the money saved by changing over to the E85 only parts are worth it.
Jeff.

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
I'm on my second season running E85.
It's been great. You do burn more fuel but I still got over 3 mpg @ 40 mph with it and that works for me.
If the fuel consuption seems excessive look at your A/F ratio.

If someone does not need the octane then the switch probably isn't worth the effort. Especially if it requires a special carb. I just retuned the EFI to it and it didn't cost anything.
Having a gas map and a E85 map gives some great flexibility.

When you compare E85 to race gas the difference in cost is huge.
Just the fact that I'm using fuel that was made right here in Mi is worth a lot to me.

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
Fuel consumption will be far greater with E85 , thus the BIG fuel supply but there are other advantages (besides cost and octane) arent there? Specifically a cooler charge on forced induction engines AND more timing advance no???

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Anybody know what the percentage of ethanol is at the pumps. Just now

noticed the Decal......."Contains Ethanol" on the pump.

Thanks ...steve

·
Re-member
146 Posts
I spoke with the tech guy from hilborn injection he told me i can run it in my bbc with a hiborn injector and 8-71 but if i am useing alcohol now it wont run as good. and i will need to change the nozzels and re tune it. the way he described it was "if everyone ran it then it would be ok but if your running against other boats on alcohol then your not going to win" so thats all i needed to hear. I will stick with whats working for me now. I pay about $3.25 per gal. when i buy it i get a drum and it last me about 3-5 trips to the lake. when i run race gas in the boat its a slug and nothing like when i run alcohol. 1 pass and the blower gets so cold its dripping with moisture.come to think about it,the same thing happens to the women when i take them for a ride! so thats the real reason I like it!

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
Anybody know what the percentage of ethanol is at the pumps. Just now

noticed the Decal......."Contains Ethanol" on the pump.

Thanks ...steve
Missouri is 10%, I think that every state has their own mandatory formula for ethanol and OTHER additives. This prevents refineries from having BULK that can be used in many states THUS causing spikes in prices from time to time (so im told).

Conspiracy I think... :)

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Fuel consumption is about 27% more.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts