Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled the motor out of my sst( needs more HP) the motor mount are sitting ( 3pt mount) on the edge of the tunnel with no stringers? how much horsepower is ok for this set up? I am going to be putting around 550 hp in it, any issues, I took it out last night with a gps and with 2 people ( easy 450lbs) going down river it pulled 70.1 @4900 rpm, I figure 200 more hp with new heads and roller cam I am hoping for 5-8 mph more @ 5500 rpm, does this sound right

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will find out in the morning when I pull the trailer out from under it, right now I see threads and double nuts holding the mount to the boat, pics tomorrow

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anyone got pics of theirs with motor rails etc. like to see what others have done, when it goes back together the 10 qt pan is just going to clear the bilge, you can see where the crank pull goes

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
was planning on just the top end of motor till I saw how they put the bottom end together, now its going to be bored and decked

·
Breathing Diesel
2,111 Posts
Nice colors, my SST would run 93.6 on GPS with a 496 in it with about 600 to 650 HP. My engine mounts sat on a plate of aluminum that was like 10" x 12" and I never had a problem. I then stripped out the whole floor and put the balsa inlay and put stringers in it. I do not have any pictures of it and the boat is in LA now. If you do the pump work and the set-up on it is right the SST will run.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Very cool boats , yours looks like it has Great potential ! I'm inclined to want to significantly reinforce the mounting system however (build in stringers with rails like shotgun said) . particularly if you add Power ! (always wanted to rig one of these ;))
Tom

(Love the "jackstands":D)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
going after the leak now that will tell me how far I go this summer( I want it back in the water in a couple of weeks( after motor work) if I do rails it will be in the winter, nothing but the best to hold up the boat!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well found the leak, someone put to long of a screw thru the front seat and into the tunnel under the carpet bar, couldn't till boat off the trailer, the motor was not what the old owner said it was of course but I can get it back together for the summer and then stroke it this winter 496 will make next summer better!!

·
JRPM/e-PerformanceMarine
2,034 Posts
well found the leak, someone put to long of a screw thru the front seat and into the tunnel under the carpet bar, couldn't till boat off the trailer, the motor was not what the old owner said it was of course but I can get it back together for the summer and then stroke it this winter 496 will make next summer better!!
If you want to put just engine stringers in for the summer so you can mount a rail system in, I can and will help.

·
Breathing Diesel
2,111 Posts
With that screw going through there more then likely all the wood is wet, mine was, that is why I ended up stripping it all out and putting in the balsa core wood. Made the boat lighter and looks better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my sst had the same mount system with a panther pump from the factory. When we started to probe around in the floor we found all the wood was rotten. We started to replace the wood in the floor and found a floor support that ran up the center of the boat that was rotten as well. So we ended up replacing all the wood and reglassing the boat back together. Since we had the mess started and the glass out, we also capped the boat and glassed the boat in as a virgin hull (guages, fuel fills, jet pump hole). our 10k budget build turned into a 39k build with a 1300hp blown 525" merlin motor that runs on e85. So be carefull digging into the floor, your direction may change with the boat. Mine did.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well a swimming pool has to be finished before the boat over haul so I will start next month and start tearing into the rotton wood issues, only building a 496 this year maybe 555 next year

·
Registered
44 Posts
rails

Im in the process of building a aristocrat tunnel (same bottom) likewise nothing but two through bolts as mounts. I installed 1/2 x 3" alum rails along the inside top of the tunnels with multiple fasteners countersunk flush on the out side sealed with poxy putty. dont know if its right or not but it seems better than original. wont really know till I beat it like a rented mule:|err. if it survives and i like it, It may become the home of my blown 460 out of my truck.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sounds good as that was my first idea as there is no wood across the top of the tunnel to mount a stringer, but until I get time to rip out the old wood deck thats rotton I don't know which way I will go

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the same issue, trying to better mount the engine. My wood and all supports appear to have little/no damage and leery of opening everything up. Plus it seems that if I put stringers on top, the engine will sit high in relation to pump. Any photos on your new rails and how you mounted to the engine? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts