Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
When you kick the tail, the prop. is surfacing only the bottom of the blade is grabbing water, being your prop. is rotating counter clockwise, the bottom of the blade is pushing the ass end to the left, which makes the boat turn right.

·
Registered
13 Posts
TOPFUEL twin props

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe one of the key factors/benefits on the twin propped topfuel boats is the W-drive counter rotates one side from the other wherein the normally high twisting torque becomes offset by each others rotation. That's why you now see such straight starting line launches and more controlled high speeds for the most part at least compared to the old twisting and wild single prop days.

It's my understanding it takes a lot of horse power to take advantage of the twin props...

Question ...Anybody out there know where the line is drawn in horsepower wherein twin props are better than single in a hydro? Pros, cons. considerations??

I know the W-drive is extremely heavy??

·
Registered
677 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe one of the key factors/benefits on the twin propped topfuel boats is the W-drive counter rotates one side from the other wherein the normally high twisting torque becomes offset by each others rotation. That's why you now see such straight starting line launches and more controlled high speeds for the most part at least compared to the old twisting and wild single prop days.

It's my understanding it takes a lot of horse power to take advantage of the twin props...

Question ...Anybody out there know where the line is drawn in horsepower wherein twin props are better than single in a hydro? Pros, cons. considerations??

I know the W-drive is extremely heavy??
They tried it with TAH and gave up. I'm gonna guess TFH is the only place for twin screws unless someone re-engineers the props and etc for slower boats.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
no thats common. if you were to look at the path of a hydro down the qtr mile it is a arch. the boat wants to go one way and the driver is working it the other. go to www.wdifl.com and look at the old pics of the drivers wroking the wheel. i used to like frank dade and eddie hills pics look at them its elbow up. just get that v drive fixed. the bandit is a good man and knows his poop. i highly highly respect him.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
hell me to but i can say bandit,rhinowood,landspeedracer,frank with the red barron and stevo in so cal are the best and will do anything for you and best hospitality at cfw. my dad who has disability from cancer has to walk with a walker but getting better, bandit took me to the gang and put us in a great spot to sit and enjoy the day. glad i was able to leave before the crash . rip to a hot boater

·
Registered
80 Posts
Short rudder!

Your rudder is too short. We added 4 inches to Red Baron to get it to steer straight. You should have at least 2 to 4 inches of rudder beyond the bottom tip of the prop in the verticle position. Having to turn the rudder to keep the boat straight will slow the boat down.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your rudder is too short. We added 4 inches to Red Baron to get it to steer straight. You should have at least 2 to 4 inches of rudder beyond the bottom tip of the prop in the verticle position. Having to turn the rudder to keep the boat straight will slow the boat down.
you say you added to the rudder do you mean get a NEW rudder that is longer or can I weld a piece on???

·
Premium Member
1,418 Posts
hell me to but i can say bandit,rhinowood,landspeedracer,frank with the red barron and stevo in so cal are the best and will do anything for you and best hospitality at cfw. my dad who has disability from cancer has to walk with a walker but getting better, bandit took me to the gang and put us in a great spot to sit and enjoy the day. glad i was able to leave before the crash . rip to a hot boater
Thanks Dan for the props, glad you had a good time FD, it was nice to finally meet your dad, hope he is doing better and please tell him hi.

Cory (H-man916) , look forward to meeting you, I wanted to get out to CFW last weekend but was finishing my brother's '64 Vette . . . he works for the Navy and his car has been stored at my mom's house and mine for the last 29 years, we got it loaded on a truck yesterday and headed to San Diego so today is like Christmas for him in July.

Hopefully we can meet on one of the near future fishing trips at CFW . . . :)devil

·
Registered
80 Posts
Weld the rudder

We welded 4 inches to the bottom of the rudder. If your rudder is 4130 or 4340 steel just get a similar alloy steel. I use a 24 inch rudder on the white 502 bitz and is does not slow the boat down. Later Ray

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.