Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often are you guys changing your fuel filters? I have heard so many different opinions. Anyhwere from 7k to 30kmi intervals?

My 09 Duramax is almost at 10kmi. I was going to take it in for an oil change and was wondering if I should have the fuel filter done as well?

Also, what is the avereage cost the dealer will rape me for changing this? I have heard its a pain in the new LMM Duramax?

·
the silver bullet!
1,996 Posts
How often are you guys changing your fuel filters? I have heard so many different opinions. Anyhwere from 7k to 30kmi intervals?

My 09 Duramax is almost at 10kmi. I was going to take it in for an oil change and was wondering if I should have the fuel filter done as well?

Also, what is the avereage cost the dealer will rape me for changing this? I have heard its a pain in the new LMM Duramax?
ITS JUST GOOD INS. , also if your not using some kinda additive for your fuel you might look into that also! TUNNEL T

·
Boss of the McIntyre Mob
1,981 Posts
I do mine every other oil change, bout 15 to 20k miles

Its soo easy. I get the napa wix filter and takes about 5 min. PM me if you want help.

·
Steady Rollin
1,106 Posts
i do about 10k on mine.

I have a secondary inline fuel filter sitting in a f'ing box but i just have not had time to install it yet =(

It uses CAT filters as a pre-filter, which makes it so you rarely ever change the primary filter.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have the LMM Dually, and have been doing the fuel filter at 15,000 intervals or less....good insurance with the wide variety of fuel out there.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I change the fuel filter my self. Buy them at fleetfilter.com. Let it run out to the 5% left range and keep an extra under the back seat.

Be picky where you get your fuel and you'll not have a problem. Stay away from that purple gas station in Parker. Water in the fuel...

·
Registered
212 Posts
I would change mine when the computer told me to. But after noticing what a difference in how well the truck ran after I changed it. I do it when the computer gets to maybe 10% left. ALso I have an LMM as well and the filter is very easy to change.Its right behind the passenger side wheel well. Very simple to do and Im not mechanically inclined at all.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would do it myself but am pressed for time. Will be leaving next week for Mead and would rather have everything changed for a piece of mind. If the dealer is going to rape me then I might have to find the time to do it myself.

·
Broke mo fo
3,184 Posts
I change mine every 5k miles when I do my oil changes. I know its over kill but I get a good deal on Wix filters and the oil so why not. I keep a spare in the truck too. I wouldn't go more than 10k on the fuel filter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i do about 10k on mine.

I have a secondary inline fuel filter sitting in a f'ing box but i just have not had time to install it yet =(

It uses CAT filters as a pre-filter, which makes it so you rarely ever change the primary filter.

I've had the CAT filter since 6k on the truck....I change the stock filter @ 15k....the CAT 10k....I've cut both open and the CAT shows signs of crap on about 40-50%...the stock one almost looks new....

With only a stock filter...I would change @ 10k....safest thing to do is to cut one open and see how it looks...then you'll get an idea on when you should change...

I usually only use additives on our trip to Shasta annually...

·
Drooling at the moment
37 Posts
I do mine every other oil change.

But i got a 7.3 PSD oil changes every 3000-4000 miles (Only thing truck is used for is pulling Toyhauler and toys) and fuel filter every other, and transmission once a year,

Not issues for reliablity 135,000 miles on a 11 year old truck

R

·
0 Posts
I change the fuel filter my self. Buy them at fleetfilter.com. Let it run out to the 5% left range and keep an extra under the back seat.

Be picky where you get your fuel and you'll not have a problem. Stay away from that purple gas station in Parker. Water in the fuel...
Superfuels? Never had a problem there. I always fuel up there before we leave. So thats at least 2-3X a month :D

·
Broke mo fo
3,184 Posts
Superfuels? Never had a problem there. I always fuel up there before we leave. So thats at least 2-3X a month :D
Ugghhh. I got a bad batch from them. Had to limp the truck all the way home. Sucked not to be able to get the truck over 60 mph. Only had 5k on the fuel filter and no spare. During the summertime I'd stay away from that place. They don't turn out enough diesel. The snow birds in the winter always fueling there helps cause they are filling their tanks more often.

R

·
0 Posts
Ugghhh. I got a bad batch from them. Had to limp the truck all the way home. Sucked not to be able to get the truck over 60 mph. Only had 5k on the fuel filter and no spare. During the summertime I'd stay away from that place. They don't turn out enough diesel. The snow birds in the winter always fueling there helps cause they are filling their tanks more often.
Winter, summer, personally I've never had a problem. Water in the truck, no big deal. Water in the 91 for the boat, now I'm gonna be pissed. But I don't buy gas there anyway.

We may stop going there now that DQ is closed.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts