Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've owned and ridden in several different boats at Havasu over the last 20 years and my last boat was a 27' Fundeck Eliminator. I was wondering what your opinions of the 23' shadow deck are and if you could be happy with the ride compared to the 27' fundeck. I'm thinking about picking one up but won't get to test ride it in Havasu. Thanks for any input you have. ( Ride, build quality, lay out of boat, performance ) Boat has 496 mag in it.

·
ERECT MEMBER
2,414 Posts
a friend of mine had one...Put a 502 in it. It was very quick, had some pretty good room in it for a 23. I never rode in it but did drive along side. Seemed to handle the rough stuff pretty damn good. He had a little baby in the boat at the time and his wife didn't seem to be concerned at all (boat bounce). He loved that boat but needed to sell due to economical times. Sorry I can't help more than that.

·
Registered
444 Posts
They normally do high 60's/low 70's with a 496Mag. The best I've seen is 74 with the mag. It's a great boat, not the ideal boat for Havasu, but there are a lot of them out there. It's great up in the gorge once you get off the lake itlsef. You don't want to be in the middle of the lake on a really windy chopped up day. As long as your smart about the conditions you go out in you'll be fine.

·
Slower Than You
557 Posts
Are you talkin about the one on craigslist? I would try an work out someway/somehow to do a seatrial @ havasu b4 i layed down close to 50gs on a boat that might not handle that lake in certain conditions.If its the one im thinkin of, it is a beautiful boat though.:)

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
They normally do high 60's/low 70's with a 496Mag. The best I've seen is 74 with the mag. It's a great boat, not the ideal boat for Havasu, but there are a lot of them out there. It's great up in the gorge once you get off the lake itlsef. You don't want to be in the middle of the lake on a really windy chopped up day. As long as your smart about the conditions you go out in you'll be fine.
^^^^^^ This from the man who built them....:D Same advice he gave us when were we looking at the 23.......ended up waiting and went with the 27 Cat....thank god we listened. Havasu can get nasty. I think the 23 is better suited to the river and Havasu on calmer days.

Just my $.02,

Chris

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
^^^^^^ This from the man who built them....:D Same advice he gave us when were we looking at the 23.......ended up waiting and went with the 27 Cat....thank god we listened. Havasu can get nasty. I think the 23 is better suited to the river and Havasu on calmer days.

Just my $.02,

Chris
Hat he said:D:D

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Nice to see ya post John! How are you? Hope things are smoothing out for you.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Have you seen the 26' deck on Ultra's website? For Havasu I would get that. I would be pretty sketched out with an open deck lower profile boat on Havi.

·
Registered
884 Posts
When I purchased my 26 deck, John was on the phone with someone looking at the 23 deck for Havasu. He told the person the 23 will work, but if Havasu gets nasty, it is not the right boat. John was very honest with the guy, one of the main reasons I purchased an ultra.

I would also contact Ultra23 (John at Ultra in Corona), he might be able to walk you though a 23 if he has one on the floor and give you additional information (maybe even a test ride so you get the feel of the boat).

·
C Ya on da lake
6,991 Posts
not the ideal boat for Havasu. As long as your smart about the conditions you go out in you'll be fine.

well stated JW! you took the words right outta my mouth. great to see ya around, hope the fam is doing great!

Also, IMO - I do not think it would be fair to compare those two boats against each other... no comparison

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Lots of fun with ours on the river, Havasu is a little to much with the big boats running around. We have the mag and are able to push 70mph in good conditions. Plenty of room to move around, definitly try to test in some rough water to get a better idea of the ride. Next boat will be a little bigger.

·
Registered
203 Posts
this is the best advise you will find, i think he might know what he's talking about:D hope everything is going good for you and the family john

·
Rubbing is Racing!!
2,837 Posts
Great little boat...:)

I have heard from a couple people that its a better lower river boat. Dosen't like huge chop and the ride gets a little bumpy because the shallower tunnels compared to the 27 Shadow.

imho comparing a 23' Shadow to a 27' Fundeck is like comparing apples and oranges:)bulb;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts