Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Some guys never learn.
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have been reading this forum and the threads about restorations on all of these old V-drives I have wondered if someone owns an old Rayson that used to belong to family friends. The boat was built around 1969 maybe a little earlier by Rayson. It was built as a promo boat for Marine World in Redwood City, CA during the early concept days of the park. I rode in the boat once on Clear Lake, Ca. I have had my mom trying to get some pics of the boat as I don't remember to much since I was only 14 at the time. I finally got my hands on some bad scans of some faded pics that I don't think will be worth posting. But at least now I can describe more info about it.

The boat was built with a blown hemi, dual quads and through hull exhaust. It had a full wood deck including engine cover with a hole for the blower. The pictures show that it has a windshield which I don't remember. The interior was done in gold and tan with all 4 seats facing forward and a big padded console over the V-drive. The lower half of the hull was white and I can't tell from the bad pics but I remember there being some dark green accent color on it as well. Also in big letters on each side of the boat it said MISS MARINE WORLD.

So I've always wondered about this boat and also maybe somebody out there has this boat and looking for some history on it.

·
Lookout I'm Crankin it Baby
6,576 Posts
I would call John Sofilos at Unlimited Marine. I believe he is now in Lakeport, CA. He is probably the one that put the boat together and he has a great memory for all this stuff. I doubt the boat was built at Rudy's. He probably has pics too....................

·
Registered
731 Posts
Rayson craft

Was the boat a 18' or 19' v?
When I worked for Rayson Craft, we built a 18' wood decker for Bill Harra? The boat was guarented to do 8o mph at Lake Tahoe. The blown 392 was out of the GOLDEN THING TFH. Rudy , Keith Black , shop foreman Don Smith and Rudy's wife Frankie, delivered the boat to Lake Tahoe. The boat made the numbers the first day.
HARLAN ORRIN

·
Some guys never learn.
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was the boat a 18' or 19' v?
When I worked for Rayson Craft, we built a 18' wood decker for Bill Harra? The boat was guarented to do 8o mph at Lake Tahoe. The blown 392 was out of the GOLDEN THING TFH. Rudy , Keith Black , shop foreman Don Smith and Rudy's wife Frankie, delivered the boat to Lake Tahoe. The boat made the numbers the first day.
HARLAN ORRIN
It was probably 19ft. No it wasn't Bill Harra. The original owner was probably the corporation that built Marine World. The guy that ordered it was named Brad Barue. Our family friend that was the second owner claimed it went 94mph with some mix of race gas. That was supposedly in the quarter mile. Original delivery to Lake Tahoe is a possibility though. The boat was only on Clear Lake when I knew of it. I'm going to work on more info.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Rayson craft

It was probably 19ft. No it wasn't Bill Harra. The original owner was probably the corporation that built Marine World. The guy that ordered it was named Brad Barue. Our family friend that was the second owner claimed it went 94mph with some mix of race gas. That was supposedly in the quarter mile. Original delivery to Lake Tahoe is a possibility though. The boat was only on Clear Lake when I knew of it. I'm going to work on more info.
I was just mentioning the boat delivered to Lake Tahoe. We built a lot of boats with that style deck. I have restored 2 18' Rayson Craft boats with open cockpit decks in the last year.
HARLAN ORRIN

·
Registered
364 Posts
Not to jack your thread but Harlan did you have anything to do with the building of that Rayson on Dragboatcity.com? That batwing is a beautiful Piece. According to the owner Rudy told him he only built 6 and that was the only one he knew was still around.:)

·
Registered
731 Posts
Rayson craft

I built the new wood deck on the boat. I would doubt Rudy would have said there was such a limited production. I could probably find pictures in my scrapbooks of more than 6 decks of this style. This is the second boat with this deck style I have done in the last 3 years.
HARLAN ORRIN

·
Some guys never learn.
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like this? This is a '65 with an hm 428.
Very similar. The interior was close but the front seats were a little old school. Not wrap around if I remember. The wood deck near the transom was shaped somewhat like a splash guard. And it actually had a windshield.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Miss Marine World

I have a photo of the boat- a partial photo..... my dad built the boat- and raced it at Clear Lake.....
your description below is pretty darn accurate.....
I will scan the photo and send it to you if you like.....

Since I have been reading this forum and the threads about restorations on all of these old V-drives I have wondered if someone owns an old Rayson that used to belong to family friends. The boat was built around 1969 maybe a little earlier by Rayson. It was built as a promo boat for Marine World in Redwood City, CA during the early concept days of the park. I rode in the boat once on Clear Lake, Ca. I have had my mom trying to get some pics of the boat as I don't remember to much since I was only 14 at the time. I finally got my hands on some bad scans of some faded pics that I don't think will be worth posting. But at least now I can describe more info about it.

The boat was built with a blown hemi, dual quads and through hull exhaust. It had a full wood deck including engine cover with a hole for the blower. The pictures show that it has a windshield which I don't remember. The interior was done in gold and tan with all 4 seats facing forward and a big padded console over the V-drive. The lower half of the hull was white and I can't tell from the bad pics but I remember there being some dark green accent color on it as well. Also in big letters on each side of the boat it said MISS MARINE WORLD.

So I've always wondered about this boat and also maybe somebody out there has this boat and looking for some history on it.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
I have a photo of the boat- a partial photo..... my dad built the boat- and raced it at Clear Lake.....
your description below is pretty darn accurate.....
I will scan the photo and send it to you if you like.....
Post the picture, i think many of us would love to see it. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
If still looking for info on v-drive or jets boats from the late 60’s and 70’s in Redwood City? Contact my pops Brad Willoughby He owned Bay Marine in Redwood City back in the day. Look up Martha Willoughby my Mom and ask for Brad. He is still in contact with Gary Healy whom built many v-drive boats in Redwood City...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts