Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We dont live in a area that is prone to wild fire. At worst we get a rogue hurricane so i dont know what the mind set is to fire...

However in the news i see this dude on his roof with a garden hose trying to beat back the fire that is engulfing the hill behind him and making its way to his house...

So the question is.. Seriously? Come the hell on now... Do they really think a garden hose is going to hold back a 140,000 acre wild fire?

maybe im missing something but personally i would pack up the truck and throw the valuables in the fire safe and hope for the best. Tell me how you have handled it..

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Common sense is not a natural gift given to all, so yes they do think they can save their home from 50ft flames, just like you can save your home from a cat5 hurricane if you go outside and hold your home down.

The only real way to protect your home from fire is INSURANCE!!

·
Premium Member
1,903 Posts
These are the idiots that put the lives of the Firemen in danger. They refuse to leave and when the fire starts to burn their house its too late. The firemen risk their lives going in after these people. I think they should let them burn.

They get plenty of warnings ahead of time to evacuate but the refuse. Did you hear about the two that were trying to "ride it out" by laying down in their hot tub full of water? Then ended up getting severe burns. Bunch of Dumbasses.

·
Registered
634 Posts
These are the idiots that put the lives of the Firemen in danger. They refuse to leave and when the fire starts to burn their house its too late. The firemen risk their lives going in after these people. I think they should let them burn.

They get plenty of warnings ahead of time to evacuate but the refuse. Did you hear about the two that were trying to "ride it out" by laying down in their hot tub full of water? Then ended up getting severe burns. Bunch of Dumbasses.
Unbelievably stupid. What were they thinking???? I've been involved in situations twice that have required evacuation. Grabbed photos and irreplaceable objects then....see ya:)hand

·
Don't Taze Me, Bro!
1,885 Posts
Kinda like me on the sundeck of our apartment in Hawthorne with a bow and arrow in August of '65. :|err

Like a 10 year old kid was going to hold off a slew of rioters from Watts with a bow and arrow. :)sphss

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
Well my only experience with fire was last years Yorba Linda fire. Scared the chit out of me. Yes me and my neighbors were hosing down our homes due to the embers flying. But the nearest house that burned on my street was about 15 houses away. The firemen left it burning after it was a lost cause to go on to the next house somewhere else. So me and my neighbors continued to use garden hoses to put the fire out so the rest of us would have a chance at saving our homes. And it worked. Only the park and the 1 house which was 3 homes away from the park was damaged. Now we were no where near the magnitude of the homes higher in the hills and didn't have to evacuate like a lot of people, but now I have 400' of fire hose and a adapter for the fire hydrant. Just in case. I quess you have to live thru it to understand how close you can lose everything.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
The same could be said for people boarding up their homes in the outer banks when a hurricane blows through. Ya never know.. BTW. The outer banks in NC is a beautiful place.:)hand

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts

Unbelievably stupid. What were they thinking???? I've been involved in situations twice that have required evacuation. Grabbed photos and irreplaceable objects then....see ya:)hand
I totally agree with you guys! I can see you trying to save your home and all your belongings (by whatever means you have available to you) BUT when the firemen say "leave" you need to LEAVE! Don't put these brave guys and girls in danger because you don't want to loose your "stuff".

"Stuff" can be replaced...lives can't!

·
Registered
82 Posts
The same could be said for people boarding up their homes in the outer banks when a hurricane blows through. Ya never know.. BTW. The outer banks in NC is a beautiful place.:)hand
Sure is!!! That is where i'm sitting right now.....Dad rented a house on the beach in NagsHead, and i'm hoping to get some more golf in if the weather behaves!!lol Today was the first day in a week that it hasn't rained....... meanwhile back at home in Cali......lol

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Sure is!!! That is where i'm sitting right now.....Dad rented a house on the beach in NagsHead, and i'm hoping to get some more golf in if the weather behaves!!lol Today was the first day in a week that it hasn't rained....... meanwhile back at home in Cali......lol

There's a good BBQ place called dicks. Check it out while your there. Enjoy!

·
Administrator
11,649 Posts
Well my only experience with fire was last years Yorba Linda fire. Scared the chit out of me. Yes me and my neighbors were hosing down our homes due to the embers flying. But the nearest house that burned on my street was about 15 houses away. The firemen left it burning after it was a lost cause to go on to the next house somewhere else. So me and my neighbors continued to use garden hoses to put the fire out so the rest of us would have a chance at saving our homes. And it worked. Only the park and the 1 house which was 3 homes away from the park was damaged. Now we were no where near the magnitude of the homes higher in the hills and didn't have to evacuate like a lot of people, but now I have 400' of fire hose and a adapter for the fire hydrant. Just in case. I quess you have to live thru it to understand how close you can lose everything.
There are a couple different levels imo and I went through it with the Grand Prix fire in 03. Fire burned right to the property line and fortunately our neighborhood had plenty of assets in place for structure protection.

The first level is protecting home (eves wet, attic vents covered) from embers from a fire that is not necessarily that close and isn't going to overrun the home. Embers accounted for countless home losses in Yorba Linda where these home were nowhere near the main fire. In this scenario if there are not firefighters there to protect there is no way in hell I'm leavin. Many of those home got embers in the attic vents, once that happens you are done.

The second level is more serious when the fire is right on top of it (normally wind driven). That is beyond the "ember only" point and time to get the hell outta Dodge. Embers under eves and little spot fires can be put out with a garden hose if you're on it. Wind driven wildfires exploding your house along with yourself into flame, searing your lungs, etc., cannot. Unfortunately I think many don't know where to draw that line and stay in a bad situation.

I left in 03. In retrospect I would not leave again until I saw fire assets in place or determined it was beyond garden hose capability. I got lucky and the assets rolled in after I was gone. Although wind driven it was still an ember scenario and about 1/2 my neighbors stayed put.

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
There are a couple different levels imo and I went through it with the Grand Prix fire in 03. Fire burned right to the property line and fortunately our neighborhood had plenty of assets in place for structure protection.

The first level is protecting home (eves wet, attic vents covered) from embers from a fire that is not necessarily that close and isn't going to overrun the home. Embers accounted for countless home losses in Yorba Linda where these home were nowhere near the main fire. In this scenario if there are not firefighters there to protect there is no way in hell I'm leavin. Many of those home got embers in the attic vents, once that happens you are done.

The second level is more serious when the fire is right on top of it (normally wind driven). That is beyond the "ember only" point and time to get the hell outta Dodge. Embers under eves and little spot fires can be put out with a garden hose if you're on it. Wind driven wildfires exploding your house along with yourself into flame, searing your lungs, etc., cannot. Unfortunately I think many don't know where to draw that line and stay in a bad situation.

I left in 03. In retrospect I would not leave again until I saw fire assets in place or determined it was beyond garden hose capability. I got lucky and the assets rolled in after I was gone. Although wind driven it was still an ember scenario and about 1/2 my neighbors stayed put.
I agree with you here Rex.... I have a few freinds that lost there homes due to be evacuated. They really regret that they left now. I'm not blaming the FD or PD because it happened so fast and there was no pre-planning by anyone. It was chaos on the streets around here. Who knew the water supply to the Hidden Hills area would be shut off to the fire hydrants. At least now there is a fire plan.

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts

x2. Is it sad that in the yucaipa fire the last couple of days, i was readyto move my truck and boat away and leave everything else behind?:)sphss

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
I saw first hand what happend to those homes in Yorba Linda and it was terrible. If you want to know what's it's like build a house out of a deck of cards, then knock them over and spray paint the pile black. Very very sad. I was up volunteering to deliver sand bags to those people so I was driving through some of the really bad areas. :mad:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Home fire protection

I hope peolple are safe in S. Ca. Im just above Folsom Lake Ca in oak and brush area. I've cleared brush back to good distance but do have some other problems I'm working on now, leave and debris cleanup under the oaks.

Does anyone know the method for making attic vent doors ? I've got vents every 8 ft or so and 2 end roof vents, single story house.

·
Administrator
11,649 Posts
I hope peolple are safe in S. Ca. Im just above Folsom Lake Ca in oak and brush area. I've cleared brush back to good distance but do have some other problems I'm working on now, leave and debris cleanup under the oaks.

Does anyone know the method for making attic vent doors ? I've got vents every 8 ft or so and 2 end roof vents, single story house.

If they are the ones under the eaves I'd just make some steel plates up to screw over them if necessary. Of course that only works if you are home when the fire threat comes along. Fine mesh screen would help a lot too I would think.

I plan to make some plates for my roof vents (mine are on the slant of the roof and sit vertical [domed ones]) that fit pretty tightly, block them in place if I ever need them and cover those with some nomex material with concrete blocks holding it all down. I need to do this because it's been 6 years and while the fuel is not heavy out back it is enough to sustain a fire again. I just got lucky last time as my vents (facing the fire and wind) were wide open. I'm guessing the FD may have thrown something over them. They foamed all my palm trees, cypress and wood patio cover etc. I cut some cypress down too that I felt were too close to the house. Those things go up like roman candles in a wind driven fire. My main concern is embers under the eaves or in the vents. I feel if I secure the vents I can chase the eaves with a couple hoses until I have the dough to enclose them in with stucco so they're flat and sealed. I try to keep combustible shit away from the house also so I don't have so much to move if a fire threat comes along. I've even gone over my back wall and put weed killer down after the last fire (scorched the ground clean) out 100ft, so I've got 250 ft clear total in back (direction Santa Ana's typically blow from). I do this as necessary to keep it bare ground back there. But that doesn't stop the blowing embers, only keeps the big flame further away. The flame length back there last time was huge. I have power line poles that run up this area and I think they are 60 footers. The fire burned them all off at the bases except for a couple and the flames were half again as high as the poles as a conservative estimate. There is a lot of rock in back of my home, not on my property. It burned so hot many of them were broken from the heat. I have pictures somewhere of all that, I need to find those.

The Grand Prix fire was a big wake up call for me and I was pretty fire aware even before that.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

But thats a measure you do before you leave.. When the .gov says "You need to leave" like 4 days ahead of time.. People get the hell out of there. A large Cat 3 or a 4 will serioulsy F you and your house up... A cat one or a small 2? Well those could be ridden out..

regardless i hope all you cats stay safe on the other side.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I had someone say that Socal folks were idiots for building in a fire zone...hell the whole place is a fire zone... apparently we are suicidal:)devil

Remember the one house in the Griffith Park fire that stood alone when the rest of the neighborhood burned? The guy rigged a pump to the pool and had rainbirds plumbed on the roof...fire? Turn off the pool pump and turn on the rainbird pump. If the guy had thought that far ahead I bet he had also kept up with the brush clearence, etc.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
But thats a measure you do before you leave.. When the .gov says "You need to leave" like 4 days ahead of time.. People get the hell out of there. A large Cat 3 or a 4 will serioulsy F you and your house up... A cat one or a small 2? Well those could be ridden out..

regardless i hope all you cats stay safe on the other side.

I've seen where they ride it out. Particularly in Florida. To protect the house and looters. I don't blame people.

I've got insurance that will replace everything.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts