Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Can I run the wire(off the alt) straight to the battery or does it have to go to the gang/junction block? Does someone make a wire connector large enough to put 2 10ga.wires in?? That would be easier.how about run it to where the battery cable mounts to the starter?
Yes you can run it right to the battery. I usally use a small battery cable when I do it.

·
138 Posts

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm all out of slots... I'll either run the alt. to the battery. Or maybe move the hot that goes to the dash, over to the starter(where the pos. cable is).:)coffee Edit: that little jumper is pretty slick..

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
Standing behind the boat looking at the terminal block, from left to right it should be wired:

1 - Ground
2 - Dash ignition switch "common" terminal
3 - Hot at all times
4 - Hot in "Start"
5- Hot in "Run"
6 - Oil pressure sender
7 - Water temp sender
8 - Tach signal

Usually the wire that runs from the terminal block to the common terminal on the dash ignition switch comes off of terminal 2 while the charge wire from the alternator goes to the "Hot at all times" terminal on the starter, then another wire runs from there to terminal 3. Then you would make a jumper and install that between terminals 2 and 3.

Wired this way, you wouldn't end up with two wires on the same terminal.

My question is, what is currently occupying terminals 2 and 3 on the terminal block?

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
From the left #2 spot is my oil temp sending. The front of #3 goes to the alt. In the back,one goes to the dash, the other goes to starter,pos. cable. I'll put up a pic in a minute. I thought of doing it like Shaun said also. I wouldn't doubt there is a better way than the way I have it now. I didn't pay much attn. to the order, I just wanted to make sure the hot and ground terminals weren't under the dist so I could get at them while on the water if necessary.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
6-gauge terminal lug will take 2 10's, although it will only properly fit a fairly LARGE stud/bolt.
I think an 8-gauge is a tad too small.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts