Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a JG that is just starting to blow a little gear oil out the back. Can I add some type of sealant to stop the minor oil leak and then repair it this winter? If I can put in some type of additive what should it be?

·
Sit N' Spin
1,345 Posts
The center plug at the back of the bowl unscrews. You may have to remove the nozzle and the droop if you have one to get to it. But I don't see why you couldn't remove the plug and put some sort of sealant on the backside of the plug flange. Maybe some of the pros can chime in on this one.

Or if you feel like removing the bowl, pull the bowl and remove the shaft seal and the center plug and let them water lubricate. I did that to my pump the first season I ran it when I had a JC bowl and it worked flawlessly with no issues.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,635 Posts
I have a JG that is just starting to blow a little gear oil out the back. Can I add some type of sealant to stop the minor oil leak and then repair it this winter? If I can put in some type of additive what should it be?
i don't like doin it but you can replace 1 of your bowl plugs with a grease zert, pull the other out and just fill it with grease to get ya thru the summer or until you can do bushings and seals on the bowl.

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i don't like doin it but you can replace 1 of your bowl plugs with a grease zert, pull the other out and just fill it with grease to get ya thru the summer or until you can do bushings and seals on the bowl.
I was thinking more of some type of additive like you would add to your motor oil to stop a minor seal leak until you can fix it...any luck with that type of quick fix..

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,635 Posts
I was thinking more of some type of additive like you would add to your motor oil to stop a minor seal leak until you can fix it...any luck with that type of quick fix..
brake fluid swells seals:D i wouldn't recommend it through, how bout some of that super sticky/thick lucas gear lube, that might stay where the basic fluid won't.

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
brake fluid swells seals:D i wouldn't recommend it through, how bout some of that super sticky/thick lucas gear lube, that might stay where the basic fluid won't.
I have heard of guys pumping grease into the bowl...what is the downside to that..and usually how much grease does that bowl hold when you pump it in like that? Also the Lucas thing sounds intersting..

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,635 Posts
I have heard of guys pumping grease into the bowl...what is the downside to that..and usually how much grease does that bowl hold when you pump it in like that? Also the Lucas thing sounds intersting..
i put some of that lucas gear oil for a customer last wk when i went thru his frt differential, man the stuff is just plain ole sticky and so much thicker than regular ole gearlube.

lots of guys do grease their bowls instead of lube like they should. you just pull out the other plug and pump till the grease comes outta it, just like you would lube. downside is that it don't flow like lube and they're won't do near the job, but its better than nothing at all in there.

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
End Cap Screw

Because I have a droop I can't see the end cap screw..how often do they come loose and if I run the boat before I can look at it is there a chance it can come completely off..

·
Jet boat service
119 Posts
You have a seal gone bad but the bearings will lubricate in water. I would run till the season is over then pull the bowl. Replace the seal and put in some new bearings. Just don't run on the trailer. I have taken many Berks apart that had bad seals for years and the water kept the bearings alive. Jim :)

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
You have a seal gone bad but the bearings will lubricate in water. I would run till the season is over then pull the bowl. Replace the seal and put in some new bearings. Just don't run on the trailer. I have taken many Berks apart that had bad seals for years and the water kept the bearings alive. Jim :)
Should I keep adding gear oil as needed or just let the water lubricate everything? At this point I assume it is nothing to worry about and still take care of it this winter? How about the idea of still adding something to the oil to stop the leak?

·
Premium Member
7,314 Posts
Good answer ! bowl plugs rarely leak but something as insignificant as fishing monofiliment cant cause a bowl seal to fail Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.