Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo I finally got my replacement carb from jegs, and was hoping to hit the lake tomorrow. 1st problem my newley rebuilt starter is already on the rag...wtf. Before I take this back to the generator shop, what's your guys opinion of what's going on here. Here meaning I'll try to stick up a youtube link of what it's doing. After I shot this vid I hit the starter with a wrench a couple of times ,and it lit off about the 3rd or 4th click.(maybe that had nothing to do with it, I dunno). When it started gas trickled out of both front and rear sight holes. I always thought the fuel level was supposed to be at the bottom of the windows and not come out. A buddy at work was telling me the level is supposed to be in the center of the window, now I'm confused.lol
The vid may take me a minute bare with me.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePMRf4khks4

·
Registered
388 Posts
You need a bigger hammer.
x2

Seriously though, a Holley brand float bowl is designed to have the fuel at the bottom of the screw in sight plug hole. Demon float bowls and the aluminum float bowl Quick Fuel now use(i think Braswell makes them) are designed to have the fuel level in the middle of the sight glass. I might add these are base line settings.

A higher float level will start the fuel flow to the boosters sooner vs a lower level will delay. This can be used to tune to a degree.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
x2

Seriously though, a Holley brand float bowl is designed to have the fuel at the bottom of the screw in sight plug hole. Demon float bowls and the aluminum float bowl Quick Fuel now use(i think Braswell makes them) are designed to have the fuel level in the middle of the sight glass. I might add these are base line settings.

A higher float level will start the fuel flow to the boosters sooner vs a lower level will delay. This can be used to tune to a degree.
Thanks Josh that makes alot of sense...this guy is a big deamon fan.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Should trickle.
Crap...I thought we had a new guy. Nice avatar:)grn Ummm trickle?? ..Battery didn't take much of a charge. It made the same noise pulling it on the the trailer last time.

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Crap...I thought we had a new guy. Nice avatar:)grn Ummm trickle?? ..Battery didn't take much of a charge. It made the same noise pulling it on the the trailer last time.
Your fuel should just slightly trickle from the bowl on that carb. (bottom of the window)

Starter needs the hammer. lol

You sure there isnt a bad bushing in that starter? It almost sounds like it is stuck in the ring gear but hard to tell for sure through the vid. Put it in the vise and try it?

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Your fuel should just slightly trickle from the bowl on that carb. (bottom of the window)

Starter needs the hammer. lol

You sure there isnt a bad bushing in that starter? It almost sounds like it is stuck in the ring gear but hard to tell for sure through the vid. Put it in the vise and try it?
I've got a top mount reverse rotation deal, I don't know if they have the bushing you're talking about or not. It doesn't sound like any other starter "click" Ive ever heard. I've had the charger on it for a while and it started a little better, I don't know if I'd call it normal though. I might stick up a vid in a few.. EDIT you can't really here much but here is the vid. I hope it starts tomorrow.lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_GjvymClbY

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
I've got a top mount reverse rotation deal, I don't know if they have the bushing you're talking about or not. It doesn't sound like any other starter "click" Ive ever heard. I've had the charger on it for a while and it started a little better, I don't know if I'd call it normal though. I might stick up a vid in a few.. EDIT you can't really here much but here is the vid. I hope it starts tomorrow.lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_GjvymClbY
Sounds like the batt is still a little low.

That engine sounds MUCH happier than before. In the other vids it just didnt sit right with my ear for some reason.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I've got a top mount reverse rotation deal, I don't know if they have the bushing you're talking about or not. It doesn't sound like any other starter "click" Ive ever heard. I've had the charger on it for a while and it started a little better, I don't know if I'd call it normal though.
i'm gonna go out on a limb here, but, is it possible that u have the wrong gear on the end of the starter?...i personally have never seen a reverse rototion starter, but, thats just me...if the gear is wrong, it could be causeing all ur probs & noise! :)...worth checking...just my .02 cents

FastRat

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like the batt is still a little low.

That engine sounds MUCH happier than before. In the other vids it just didnt sit right with my ear for some reason.
I'm crossing my fingers that it starts ...and runs tomorrow. I may need a new battery, I probably wouldn't be worried if it(starter) hadn't done the same crap at the end of my last trip out. Oh well, it only has to start once.:)grn

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
I have always understood the fuel should just trickle out of the hole with the carburetor level.

From my own experience, when the fuel just slightly dribbles out of the bottom of the hole, and the 'HOLLEY' sight glass is then screwed in place, the fuel level will appear as if it is about half way up the glass. Other brands may do the same thing, I don't know.

It would be almost impossible to adjust the fuel level half way up an open hole. You would end up with an engine being flooded with gas on the outside. That would not be a good idea.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My starter apparently need something but it started once:)grn A couple of last carb questions. Today the water was ruff as chit, so I nailed it wot at alot lower r's than usual, just about died completely. I'm not talking a little bog here.lol I assume this is a cam/shooter adj. Sound like more fuel or less?? Also if this carb doesn't have spring loaded floats should that concern me? I may go boat again in the morning, I'm too lazy to pull it apart tonite and check. Btw it has plastic floats, what's the verdict on those. FWIW the carb is an 8082 domi. thanks..... Kreg

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You set the idle circuit with your wide band?
Based on the wideband, I'm pretty rich at idle(11.1 ish). I haven't touched anything on this new carb yet. I wasn't out there very long today, it was pretty ruff. At least it wasn't popping at high r's, I got a lil air today.:)grn

1 - 20 of 42 Posts