Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
It is what it is
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's not much, it's only 4 days but this time I'm trying hard to kick it. I think once I get past the first week it will be better. I've quit for over a year about three years ago. Before that I had quit once for 3 years. It's been a bad habit on and off since I was in my late teens in the Army.

I'm doing cold turkey, it's always worked for me in the past. What usually kills it, is after a year or so, you believe your over it, you go to a party and have one or two, and it's back to being a full time smoker.

I really want to live long enough to see my kids have grandkids.

Plus I'm taking the two hundred dollars I was spending on cigarettes a month and buying myself something to reward myself for quiting. I may need it for insurance on the new boat........ I think my rates are going to go up considerably. lol.

G

·
I know it's not much, it's only 4 days but this time I'm trying hard to kick it. I think once I get past the first week it will be better. I've quit for over a year about three years ago. Before that I had quit once for 3 years. It's been a bad habit on and off since I was in my late teens in the Army.

I'm doing cold turkey, it's always worked for me in the past. What usually kills it, is after a year or so, you believe your over it, you go to a party and have one or two, and it's back to being a full time smoker.

Plus I'm taking the two hundred dollars I was spending on cigarettes a month and buying myself something to reward myself for quiting. I may need it for insurance on the new boat........ I think my rates are going to go up considerably. lol.
Good luck Paul. If you find yourself struggling there is a med named Chantix that really helps. It's been almost 2years for me and I can say with conviction that I will NEVER smoke again.

Something else that has helped me when I've had the urge to smoke, is remembering that I don't smoke anymore.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Good luck Paul. If you find yourself struggling there is a med named Chantix that really helps. It's been almost 2years for me and I can say with conviction that I will NEVER smoke again.

Something else that has helped me when I've had the urge to smoke, is remembering that I don't smoke anymore.

Well spoken words! Chantix worked for me as well. Good luck with the "cold turkey" approach.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
let's hear more about this chantix. i realllllly wanna quit right now but i'd be on the edge if i did.

·
I am Roger..the Shrubber
1,080 Posts
The hardest part is the first three days. I've heard the nicotine leaves your system after 24hrs but I call BS on that.

I've chewed for years, quit multiple times for over a year. Cold turkey no cravings but....get a cocktail in me, fishing or out on a baseball field and it starts all over again.

I have found the oral fixation is more habitual that the actual nicotine. For chewing tobaccy, sunflower seeds make an easy solution. Just make sure you don't turn your nicotine cravings into food. Everyone I know who tries to quit does this and they always say "when I quit smoking I gained 25lbs...I have no clue how". Try carrots instead of burgers. Nic fits only last about 15 minutes. Walk away from your desk, go outside...do whatever to get through that feeling. It will pass.

You've gone 4 days. Next goal should be a month, then 6 months, then a year. You should forget about it after that. Just try not to do any routines that allow you access to cigs for at least 6 months.

Good for you on your desire to quit. Good luck.

·
The Man
1,788 Posts
Good luck man, I know alot of guys that have tried and just can't do it. Makes me glad I never started really. Only smoke when I drink, but I'll go through a few packs a night when I'm drinkin' :D

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
Very Happy to hear all you guys talking about "quitting" the smoke thing!
I "stopped" for over 6 years and started again, this now is the second time around not smoking since july 12 last summer, I have never felt so glad that I "quit" the second time (A big difference between quitting and stopping!), I feel that the first time I "stopped", I always told myself that I could have one at anytime I wished, but now realized that My mind was playing tricks on me, and was eventually going to start again!
Now that I know I cannot have another, It has been much easier on me!
I have now "Quit" smoking, and do not want another, and have not had a craving in quite some time!
Good luck you guys, its not that bad once you make the decision that you cannot and do not want another "Grit"!
First two weeks is a bitch, but the moment that you take a walk, then, the very next time you take the same walk you will notice a tremendous difference in your breathing!
Not trying to sound like the healthiest guy on the block here, but man! I feel so much healthier now that I can wake up and breath fresh air, not a combo of smoke and air!

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts

500 - 700.00 a year is going up from your Ultra? What were you payin? ;) :D

Switch to the dark side Paul..

RD

·
Registered
246 Posts
I just quit on Jan 1st. It a pointless habit at best, and a ruthless addiction for sure. I have also quit a few times like you for 1-2 years then also think I can just have a smoke after drinking. It never works, I am back to 1-2 packs a day within a week. I have friends that can just smoke when they drink, and not touch another one for weeks or months. I hate them, lol.

Like someone else said before, you have to convince yourself you are no longer a smoker. I know now that I can never smoke just 'one' again, so it's just no longer an option.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts

Plus I'm taking the two hundred dollars I was spending on cigarettes a month and buying myself something to reward myself for quiting. I may need it for insurance on the new boat........ I think my rates are going to go up considerably. lol.[/quote]

COUGH IT UP chompers...... whats the plan? Good for you on kicking the hibit. I need to do the same thing ! Pretty dumb when you think what its doing to us, and the WASTED money spent on them. WHAT ARE YOU BUYING.....

G

·
COUGH IT UP chompers...... whats the plan? Good for you on kicking the habit. I need to do the same thing ! Pretty dumb when you think what its doing to us, and the WASTED money spent on them. WHAT ARE YOU BUYING.....
I don't think he is talking about it yet.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts