Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
GETTING MY DAUGHTER A NEWER CAR FOR CHRISTMAS...........

SHE WANTS A PT CRUISER.............I HEARD THERE TOTAL JUNK AND I SAID NO

NOW SHE CAME UP WITH A NEWER VW BUG ? MY MECHANIC SAID HE DOESNT HAVE ANYTHING BAD TO SAY ABOUT THEM

ANYBODY HAD 1 OR HAVE ONE.........:hmmm:

SHE JUST DOESNT LIKE NORMAL SMALL CARS LIKE HONDA/TOYOTAS/NISSANS

PAGEING MR EVILFORCE :grin::confused:

·
Registered
209 Posts
My mom has had one of each....they both suck to work on....and rememeber...daughters always have daddy fix her car...so be smart...get her a Honda. (Actually...a mid 70's Chevy pickup would be best...) 99.9% of all "first" cars get hammered and beat on anyway...lol. Dhe can get what she wants when she's got her own dough...

·
Registered
24 Posts
VW

Went thru this a few moths ago. Bought a 2013 bug for my daughter.
So far, no issues. Runs, drives, and corners like its on rails.

I did look/drive other brands. All in about the same price range as the VW.
PT Cruiser - No.
Nissan - No. Transmission similiar to a utility quad. One gear. Think mini-bike.
Toyota - Ok. The "S" model was okay. Its a Toyota. Everyone has one.
Honda - Looked at the Civic. Nice car, seemed under powered. Again, everyone has one.
Hyundai, Kia - nice looking, just liked the way the VW handled better.
Chevy - Cruze. ok. Looked like the others in this class.
Ford - Focus. Run, Don,t walk, away from this one. Just got rid of a 2012 SE. The transmission is the absolute worst. Basically, a manual trans made to be an automatic. Long story on this one, and the ending isn't good.
I've heard the older ones are good, but I've not driven one.

I did look at the some of the used cars out there, but some were junk, most overpriced, and some people feel "low mileage" is anywhere under 200,000 miles.
I wasn't looking for a new/newer car, but in the end it was the better choice.
I'm sure others folks have had great success with some of the other brands that I listed.

These are just my opinions/findings in researching a car for my daughter.

I purchased hers from Ontario VW. An actual good experience with them.

Hope this helps.

CT.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Mike, the VW TDI's are great, killer mileage and run like a scalded cat, and handles like on rails as has been said before. Wifes car is a 09 Jetta TDI and is always in the upper 40 mpg, my kids 2000 bug is over 50mpg. The PT are junk! The gassers are good just no where near the millage as the TDI.

·
Registered
836 Posts
people actually WANT pt cruisers? wow...

has she thought about a mini cooper? they're pretty fun cars to drive and we were getting mid 30's out of our 2009.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
If she likes the PT and you don't like many others, have a look at the HHR. My wife has been driving the wheels off one for the past 8 years. I have had zero issues with this car, except the usual brakes and tires. Just my $.02!

·
Registered
499 Posts
We have a 03' Jetta TDI. Always gets mid, upper 40's in mileage. Maintenance is minimal... Safety ratings for a mid size, put it in the top 2. They say the 02'-03' are the holy grail of the TDI's. No emissions crap, just a nice turbo diesel simple motor w/ 5 speed... To me, I would not put my kids in a bug. Just too small, but I do not know the safety ratings of them...
i have no experience with the gas models.....

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Car for daughter

GETTING MY DAUGHTER A NEWER CAR FOR CHRISTMAS...........

SHE WANTS A PT CRUISER.............I HEARD THERE TOTAL JUNK AND I SAID NO

NOW SHE CAME UP WITH A NEWER VW BUG ? MY MECHANIC SAID HE DOESNT HAVE ANYTHING BAD TO SAY ABOUT THEM

ANYBODY HAD 1 OR HAVE ONE.........:hmmm:

SHE JUST DOESNT LIKE NORMAL SMALL CARS LIKE HONDA/TOYOTAS/NISSANS

PAGEING MR EVILFORCE :grin::confused:

Do yourself and your Daughter a favor! Buy her a Honda Civic!
Dave (Retired Tech/Auto Instructor)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
We have a 03' Jetta TDI. Always gets mid, upper 40's in mileage. Maintenance is minimal... Safety ratings for a mid size, put it in the top 2. They say the 02'-03' are the holy grail of the TDI's. No emissions crap, just a nice turbo diesel simple motor w/ 5 speed... To me, I would not put my kids in a bug. Just too small, but I do not know the safety ratings of them...
i have no experience with the gas models.....
The Bug, Jetta and Golf are all the same car under the sheet metal. My 2001 TDI has 235,000 miles, 45 mpg, great cars!

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
I have an 04 PT Turbo and I love it, anything is a POS if you don't take care of it.

·
Registered
19,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
this is her 2nd car she is off in college..her 2001 blazer keeps haveing issues.........
think were gonna go with 2010 2011 honda im gonna have to check the safety rateings on diff models..i hate small cars if i had it my way i would put her in a big ol suberban

·
Registered
499 Posts
Love the mileage of our VW, but finding a mechanic to work on Honda's are probably WAY more plentiful than VW mechanics... Plus cheaper I'm sure....
Honda's run forever and are great throwaway cars :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
If she likes the PT and you don't like many others, have a look at the HHR. My wife has been driving the wheels off one for the past 8 years. I have had zero issues with this car, except the usual brakes and tires. Just my $.02!
X2 2009 HHR 80,000 miles no problems!

·
Registered
19,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
she just texted me how about the HONDA PICK UP or HONDA SUV

·
Registered
19,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
were gonna go ahead and do this over thanksgiveing 4 day weekend instead of christmas.......she is comeing home from college....i just told her to drive her balzer home and she can take her newer suv/truck back to college with her........

she just texted to me how about the nissan frontier 4 door pick up or toyota 4 door pick up ...im talking 2008 and newer around 75xxx or less her blazer has 198xxx
this is gonna be a hard choice....just gonna have to do alot of looking and research..
she is a out doorzy type alot of beach/camping/bikeing so that why she doesnt want the standard car..her 4x4 mini blazer she loves but its killing my pocket book in repairs.......over 3k this year alone :bangmyhead:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts