Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some general info on these systems. They see like a pretty good bang for the buck. Seems like used systems are in the $2500-$3500 range. Will they support 700-800 hp on a 500+ CI Chevy? What if you changed them from draw through to blow through? I am looking at putting one in my Placecraft mini daycruiser. Not concerned with building a drag boat engine but more of a high speed lake cruiser. Any general info and thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Jason.

·
Some guy
3,636 Posts
I need some general info on these systems. They see like a pretty good bang for the buck. Seems like used systems are in the $2500-$3500 range. Will they support 700-800 hp on a 500+ CI Chevy? What if you changed them from draw through to blow through? I am looking at putting one in my Placecraft mini daycruiser. Not concerned with building a drag boat engine but more of a high speed lake cruiser. Any general info and thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Jason.
Keep in mind that the Rajay 301E1.0 turbos were chosen to run on a 454 base engine, so you may want a larger turbo, or at least a larger exhaust housing on a 500 cu in engine, otherwise no problem making the power.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
My 496 Race Arrow is over 1000 hp at 17# boost on E-85 with RayJay 301E's.

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Keep in mind that the Rajay 301E1.0 turbos were chosen to run on a 454 base engine, so you may want a larger turbo, or at least a larger exhaust housing on a 500 cu in engine, otherwise no problem making the power.
+1 :))THumbsUp

And if you change it over to blowthrough it will run cleaner, start easier and you wont have to worry about vacuum drawing oil from the seals in the turbos. Also a little more power potential because the turbos will only be moving air.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys!
What about running through transom exhaust with these units? I see it on the Race Arrow setup,what about the Banks? I would like to run though transom and possibly with a engine cover.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts

And if you change it over to blowthrough it will run cleaner, start easier and you wont have to worry about vacuum drawing oil from the seals in the turbos. Also a little more power potential because the turbos will only be moving air.
But if you convert the rayjay turbo set-up over to a blow through, you lose the benefit of the intercooler that most are set up with.
In that regard, I feel you lose horsepower potential by not running the intercooler.

·
Some guy
3,636 Posts

That's fine if you want to fabricate something, but I have done plenty of "old school" turbo engines that are reliable, start easily, and don't blow oil out the exhaust from the turbos.

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
But if you convert the rayjay turbo set-up over to a blow through, you lose the benefit of the intercooler that most are set up with.
In that regard, I feel you lose horsepower potential by not running the intercooler.
I would mod that cooler to set on the carb

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
That's fine if you want to fabricate something, but I have done plenty of "old school" turbo engines that are reliable, start easily, and don't blow oil out the exhaust from the turbos.

I know that the old draw through deals ran OK once started, what I was referring to is when the engine has been setting for a week or two, when you pump the throttle you aren't putting fuel into the manifold, you are putting it into the carb box and have to crank till it finally makes its way to the engine. Putting the carb on the manifold cures this.

·
Some guy
3,636 Posts
I know that the old draw through deals ran OK once started, what I was referring to is when the engine has been setting for a week or two, when you pump the throttle you aren't putting fuel into the manifold, you are putting it into the carb box and have to crank till it finally makes its way to the engine. Putting the carb on the manifold cures this.
They are not difficult to start, even after sitting for months. I raced a Schiada with a Gentry system for a number of years.

Fuel injected would be even better too, but for a low dollar, reliable setup, the old draw through systems are great.

·
Registered Parker Allstar
635 Posts
Thanks Guys!
What about running through transom exhaust with these units? I see it on the Race Arrow setup,what about the Banks? I would like to run though transom and possibly with a engine cover.
I ran my race aero setup with a hatch also and thru transom exhaust. Had the banks system on there before the race aero system. Here is a pic with the hatch on it. Still pretty low profile!

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
This is how I plan on making my Banks set up into a blow thru deal. I had the cooler machined to fit on top of the carb. This is just a mock up and not the carb and manifold I will probably use.
Great job! :))THumbsUp I like that your holding it down with the carb studs.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
This has been a thought of mine as well if I decided to go blow thru...neat idea. I will echo Barry though...my draw thru never had an issue starting, and I kind of liked that it would whip over a bit when cold to get some oil moving.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
I would mod that cooler to set on the carb
That would look pretty funky to have that big intercooler sitting on top of the carburetor.
It looks like after the air goes through the intercooler cores, the air flow would be totally inconsistent
with being a good idea.

I haven't tried it, so who knows.

I didn't know the Rayjays had a problem with sucking oil into the fuel system if they weren't totally worn out
or damaged.
They're still used on airplanes, they must not be too bad.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
This is how I plan on making my Banks set up into a blow thru deal. I had the cooler machined to fit on top of the carb. This is just a mock up and not the carb and manifold I will probably use.
Are you going to use the cooler cores with that set-up or just have a blow through deal??

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
That would look pretty funky to have that big intercooler sitting on top of the carburetor.
It looks like after the air goes through the intercooler cores, the air flow would be totally inconsistent
with being a good idea.

I haven't tried it, so who knows.

I didn't know the Rayjays had a problem with sucking oil into the fuel system if they weren't totally worn out
or damaged.
They're still used on airplanes, they must not be too bad.
I think the design would actually straighten the airflow as it passes through those cores in the cooler.

Your correct about the ray-j's. But I wore a couple of them out and getting them rebuilt was going to cost more than purchasing two brand new set of turbonetic turbos that actually had more power potential. Then you get to contend with the fact that most aftermarket turbos don't have the carbon seals on the compressor side to deal with being used in a draw through configuration.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts