Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
triple digit sightseer
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so i just got my race pumps.com fuel pump back from an update rebuild for my bbc, installed it back on the engine and go to fire it up and have fuel pouring out of the vent hole on the front side of the pump. its almost like they forgot to put some orings back in the pump... i heard somewhere that new pumps don't have the vent hole and they no longer use orings in tip... did they forget to plug the hole or just screw up the rebuild? any one have any ideas? thanks... and so much for being on the water this holiday weekend...

·
Ain't Right Racin
1,706 Posts
Screwed up. What pump ?

·
RAT PATROL
268 Posts
when this has happened to me, it was a bad diaphragm, it is a fairly strait forward repair.I always had a spare with me in the truck so it can done in a short period of time rather than shipping it out.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
That pump doesnt have a diaphram, you'll need to talk to Howard and see what he has to say. He will make it right if something wasnt done correctly. You must have an older design pump. All the ones i've had my hands on dont have a vent hole.

·
RAT PATROL
268 Posts
That pump doesnt have a diaphram, you'll need to talk to Howard and see what he has to say. He will make it right if something wasnt done correctly. You must have an older design pump. All the ones i've had my hands on dont have a vent hole.

my bad I was thinking of a super flow/magna fuel, electric pump, carry on

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I've never seen a vent hole on one. That's why I ask. Send it back to them. they will make it right. Good people to deal with.
Thanks
Duane HTP

·
triple digit sightseer
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
racepump update

i wasn't very impressed with the customer service i had on the phone, more like accusing me of not installing it properly, they wouldn't prepay shipping back to fix it either...
so i finally got the pump back nearly a month after sending it out again, i will be installing it later today to see if its actually fixed...
overall, NOT an enjoyable experience, i know i will not be doing any more business with them in the future.

i do want to thank fellow member Fonz69 for the use of his race pump to get the boat back on the water until the issues with mine were resolved.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Me too, cause mine has been great, and if you ask to talk directly to Howard Steward he is very helpful and a pleasure to do business with. Their customer relations have been top notch as far as I'm concerned.

·
triple digit sightseer
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my pump was "updated" to their new specs two years ago. had a problem with the pump wearing out the o-rings on the plunger shaft engine side within a couple hours of use after a new o-ring kit... called them up, explained the situation, they said to send it in and they'd look at it... afterwards on the phone, when i was paying for it, i was told it was the old design and that it needed the update kit installed...(which the pump already had done to it, i have the receipt) i was also told that they had a run of some bad o-rings from the same time frame, which my rebuild kits came from too... so whether it had bad o-rings or something damaged inside or ??? i don't know for sure...

after sending the pump back in the second time due to the massive fuel leak upon re-install, i never got a straight answer, but it sounded like they forgot to put some o-rings back in the pump when they did the rebuild.

also, i never got a chance to install the re-rebuilt pump today to see if it's actually fixed, instead i ended up at the hospital awaiting the arrival of my first child...:)

·
Registered
436 Posts
my pump was "updated" to their new specs two years ago. had a problem with the pump wearing out the o-rings on the plunger shaft engine side within a couple hours of use after a new o-ring kit... called them up, explained the situation, they said to send it in and they'd look at it... afterwards on the phone, when i was paying for it, i was told it was the old design and that it needed the update kit installed...(which the pump already had done to it, i have the receipt) i was also told that they had a run of some bad o-rings from the same time frame, which my rebuild kits came from too... so whether it had bad o-rings or something damaged inside or ??? i don't know for sure...

after sending the pump back in the second time due to the massive fuel leak upon re-install, i never got a straight answer, but it sounded like they forgot to put some o-rings back in the pump when they did the rebuild.

also, i never got a chance to install the re-rebuilt pump today to see if it's actually fixed, instead i ended up at the hospital awaiting the arrival of my first child...:)
Hey John. New rug rat????? I ran that pump for two seasons with zero troubles until you bought the boat, oh yea I kinda miss it now. How did you or where did you get the pic of what was my boat in your avatar?? Can you steal pics form me off this sight?? Well anyhow maybe I am jealous that I couldn't figure out how to do it. Oh yea just finished with a weeks worth of hot sticking H structure 69KV crossarms, pretty fuzzy. We are still looking for one lineman and two if I can figure a way to move to Missouri. still haven't sent your plates.

·
triple digit sightseer
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey John. New rug rat????? I ran that pump for two seasons with zero troubles until you bought the boat, oh yea I kinda miss it now. How did you or where did you get the pic of what was my boat in your avatar?? Can you steal pics from me off this sight?? Well anyhow maybe I am jealous that I couldn't figure out how to do it. Oh yea just finished with a weeks worth of hot sticking H structure 69KV crossarms, pretty fuzzy. We are still looking for one lineman and two if I can figure a way to move to Missouri. still haven't sent your plates.

yes, got the pic off of here, but have been meaning to update it, i might try to do so while i am still sitting in the hospital.... still no baby...:)coffee, nope, getting sent home now, i might get to finish fixing the boat and take the boat out after all this weekend :)bulb.

work sounds like fun, i spent most of this last week in kirksville, mo on storm work for ameren... and the week before in chicago on com ed... long hours and lots of fun, as always...

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
If the pic is on the internet, you can pretty much move it anywhere you like.

The racepump is kind of like a magneto, and a shopping cart. Sometimes you get a good one, sometimes you don't. Right Hass?:D
Right, kinda like an MSD box-distibutor-mag. pickup. Right Bob? :p

Congrats on the new Kid, redcat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts