Performance Boats Forum banner

Radial vs. bias ply tires

3K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Big River Dog 
#1 ·
Two of my Carlisles are shot and I want to replace them prior to going to Havi for the weekend. I've had enough with the Carlisles on my big boat though...they are fine on the lighter loads, but I ate two in one trip last year.

So, I can get the Greenball tires for $59 (bias) or $65 (radial). $6 per tire (and $1 per warranty) isn't worth fussing over, but any reason not to run a radial? I have heard good things about the bias in the trailer application as well (heat dissapation).

#16 ·
First I have to say I'm sorry here, but I have to jump in.
Bias ply tires because of there sidewall cord body (bias as in 45 degree) all run hotter by design. It is true that they are more stable because the sidewall is stiffer therefore they are forced into a corner and run striaght by design.
But how many of you guys still have 8 track tape players? Radial tires by design run cooler, ride smooter and turn better. 14" radials are made up to a "G" load rating. The biggest issue I see is this. If you buy a higher load range tire it only holds that load at max air pressure. That's to say if you put 35 lbs of air in a 55 lb max higher load range tire it only holds the load of the lower 35 lb tire.
So if you want to make sure your good, load your boat with all the gear, fuel and other equipment. Head over to your local truck stop and put just the trailer on the scale. Pay the $9 and you have the load of your boat. Every tire has its load weight in lbs on the sidewall. (At 35 lbs this tire is rated at 1,700 lbs) example. Take your weight and divide it by the number of tires. Example 6,000 lb trailer weight with a tandem axle trailer you would divide by 4. Therefore your trailer tires would need a minimum of 1,500 lb load range each.
It's that easy. I always buy a tire that has a few hundred pounds more weight capacity than I need. And just keep the air in them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.