Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've asked this question several times to the raylar email but have not gotten any answers. Here it is... What kind of HP/TQ increases can you expect with a new set of raylar 496 aluminum heads and the addition of dana powerflow exhaust ex-2000 along with their fuel pressure regulator upgrade? Would the ECU need to be remapped? I have a Advantage Sport Cat 28 open bow 496 HO with a Bravo 1 22 prop. I would like more midrange and some upper end. Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
408 Posts
It sounds like your shopping for only one part of the bck-103 kit and headers, unless you get the whole thing as in the complete kit your not going to gain much. You better call Ray before you do anything.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Ray will be able to provide exact details for your request, but we dyno'd a
Raylar 103 kit with our Dana Marine exhaust. The results were close to 560 HP and 604 ft lbs of torque. I'll pull the dyno sheet and get it posted on our website for your reference.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here I am! Dazed and Confused?

FREAKDAVE:

Give me a call toll free @ 866-496-8181 and I 'll give you all the info and rpicing on Raylar upgrades for your 496. I did not receive any emails in our website email box, not sure why, I receive a lot every day.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

·
Registered
5 Posts
for real

Ray will be able to provide exact details for your request, but we dyno'd a
Raylar 103 kit with our Dana Marine exhaust. The results were close to 560 HP and 604 ft lbs of torque. I'll pull the dyno sheet and get it posted on our website for your reference.
jus the mod kit 103 on your stock short block gave ya that power increase??

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
I have run with the Raylar guys and they are awesome! I would love to have one of their engines again at some point.

·
New here
4,219 Posts
jus the mod kit 103 on your stock short block gave ya that power increase??
I'm sure he'll post the actual numbers, but I believe that was one of their complete motors (forged short block). However, the results would be close to those numbers. Equal to or slightly over HP525 numbers.

For $10K (by the time you are done with exhaust fitment and fuel system upgrades) or so, the Raylar kit gets your HP/TQ up where you want it AND you lose 100lbs in the process, which is an added benefit.

For about half of that, you can have your stock heads massaged with bigger valves, porting, and associated updated valvetrain. Slide in a better bumpstick (cam) than stock and have your ECM reprogrammed - AND the exhaust. I got a pair of used Lightning headers from a guy that built a blower motor and needed bigger headers. So, I got his 496HO Lightning kit for $2000. That's $1000 off from new - and they're just like new. So, you can get what you want on a budget, but you'll have to tear into the motor a bit.

·
Member In Training
1,985 Posts
I would say no less than 525HP... I have a pair of 600's but they were built from the block up and very few if any original parts and virtually all forged internals.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have had two raylar motors now and they r great. Old boat had the bk 103 kit. Love the mig range power,and top end. Boat now has the 600ho ( I think its the bk 106). Built from block up with all new internal parts. Love it even more. I have it all now, sounds good , mid range and top end. If i were u, like everyone is saying don't just do bites of pieces for upgrades.Do it all if your going to do something, or just leave it alone and enjoy the water.

I was in your shoes years ago, have a advantage and wanted more power to move that heavy advantage around. I did years of research and found 496 is a crap motor if u want upgrades to it. Great motor if u leave it alone. Also keep in mind more power means better drive and steering.

I had to add steering for safety but I did keep my bravo 1x for two yrs. just blew it this year and now running xr with sportmaster lower. Great package for that hp.

My advice, save your money or do it right if your going to do it. I have spent LOTS of $$$ and guess what, there's always someone faster.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts