Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little background (I'll spare you all the gory details) earlier this summer my son and bought a package deal 2 Rayson 18' V drives boats, we went to get one but youu know how that goes they were both there and the price was right. they look nearly identical both on single axle trailers and according to the seller both 72's. Both BBC power however red project boat looks to have had some other power plant early on in its life. The yellow "Sew Boss" is titled a 72 but I can't find any hull numbers or VIN on the red project. Any info would be helpful. Also (while were at it...) the red project boat has Rayson Craft badges but they are Del ??? Portland Or not Gardena Ca like the Yellow one...insight on whats up with that or is it a "dealer" badge or something. We don't have plans on big hp or racing either boat, just a cool old flatbottom to play on the lakes and rivers on the weekends a maybe a car show now and then pulling them with one of our hot rods.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ray De Fir was a Rayson Craft Dealer in Portland, Oregon. He also had a mold for the 21'Cruiser. He passed away recently and I do not know who has his molds or all of his inventory , badges , etc.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Nice find! Look just like my 72 Rayson LP! Mine doesn't have any VIN numbers stamped and couldn't find anything on the transom or stringers. Paul Fitzgerald is real knowledgeable on these boats.

·
Lookout I'm Crankin it Baby
6,576 Posts
Red and White one looks to be a G Hull...only reference I know...and the yellow looks to be LP. The G was produced for a long time...like 65-late 70's early eighties. Good handling boat but mainly ski boats...LP a little heartier boat..designed for performance minded people...like ski racing and endurance type stuff...both well made boats. I personally feel the LP is arguable one of the nicest looking flatbottom's ever built. JMO

after looking closer...I'm not totally sold on the yellow one being an LP...could be a later twin to the G...need better pics of them.

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
Ray De Fir was a Rayson Craft Dealer in Portland, Oregon. He also had a mold for the 21'Cruiser. He passed away recently and I do not know who has his molds or all of his inventory , badges , etc.
Ray was a real nice guy. He definitely had the molds for the 21' GN / day cruiser.
If I recall correctly, John Sofolis at Umlimited Marine (now located in Lower Lake, CA) wound up with the 18' LP molds. He is a long time Rayson-Craft dealer and worked/raced closely with Rudy Ramos. He would be able to identify your boats for sure! Jocko

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
The yellow is not an LP, to much free board on it, they should have a small aluminum tag nailed on top of the left stringer, about 16-18" from transom it will be under the glass and might be hard to see if yellowed or painted. the red one looks like a 16' but hard to tell, and yes John has the 18 LP molds up in Clear Lake..

Red and White one looks to be a G Hull...only reference I know...and the yellow looks to be LP. The G was produced for a long time...like 65-late 70's early eighties. Good handling boat but mainly ski boats...LP a little heartier boat..designed for performance minded people...like ski racing and endurance type stuff...both well made boats. I personally feel the LP is arguable one of the nicest looking flatbottom's ever built. JMO

after looking closer...I'm not totally sold on the yellow one being an LP...could be a later twin to the G...need better pics of them.

·
Lookout I'm Crankin it Baby
6,576 Posts
After looking closer at the pics...I believe they are both G hulls...I bet they measure the same in length. Hull depth could vary on these...the older ones were a little taller on the sides...but the decks look to be the same. It's hard to tell cuz of the cover on the yellow deck. Like I said in earlier post...the G hull was the one that was mass manufactured for a long time.

this is what I believe you have in both boats...

http://www.performanceboats.com/boats-sale/308809-1964-rayson-craft.html

·
Registered
851 Posts
Ray was a real nice guy. He definitely had the molds for the 21' GN / day cruiser.
If I recall correctly, John Sofolis at Umlimited Marine (now located in Lower Lake, CA) wound up with the 18' LP molds. He is a long time Rayson-Craft dealer and worked/raced closely with Rudy Ramos. He would be able to identify your boats for sure! Jocko
Those molds are for sale on ebay right now. 3K.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Yes he is selling them but they have been outside for years .....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry it 's taken so long to respond to my own thread but damn it's tough to long in but I finally got my password to reset...anyway...lots of good info you guys seem to know your stuff on the flats. I agree I don't think they are LP's not familiar with "G" hull but they do have quite a bit of free board. The decks and hulls are identical except for the "can't find a number on the red/white boat" yellow one has molded in glass tanks but the red doesn't just bought a set of IMCO SS tanks for the red one and building tanks for the yellow boat. I will post more pics of the project (red) if I can get them to load Yellow is still in storage but after New Years were bringing to shop for the tanks and freshen up before the season, still cool in April but warm enough to get her in the water. I've had boats before but I'm new to v drive flats, engine mechanicals, electrical & fabrication are my & my sons wheelhouse rigging these boats are a bit different than building cars. I'm sure i'll have a LOT of questions when we start to rigg the project:steering, engine mounts, cav plates, etc, etc...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok lets try some pics

Not very good pics but not sure what I need to post. already plugged and glassed all the old rigging holes after making a blueprint on locations (not even sure I'll need it) can't find any de-lam only large area to fix was a crack in the top of one stringer from a BBC drop in by the previous owners who did a really crappy repair. dash gets a custom insert with speedhut custom gauges so it's a little different from the pics. also ready to paint these were taken a couple months ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I built that mold and am looking for it as I am interested in build a few new hulls. The red hull may have been one we built in Troutdale. I worked with Ray Defir for many years on a number of projects and he was a good friend. I may know where the 21' mold went but may build a new one as I designed the hull edge angle cut design for that boat.

·
Steady Rollin
1,147 Posts
I built that mold and am looking for it as I am interested in build a few new hulls. The red hull may have been one we built in Troutdale. I worked with Ray Defir for many years on a number of projects and he was a good friend. I may know where the 21' mold went but may build a new one as I designed the hull edge angle cut design for that boat.
very cool, What years were you building boats with Ray?

I have one of the last 21's he built, its the white and yellow/orange one, it was laid up in 2002

1 - 16 of 16 Posts