Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of gel do you guys use to re-paint you're jet boats. Not interested in basecoat/clearcoat systems here. I am already having to peel the old clearcoat off the boat as it is. Or is that what you guys use? I really know nothing about coatings used on boats. I want something that is going to last a long time against the sun and the water. Thanks.

·
....like warm apple pie
1,681 Posts
What kind of gel do you guys use to re-paint you're jet boats. Not interested in basecoat/clearcoat systems here. I am already having to peel the old clearcoat off the boat as it is. Or is that what you guys use? I really know nothing about coatings used on boats. I want something that is going to last a long time against the sun and the water. Thanks.
I used Imron on mine. Held up great and very durable.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
You should talk to Jork or Brad about how they like the SPI products.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Seriously, think long & hard about re-gelling your boat. What I mean to say is, think long and hard about spending the money on your boat versus dropping that money on another hull, that is if you are considering having it done-it aint cheap-Labor is what makes it expensive. Gel Coat is very labor intensive.

Otherwise, start researching the process. Todd @ TRG is pretty helpful, he's online here. But research the process so you have an idea of what you are doing before you call looking for help. He gets paid to do this stuff.

I have painted a boat and gelled a boat. For what I was using it for, paint worked out best for me and was way faster to finish. Take care of the boat and a base/clear setup will last a very long time.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I re-gelled my 10' outboard boat. I bought the gel from US Composites. http://www.shopmaninc.com/ they were the cheapest. But you have to keep in mind that the gel goes on a lot thicker than paint so it takes a lot more. Also it is a lot of sanding. The gel usually goes on with a very heavy orange-peel which must be sanded off.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
OK, you guys are right. Gel coat looks pretty complicated and very labor intensive. Thanks guys.

Now, going to start a different thread, that is about the paint.

Shhhiiiiittttt!!!!!! I ain't gettin' a new hull.:D I'd rock this fucked up paint job before I got a new hull, at this point in my life.:D Thanks for the advice though. Real good stuff there.:)devil

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ain't answering that one. You'll find it.:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts