Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just learned how the electoral college elects the president and not the people at the poles on election day? If I'm in Havi who would be my local state representative?
*&^% guess I'm just learning how to vote.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Just learned how the electoral college elects the president and not the people at the poles on election day? If I'm in Havi who would be my local state representative?
*&^% guess I'm just learning how to vote.
It use to be this stuff was taught in school. Its amazing how many people truely have no clue how the election process truely works. There are alot of people in this country that would benefit greatly by the initiative you took in educating yourself. Technically those electoral votes do not have to go the way of the popular vote, but they rarely go the opposite direction of the popular vote for the particular region.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
It use to be this stuff was taught in school. Its amazing how many people truely have no clue how the election process truely works. There are alot of people in this country that would benefit greatly by the initiative you took in educating yourself. Technically those electoral votes do not have to go the way of the popular vote, but they rarely go the opposite direction of the popular vote for the particular region.
And, if memory from HS Government class is correct, thast varies by each state's laws regarding their electors.

Some states it is an "all or nothing" vote, winner of the electors gets all electors.
Some states split it by percentage, candidate with 75% of the vote (for example), gets 75% of the electors.
And yes, nothing guarantees the electors vote for the state winner, it just normally happens that way.

Bad part is, some of this may have changed since I was 17 in H.S. in 1984, 25 years ago.

·
"On the road again..."
9,356 Posts
ACORN will distribute the electoral votes accordingly......

·
Desert Racing Widow
2,073 Posts
You are correct, HavaPaul. Each of the 50 states votes. The reasoning behind this is that if a state like CA had 100% turnout (highly unlikely, I know, but hear me out), all the other states would be outvoted if we lived in a democracy. We don't live in a democracy, we live in a republic. The founding fathers were very careful to add this electoral college into the designs of our government. It's sole responsiblity is to protect the smaller populated states.

Many conservative minded people voice their desires to go back to our countries roots, protect the Constitution, etc, yet say this idea of the electoral college is outdated. I would beg to differ. I think it's just as timely now as it was then. If we went to a direct democracy to elect the president, companies like ACORN would "get out the vote" even more in places like CA and NY and FL and could even try to discourage people in the midwest and mountain states from voting. Those states would be totally worthless to a potential nominee/president.

·
Temporarily Pacified!
5,554 Posts
You are correct, HavaPaul. Each of the 50 states votes. The reasoning behind this is that if a state like CA had 100% turnout (highly unlikely, I know, but hear me out), all the other states would be outvoted if we lived in a democracy. We don't live in a democracy, we live in a republic. The founding fathers were very careful to add this electoral college into the designs of our government. It's sole responsiblity is to protect the smaller populated states.

Many conservative minded people voice their desires to go back to our countries roots, protect the Constitution, etc, yet say this idea of the electoral college is outdated. I would beg to differ. I think it's just as timely now as it was then. If we went to a direct democracy to elect the president, companies like ACORN would "get out the vote" even more in places like CA and NY and FL and could even try to discourage people in the midwest and mountain states from voting. Those states would be totally worthless to a potential nominee/president.

Thanks for pointing that out, I think many don't realize that point or have forgotten it.

·
Screamin SeaMonkees
1,663 Posts

And if the Black Panthers showed up here it would interesting to say the least.

·
Marine Organism
12,743 Posts
[/COLOR]

And if the Black Panthers showed up here it would interesting to say the least.
Interesting here also. Many folks with a rifle hanging in their back window! :)

·
Pronounced Paul "W"
181 Posts
Yes, we are a representative republic. Not a democracy. According to the CIA World Factbook site we are a Constitution-based federal republic.

The founding father's implemented the electoral college due to their belief that the uninformed uneducated general populace may not always make the right decision (you know, popularity vs. competence or something like that) and this was a mechanism to combat that. As some have pointed out with many states setting up for their electoral to go along with their popular vote that effect is somewhat diminished.

For more info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral_College_(United_States)

·
Registered
5,487 Posts

Great post and simplified explanation.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Interesting here also. Many folks with a rifle hanging in their back window! :)
We seem to have very little Black Panther trouble here either (although I know some farmers gunning for Cougars out west). ;)
DWP says none in Ks, several people claim to have seen them.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
We seem to have very little Black Panther trouble here either (although I know some farmers gunning for Cougars out west). ;)
DWP says none in Ks, several people claim to have seen them.
We had several members of the "memphis" mob here in the last few months. They've decided to get out of dodge so to speak.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts

·
Registered
3,616 Posts

I agree.
One of the biggest problems that the English Empire had was that the whole thing was run by London. One of the purposes of the EC (and the way the Senate is structured) is to keep the urban centers from dominating the entire nation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts