Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey gents,

I researched as far as I could and found a lot out so far, but im stuck.

I have a 1976 Howard v-drive that has a 454 BBC set up. Did some damage to the engine yesterday. I'm assuming it's in the bottom end. Lost a lot of power and RPM and makes a squeaking noise at idle and seems like its difficult to turn over, so I'm thinking bearings?

Anywho, I'm trying to get my research done so I can price out a rebuild kit and get and get the goodies I want that will be right for the motor since I'll be tearing into it anyway.

The question I have is about the casting numbers. I read in another thread how to find them and 361959 is the number. Now from what I have figured out, that is a standard deck. There was "GM T 12" stamped next to the casting number and on the driver's side a code of "E5 C 73"

Can you guys be kind enough to point me in the direction to find out if the last number is the year and what info I will need when ordering parts for it? Thanks a lot in advance!

Stu

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Just repost over there, and if you did take out the bottom end, I would buy a complete stroker bottom end package. You'll get a better deal buying a package then pieces by yourself, and there is no replacement for displacement!!!:D

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
There is a lot of excellent knowledge over in the dyno section.

There is also a lot of posturing over in the dyno section. You need to find someone who you trust & follow there knowledge. A thread like this will get a lot of responses & many different opinions.

But, you need to go through everything on your motor. Block checked & machined correctly. I have no idea where you are & what extent you want to get involved, but I will tell you this, I will trust nothing that I can not measure & check myself. A BBC bottom end will live or die by proper tolerances & correct machining. (Period)

You need to know it is right.

·
Registered
612 Posts
According to mortec.com 361959 is a 73-90 454 with either 2 or 4 bolt mains. Don't know what the other numbers are.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all your responses so far guys. i have been getting many opionions similar to what all you have been saying. i might have to take it to a good shop and have them tear into it before i screw something up because honestly, i have no experience past simple two stroke dirtbike engines. is anyone around north carolina and can point me to a good shop anywhere in the carolinas or virginia?

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Hopping Howards, used to drive one, do some bottom work while you have the motor out of it, it will make a world of difference!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hopping howards. funny you say that as it was hopping around quite a bit when i had it out the few times i did. i started with the cavitation plates all the way up on launch and would slowly bring them down as i gained speed to try and avoid the hop.

i will post pictures of my oil pan tonight when i get off work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts