Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Retired Air Force
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulling the BBC to replace the leaking rear main oil seal. Any tricks out there to prevent the same problem from happening again other than the obvious silicone on each halves of the seal?

·
Village Idiot
3,454 Posts
Pulling the BBC to replace the leaking rear main oil seal. Any tricks out there to prevent the same problem from happening again other than the obvious silicone on each halves of the seal?
Over the last six years of so I have been offsetting the parting lines from the cap. What I am saying is as you stick the seal in, one side will sit out of the block while the other side will be recessed in. You have to make sure you get the other half on the cap right so they won't fight each other as it is set in place and torqued. I have yet to have a drop of a leak since I started doing this. Others may have some good or better insight, but this is how I have done it with good success.

Here is a picture of what I am talking about. The aluminum piece is to convert a one piece rear main seal block to a two piece rear main seal crank so just pay attention to the seal itself.

Paul

·
Gone
1,824 Posts
I did that for a long time also.
The big deal is not to cut the back side of the seal on the sharp edged block when installing.
I went back to installing them the "normal?" way and being sure not to cut the backside. I use just a touch of ultra blue on the ends. I also use Mr. Gasket rear seals cuz never had one leak. Going with the devil I know.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
[/QUOTE]

Now how do you get that past the flange? must be a split somewhere
Yes, there is a split in it. If you look real close you can see it at about 1:00 in the pic. The split has a key notch in it as well. It is held to the crank with an o-ring wrapped around it in the groove you can see on the outside. And you just lower the crank into place. You only take off to move it to another crank. Yes, I have used them in more than once. Lots more.

You couldn't help yourself could you?

Paul
What? You don't like this seal. Its the best seal on the planet.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Village Idiot
3,454 Posts
What? You don't like this seal. Its the best seal on the planet.
Sorry, I did not have my reading glasses on and thought it was one of those joke pictures.:)sphss Just shows who is NOT paying attention. ME! Thanks for pointing that (the seal) out and tipping us off to a cool idea. I will have to try one of those one of these days.

Paul

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Village Idiot
3,454 Posts
Me Paul. I strike you as the type that would do that?
You bet I would, but only to someone I knew well. Thanks for the tip to the other items. I placed quite an order of needed parts.:D

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread...

Paul

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Do you guys install them any different if you were running a vaccuum pump?

·
Village Idiot
3,454 Posts
Do you guys install them any different if you were running a vaccuum pump?
I have seen them put in back wards if pulling 15", but that was before there were better seals made for that application. They leaked like a sieve while sitting, but held vacuum well. I would love to hear what Warpspeed and some of the others use for high vacuum applications.

Paul

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I would love to hear what Warpspeed and some of the others use for high vacuum applications.

Paul
I just posted it. Thats where I learned about it. Only he gave me Signal Seals website. When I called, they wanted to know how many dozens I wanted.:)sphss So I went on the hunt and found them.
Warp also turned me on to the muffler bearing, and blinker fluid supplier. He posted it as a thread, and addresses to ME!. Can you believe that.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Chrome...?

There is only one muffler bearing left in stock. But they never stated which size it was either.
My Muffler has a Chrome bearing, and I've never had to replace it...Those chrome ones last forever, and never rust up and restrict the flow.....
Ray

PS that is a trick rear seal...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts