Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to re-do my interior... this winter probably. I am going to have to re-do the rear seat regardless, but based on my space (17' closed bow jet) I might have to do the cocktail seating arrangement to fit 6 peeps. I have 68 inches of width across the inside, so I have tons of room but that is only about 3.5 adult butts across if I do a single rear bench (facing forward). If I do cocktails they would be 42 inch long each, still with a lot of legroom. If I do single rear bench I can only sit 3 on it and they will have rediculous legroom and plenty of thigh/hip room.
I want room for 6 adults. But I would prefer a forward facing rear seat. Any thoughts? Wake boat style bench seating in a U or L shape? Maybe make the rear bench wrap around the engine cover into a sortof W shape? I have to make an engine cover (or complete hatch) anway so that is not much additional pain.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I have to re-do my interior... this winter probably. I am going to have to re-do the rear seat regardless, but based on my space (17' closed bow jet) I might have to do the cocktail seating arrangement to fit 6 peeps. I have 68 inches of width across the inside, so I have tons of room but that is only about 3.5 adult butts across if I do a single rear bench (facing forward). If I do cocktails they would be 42 inch long each, still with a lot of legroom. If I do single rear bench I can only sit 3 on it and they will have rediculous legroom and plenty of thigh/hip room.
I want room for 6 adults. But I would prefer a forward facing rear seat. Any thoughts? Wake boat style bench seating in a U or L shape? Maybe make the rear bench wrap around the engine cover into a sortof W shape? I have to make an engine cover (or complete hatch) anway so that is not much additional pain.
You are going to have to post pix for review.

Cy

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have a 19.5 foot with a JE pump so its set back a little more, I have u-shaped seating and have had 9-10 (mostly girls) fit without an issue. 6 dudes could easily fit and have enough room to not feel gay.

·
Glendale Arizona
2,216 Posts
I have a 19.5 foot with a JE pump so its set back a little more, I have u-shaped seating and have had 9-10 (mostly girls) fit without an issue. 6 dudes could easily fit and have enough room to not feel gay.
I'd have to see a picture of that. 10 girls and yourself fitting in a 19' jet without issue?

Are the girls pygmies.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I'd have to see a picture of that. 10 girls and yourself fitting in a 19' jet without issue?

Are the girls pygmies.
The age of the girls would make a difference in how many would fit. Did the law require that they wore lifejackets at all times? And would it be illeagal to post pix of them on the internet.

I have always been a firm believer that less is more as far as packing people in my boats. I did a trip where I had twice as many people relying on me to get them to the sandbar as my boat would hold and it was the worst trip I ever had. I get tired of having to keep track of a bunch of idiots. It is easier if they are their own boats.

When I build seats for a boat I usually do 4 comfortably and 5 uncomfortable.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There will never be 6 dudes in my boat.... we save that for the hottub later on. I was going more along the lines of 3 straight couples. That said, I cant rely on each female being 5'1" and 80 lbs, so I am back to needing room for 6 adults.
I could post som pix but I bought the boat as is, which is currently crap back-to-back seats, and it makes me sick to look at them. Not to mention only seats 4, no storage, looks bad, and no room. So even milk crates are an upgrade.
Im definitely doing 2 buckets up front. But I dont want to cramp the back seat. Maybe I can buy/make one of those fold-out jump seats for the unlucky person who gets aboard last. Or just make them sit on a cooler.
I guess I could do 2 rows of benches but that is kinda old school chris craft - minus the nice wood boat and classyness. Or old school station wagon.
I will try to post up some scaled drawings of the options I thought through so far.
Has anyone done mesh seats with tube frames - I have seen them on offshore center console fishing rigs. That would be cool and save room.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WHAT? You guys never heard of getting 4+ dudes into a hot tub? Its called c*ck soup, and its fabulous. It helps to be really drunk, it seems funnier that way... plus nobody would get in if sober. The wives all sit there and laugh at us. We tried to get them to hop in and brew up a batch of vag soup but they never do. They claim something about contaminated water... random pregnancies... floating STDs... whatever.

I always figured you cali types invented c*ck soup.

Check on the pontoon idea.:)bulb Maybe I should sell the jet and buy the 650 HP pontoon somebody was selling on here... its already faster than my jet (oh the shame!)...

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
WHAT? You guys never heard of getting 4+ dudes into a hot tub? Its called c*ck soup, and its fabulous. It helps to be really drunk, it seems funnier that way... plus nobody would get in if sober. The wives all sit there and laugh at us. We tried to get them to hop in and brew up a batch of vag soup but they never do. They claim something about contaminated water... random pregnancies... floating STDs... whatever.

I always figured you cali types invented c*ck soup.

Check on the pontoon idea.:)bulb Maybe I should sell the jet and buy the 650 HP pontoon somebody was selling on here... its already faster than my jet (oh the shame!)...
Somehow that does not sound very appealing but to each his own (or the guys sitting next to him in the tub)

I just really think that out of 3 couples at least 2 of the dudes should have their own boat if not 3 out of 3 otherwise they need to find a new hobby. I was the only one with my own boat and it costs the same to ride alone.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,033 Posts
6 dudes in a boat is gay.
You don't post much but when you do it's spot on :)grn

I take the shotgun approach to posting ;)

Damn near forgot, Slim it's a trade-off on the seats. Had the interior re-done in '07 in the CP lost the cocktail seating in the back and put in a bench seat. Really had to work to make it right but it came out fine even for an adult behind the driver or fron passinger seat, but the CP has a bit more interior room than your boat. Talk to a few interior guys first.

S CP :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK so back to the question at hand.

This is a solid model I made real quick of the rough layout of my interior. There is some curves that are simplified but the overall dims are near correct. For both cases the "depth" of seat is 17 inches and the butt height is 13 inches off the floor. My gunnells are appx 26 inch high off the floor with a basically flat floor.

Scenario 1 is the rear bench seat, facing forward. It is 68 inch wide (same as inside width of the boat). There is 34.x inches between the frontmost edge of the rear seat and the back edge (butt) of the front bucket seats. AKA a $hit ton of leg room but only sits 5 people in comfort. I think there is enough room for a small jump seat behind the buckets. That might get me up to 6 adults in relative comfort for 5 of them.

Scenario 2 is the cocktail seats facing center. Each is 42 inches long. There is 30.5 inches between the edges of the seats, so lots of leg room but there might be some ankles on top of each other. The diagram doesnt show it well but there is about 8 inches between the bucket and the bench, to allow swiveling, and the tail of the bench stops short about 4-5 inches from the engine cover/hatch area.

Either scenario would work with a full rear hatch, but only the cocktails could get away with just an engine cover.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
OK so back to the question at hand.

This is a solid model I made real quick of the rough layout of my interior. There is some curves that are simplified but the overall dims are near correct. For both cases the "depth" of seat is 17 inches and the butt height is 13 inches off the floor. My gunnells are appx 26 inch high off the floor with a basically flat floor.

Scenario 1 is the rear bench seat, facing forward. It is 68 inch wide (same as inside width of the boat). There is 34.x inches between the frontmost edge of the rear seat and the back edge (butt) of the front bucket seats. AKA a $hit ton of leg room but only sits 5 people in comfort. I think there is enough room for a small jump seat behind the buckets. That might get me up to 6 adults in relative comfort for 5 of them.

Scenario 2 is the cocktail seats facing center. Each is 42 inches long. There is 30.5 inches between the edges of the seats, so lots of leg room but there might be some ankles on top of each other. The diagram doesnt show it well but there is about 8 inches between the bucket and the bench, to allow swiveling, and the tail of the bench stops short about 4-5 inches from the engine cover/hatch area.

Either scenario would work with a full rear hatch, but only the cocktails could get away with just an engine cover.

Thoughts?
I don't know why you want the buckets to swivel but I would say for what you are going for, the coctail seating should have you covered. I lie most assumed that the boat in question was a low freeboard vessel with about 4" to the bottom of the seat cushion like many of us. In your case with legs straighter than possible in many. With a full engine hatch you could have your cooler and chairs back there and be set.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.