Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy,

It will be great to finally get back into boating, but unfortunately I need first start from where I left off. When I packed the '78 BBF Eliminator Bubble away TWO seasons ago, the very last gauge that was working finally stopped working like all of the rest. When I bought it, only the tach worked while all of the other gauges reacted like they were just not hooked up. All of the wiring and connections at point A and B are all accounted for with nothing chopped up. I am sure it is just a simple common ground that is hampering all of the gauges but I have been unable to find any time to trouble shoot it myself. I would rather just drop it off one day and pick it up the next ready to hit the water.

SOoooo... Do you fellas have any recommendation on a HONEST, KNOWLEDGEABLE, RELIABLE, FAIR, FAST, and FRIENDLY boat shops between Stockton and San Jose?

I would also like to hear of your experiences and also what shops to avoid.

Thanks SO MUCH in advance! :)

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
since you said San Jose, take it to Glen at

Pleasure Boat Specialties

2456 Kruse Dr
San Jose, CA 95131

(408) 432-0217‎

he's been in business for many years and really knows his stuff!

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
X2 Call Glen, right off the 880 just south of Milpitas, real layed back, one man show.

GT :)hand

·
Laps Timed By Sundial
580 Posts
X3 had jetdrive work done there & glen is cool. come to think of it half of my gauges don't work also, let me know what you find out ?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
what part of the valley are you at?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank You for the heads up everyone! I think I will give Glen a call first. I remember I had a few good conversations with him at least 10 years back when I had my first jet boat. It is good to know he is still around. It is also good to know there are good options such as Boatmasters.

Slotracer, I am located near Hammer and 99. You close by?

Halcyon, I will keep you updated.

Thanks Again!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
i am in the weston ranch but i keep my boats on waterloo and 99 by the burger king. whats with the boat?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hey Slotracer,

It's a 78' Eliminator Bubble with a Harman BBF. Bone Stock and all original down to the JC pump and exhaust logs, which will be replaced shortly by a set of Bassetts I got from LakesOnly a few years back. It has been sitting in the garage for the last 3 years since my daughter was born and I figure I should finally get it back out on the water or get rid of it. When I purchased it from the last owner, we GPSed it at 59.5 mph with 500lbs of heffers on board and two full tanks of gas. I am hopong it will go at least mid 60's with just me, half tank of gas, a decent loader and the Bassett's.

It will probably remain extremly mild to keep reliable with only the addition of the the above mods, Pertronix, Place Diverter, and maybe a Stealth intake manafold... Ok, maybe high ratio roller rockers... cam... and 150 hp NOS from there if I go overboard. :)

Also, if I did not already have the Eliminator, I would have loved to buy your Outlaw!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
i am going to be at my shop next saturday. if you want you could bring it by and i could check your ground problem. i have to get my flat bottom ready for the hogan outting.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Slotracer! That is very generous of you. I would appreciate the assistance. I will be PMing you shortly.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
no problem. heres my cell # 415-559-0997. i will be there working on the boats.
pat

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
ok need help here, i check the boat out yesterday. found a ground wire that was broke so i fixed it. now, when he bought the boat the gauges did not work except the tach. it has a amp, oil, temp gauge in which the ground terminal was just stuck in the back of the gauge looked like it was hit with something because it was at a angle. also has a fuel gauge. all gauges have power to them and a ground. the fuel gauge stick at about 3/4, the oil gauge pegs out when you start the engine. the amp gauge has power on both terminals whether the key is off or on. the hot wire for the gauges is daisyed chained with purple wire for the hot. not sure if the factory would use purple instead of red? i hooked up another oil gauge at the sending unit and it pegged also once the engine was runnig. any idea's? things like this intrig me and i like to find out why. lets help out here. i think the gauges being original from 1978 may need to be replaced for a start. i know boatmasters is a great place but chasing eletrical can get real time consuming and add up real fast to a good size bill.:)hand could one of the gauges be grounding internly and taking out the rest of the gauges?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey slotracer,

I wanted to say thanks again for checking out my boat yesterday. It was cool to shoot the breeze with you.

Please try not to loose too much sleep over this as the answers will eventually present itself (I hope!) :D

Thanks again for being such a stand up guy!

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
could one of the gauges be grounding internly and taking out the rest of the gauges?
yes, I had that issue on a friend of mine's boat that sunk. I disconnected all the gauges and started hooking them up one at a time until I found the culprit....his turned out to be the volt meter.
I'd also try running a separate ground wire from the battery to the gauges to bypass the existing. It could have corrosion inside the sheathing that you can't see.
As far as the wire colors, here's a diagram that shows the industry standard-

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
whats the proper way to hook up a amp gauge?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts