Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do they still exist? Did the google thing but nothing showed up. I have a prop that I feel is awesome and should be framed on the wall and if/when I ruin it I am afraid that I will have a hard time getting a twin.

·
Registered
567 Posts
No,Record props were sold through "Marine Land of Waco TX. they stoped selling props at least six years ago

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
This is just my $.02 so take it for what it's worth but....I think it would be a waste of your money. To get an exact copy of your prop is impossible. Even with their digitizing, if they could duplicate it exactly, they would make you a billet prop, that Record is a cast stainless steel prop, they would not act the same. And your gonna pay a ton of money to find that out. There's alot of good props out there to be had, talk to people running stuff like yours, or where you want to run, ask them what they are running and how well it's working for them. Just looking at it from another angle. F1~

·
Registered
529 Posts
This is just my $.02 so take it for what it's worth but....I think it would be a waste of your money. To get an exact copy of your prop is impossible. Even with their digitizing, if they could duplicate it exactly, they would make you a billet prop, that Record is a cast stainless steel prop, they would not act the same. And your gonna pay a ton of money to find that out. There's alot of good props out there to be had, talk to people running stuff like yours, or where you want to run, ask them what they are running and how well it's working for them. Just looking at it from another angle. F1~
I have NEVER seen a cast S.S. prop. You mean a 3 piece welded ear prop?? And NO it is not a waste to have a billet prop made off of a welded ear prop. The billet prop will work better and last alot longer. I know for a fact that the first prop that ron and joey did copy from a welded ear prop picked up a couple tenths with the billet one.

·
Registered
725 Posts
The record props we used in the 1980's were bad ass ! forged steel... not a welded ear ... this boat ran 174.08 in aprox 1987 or 1988 Was a leg on the blown gas hydro record at that time ... 12 x 17 record with a 57 gear ,

P.S. this pic was not that pass ...

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Probably throwing myself to the wolves but the prop I am talking about is a 3 blade brass prop. Its on my 3 point and I got it from the original racer. When I was at the vintage apba deal last weekend I saw about 4 or 5 other boats running them. I have noticed the ears starting to move on mine (x hp by at least double as to what it was race with) but the boat runs dead nuts flat and handles better than I could ever describe...even when its 2 ft in the air. I have tried 2 other props that came with this hydro and not one is even close to how it runs with this one. With the old combo I was told the prop I am using now didnt work well because they where short on hp so thats why they didnt end up using it. Also was running a 6 cylinder which would have changed weight and balance of the boat.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Paul, call Joe at Precisioncraft Marine...707-864-0332 Tell him what you got & he can hook you up with what you need....;)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Record propellers

Record propellers were bought by Rolla sometime in the 80's I believe. Rolla use to make the one piece steel propellers. One of the east coast GN guys use to be a dealer, Greg Gluck. But I don't know if this is still the case.
You might contact Ron Hill. He make a prop that has a simlar Record / Cary type of ear. but he makes them out of Stalnless. Which as some of these guys have said may or may not be the best material.

good luck with your quest.

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Record propellers were bought by Rolla sometime in the 80's I believe. Rolla use to make the one piece steel propellers. One of the east coast GN guys use to be a dealer, Greg Gluck. But I don't know if this is still the case.
You might contact Ron Hill. He make a prop that has a simlar Record / Cary type of ear. but he makes them out of Stalnless. Which as some of these guys have said may or may not be the best material.

good luck with your quest.
Just my luck....even have a part #.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I have NEVER seen a cast S.S. prop. You mean a 3 piece welded ear prop?? And NO it is not a waste to have a billet prop made off of a welded ear prop. The billet prop will work better and last alot longer. I know for a fact that the first prop that ron and joey did copy from a welded ear prop picked up a couple tenths with the billet one.
Hey Tony, why don't you bring your CAST stainless steel Record props to Ming next month so Mr.Coyote can see them! :D
Better yet, go back to page 9 in this forum, click on " New Stainless Steel Prop" and you can feast your eye's on one now!

Last, I'm not trying to dis on anyones products, you got lucky and your digitized cnc prop worked better than the one they copied. That will not be the case 100% of the time. Different materails will flex and act differently, same prop shape, different materials and construction, different characteristics, thats all I'm getting at. And there is no guaranty of it lasting longer, the billet props have broken.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Props

Check with Harold Kindsvater. He reworked my Record prop. It was a throwaway piece of junk. It now looks like new. I may have to build a boat to use it on!!!!
HARLAN ORRIN

·
Registered
200 Posts
Check with Harold Kindsvater. He reworked my Record prop. It was a throwaway piece of junk. It now looks like new. I may have to build a boat to use it on!!!!
HARLAN ORRIN
Harlan,

If you come by any other "throwaway pieces of junk" that are right hand, please let me know. I have been looking for one for about 15 years.
and Yes, Harold can build you about any propeller that you would need!

Marc Harmon

·
Registered
567 Posts
1 piece cast stainless record prop!!!!Im with f1, different materals will act differently under load,I talked to Joey about copying this prop years ago,he couldent promise the exact same performance because of the materials being different.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts