Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some impressive runs down at the kilo runs on Salton Sea earlier today. Bob Teague and Paul Whittier in their "Amsoil" Cat Lite offshore boat made numerous runs over the 130 mph mark to set a new class record. That's a two-way average speed over a flying kilo course, not radar or GPS numbers. Pretty amazing for a 36-foot Skater with stock Mercury Racing 525 EFIs w/Number Six drives. Teague thinks he might get a 135 run tomorrow if the weather cooperates -- today it was glassy flat water with little or no wind. Also, Dave Rankin's Super Stock SS-80 flatbottom went on the plus side of 125 mph for another class record. Great weather and a surprisingly large turn-out of spectators. Will try and get some pix posted on Monday.

·
You who rock I salute you
3,339 Posts
For the spectator, how was the event run?
Good location, good set up ect?

·
Registered
327 Posts
For the spectator, how was the event run?
Good location, good set up ect?
Course was setup between the State Rec. Area and Mecca Beach.
Most viewing was from one end or the other, had to hoof it (not a pleasant hike) about 3/4 mi. down the beach to actually watch on the course.
Lots of spectators at State Rec. Area watching boats exit/enter marina.

·
Still Boatless :-(
552 Posts
Some impressive runs down at the kilo runs on Salton Sea earlier today. Bob Teague and Paul Whittier in their "Amsoil" Cat Lite offshore boat made numerous runs over the 130 mph mark to set a new class record. That's a two-way average speed over a flying kilo course, not radar or GPS numbers. Pretty amazing for a 36-foot Skater with stock Mercury Racing 525 EFIs w/Number Six drives. Teague thinks he might get a 135 run tomorrow if the weather cooperates -- today it was glassy flat water with little or no wind. Also, Dave Rankin's Super Stock SS-80 flatbottom went on the plus side of 125 mph for another class record. Great weather and a surprisingly large turn-out of spectators. Will try and get some pix posted on Monday.

As I said in another thread....that "thick" water has got to produce some amazing numbers......:)bulb

Just wouldn't want to put my boat in that "soup".......

:)devil

·
Registered
643 Posts
As I said in another thread....that "thick" water has got to produce some amazing numbers......:)bulb

The water density is not really a help, it is the air density since you are 227' below sea leval and can build a lot more horsepower than any other body of water.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Corrected altitude

The water density is not really a help, it is the air density since you are 227' below sea leval and can build a lot more horsepower than any other body of water.
The corrected altitude Saturday afternoon was +1000 feet. The water is "gooey", and as far as the density helping speed runs, the SS68 boat ran almost exactly, (within 1/2 MPH), of what it ran in fresh water in Oregon 5 or 6 weeks ago.......The course set up south of the marina, was to allow the big offshore boats a 2 or 3 mile "run up" before entering the traps..........I was at Mecca Beach yesterday and the spectators were not real happy waiting for the 6 mile turn around.......One offshore boat took at least an hour to make 3 up/down passes, total of 6 runs thru the traps. The spectators liked the flatbottoms and crackerboxes a lot more because the runs were within a few minutes of each other, not 10 or 15 minute turn arounds.........IMO, the course could have been further north, but Mecca beach was the only viewing area at the south end, so it was kind of a split........It was the first time back there in decades, and I'm sure everyone involved learned something that will make next year even better..........The Rangers and local LEOs were really cool with the whole idea and as I left Saturday evening I ask if they would do it again?......All three said yes, it went off quite well, no problems with the crowds or racers, and they look forward to doing it again............Ray

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts

Involved in Champ boat racing for a time and we always got better numbers in salt water and ran props that wouldn't work any where else,the Sunday night clean up always sucked

·
Registered
643 Posts
The corrected altitude Saturday afternoon was +1000 feet. The water is "gooey", and as far as the density helping speed runs, the SS68 boat ran almost exactly, (within 1/2 MPH), of what it ran in fresh water in Oregon 5 or 6 weeks ago.......The course set up south of the marina, was to allow the big offshore boats a 2 or 3 mile "run up" before entering the traps..........I was at Mecca Beach yesterday and the spectators were not real happy waiting for the 6 mile turn around.......One offshore boat took at least an hour to make 3 up/down passes, total of 6 runs thru the traps. The spectators liked the flatbottoms and crackerboxes a lot more because the runs were within a few minutes of each other, not 10 or 15 minute turn arounds.........IMO, the course could have been further north, but Mecca beach was the only viewing area at the south end, so it was kind of a split........It was the first time back there in decades, and I'm sure everyone involved learned something that will make next year even better..........The Rangers and local LEOs were really cool with the whole idea and as I left Saturday evening I ask if they would do it again?......All three said yes, it went off quite well, no problems with the crowds or racers, and they look forward to doing it again............Ray

I thought it was a great event, haven't been there in years and really enjoyed all three days. Good facilities, and well maintained for camping right at the race site. I think I must have walked about a hundred miles around the place.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
well,i guess this is as good a place as any to post pics.

one of the Schatz Bro's getting interviewed.

matching warm-up bucket,too.

Bob Teague touchng up the speedcoat

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts

woulda been bitching to see this make a go of it.

"in the red"

Rankin/Bryant ss80

i apologize for the shitty quality but for my cheapo camara these came out great whe you consider the sun was straight in my face thats why the pics are all to the left or the right and then there was the really weird light. some of the better shots where taken over a half a mile from the boat(see above). the camaras little brain kept wanting to focus and ducks and bouys, lol. i tried.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts

because i like trains. thats why.

Tony S.with the media in his face. Lunch was called before they managed to get in the water. i'd like to see thier coverage of this event. looked like some of the same camara crew that were @ Parker the week before?

Jeff B.(sp?)/tony S. ps68

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
here is a quick view of the beach at the anouncers zone

and continueing the panorama we zoom waaaay out to catch a glimpse of this guy on the point. hes about even with the north end of the course and from there the course extends south

K69

Harold Bruce CJ313

·
Registered
275 Posts
I heard the Ford powered Magoo cracker broke the record too?

It broke the record in dramatic fashion. They came into the marina with a leg on the record and had to figure out if they were going to go out and back it up with the clock ticking and without any crew touching the boat. As time was running out they headed back out and laid down two very impressive passes, bumping up the record even more. The crowd loved it.

·
27 Victory 800efi
420 Posts
I don't believe for a second that Bob Teague was running stock 525's. I'd like to see those motors up close and personal.
He runs in Cat Lite. They're all running spec 525s. Its a crazy number I know, but I'm sure plenty of people have had an up close and personal look at the motors during tech inspections. Hats off to Bob and the Teague crew.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts