Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Urban Cougar Trapper
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I can restrict the water from them pump by using a gate valve on line coming in off pump ( no provisions for thermostat / competition blower intake is what I've got ) . Just seeing what temps you guys are able to maintain and how you are doing it
Someone always comes up with a better mousetrap

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
My motor ran about the same temp on gas, E85, or Methanol.
If its running too cold your too rich.
Restricting your water flow when it's a fueling problem is the wrong way to go.

An O2 sensor is your friend.

·
Urban Cougar Trapper
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My motor ran about the same temp on gas, E85, or Methanol.
If its running too cold your too rich.
Restricting your water flow when it's a fueling problem is the wrong way to go.

An O2 sensor is your friend.
Mark , Sullens said to run motor at a minimum of 160-170* for proper fuel vaporization and burn , just seeing if there was a better way to regulate water temps than choking back supply from pump ....and I have no way to run a thermostat which would be ideal

·
Registered
121 Posts
Kevin from CSU has said the same thing, yet I've kind of gone the route of marks thinking. I've thought about a closed cooling system with a heat exchanger, but I have other projects using up my time.

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
Mark , Sullens said to run motor at a minimum of 160-170* for proper fuel vaporization and burn , just seeing if there was a better way to regulate water temps than choking back supply from pump ....and I have no way to run a thermostat which would be ideal
Ok so your engine temp was low on gas originally then ?

Back when I ran a jet I had the feed line from the pump restricted to a 5/16 ? ID and ran it that way successfully for years on the turbo engine.
Even restricted it still got over 50# block water pressure at WOT.
It may not be the best way but there are not many options.

I tuned a FAST system on a friends 25 Daytona and those guys like to run them with no thermostat and the engine idles at 100 degrees.
I had to set it to go into closed loop at 95 degrees.
Then at WOT for a long run the temp would get up near 200 degrees.
It was a difficult thing to tune that way.
With a medium size procharger and 6# boost he runs around 115 with it.
There are only 2 of us running E85 in boats around here.

·
Urban Cougar Trapper
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Always ran valve (3/8") off pump and inlet hose wide open with 2 overboard dumps out of block on old motor ...temps were about 120-140* on AvGas
i hear what you are saying about restriction , I might be able to thread water fitting going into motor and try different size "pills " choking back water

only thing I'm worried about is picking up a stick ,small rock , wad of grass or water Lilly and plugging line up and overheating :confused:

·
Administrator
16,873 Posts
Restricting at the pump opens up the opportunity for air pockets in the engine restricting the outlet exposes the engine to pump pressure.

You can run a regulator bypass type IMO for the pressure and a sea strainer if you are worried about debris.

I generally run smaller discharge hoses to slow the flow down and install a bypass regulator for pressure

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
pres reg. valve

I've run this pressure regulating valve on the inlet line with very good results. easy to adjust as necessary with set screw to hold setting. I could quickly see the results of pressure setting changes in both my t-stat location, mech. temp guage and my dash mounted mech. oil temp. guage. (send'g unit in oil pan) I ran ball valves on inlet and exit line to control flow. With a ball valve you can quickly see at a glance what your degree of valve restriction is unlike a gate valve. Restricted exit line flow to insure complete block/head filling. I ran -10 or -12 inlet and -8 or exit line if I recall correctly, never any issues. I ran a 540" n/a, pump gas deal. I flogged it daily for extended periods of time for my entertainment purposes. I liked to end my day with hot lap sessions, simulating circle racing, for at least half hour sessions.
I've also read alot of positive comments about a banderlog valve but obviously have no experience with them. I hope this is of some help.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Do you have an oil temp gauge? On an average day my oil temp will be 200 ish....and unless I am at a looooong idle....my water temp gauge wont move off its lowest setting. If I had 10 bucks for every time this came up.......I could almost afford my ex wife:)sphss

1 - 11 of 11 Posts