Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Old Skool Member
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my girl wants one on a leash. Yep, she found out that a Mongoose will also go after scorpions and she wants to walk it thru the house and destroy the fockers....lol

She walked right up on a big ass scorpion last night in the hallway and she did not like it very much. Imagine that :)

So....what do you think? You think a Mongoose will make a nice pet? Any name suggestions? I was thinking maybe....a female Mongoose so we can have lots of baby Mongoose's and name it Molly the Mongoose or possibly Conan the Mongoose if we go with a male.

For you Mongoose experts....any thing I need to take into consideration before I jump in and buy one? Is there a Mongoose rescue orginization? Anything in particular I need to look for when picking out my pet Mongoose? What color Mongoose is considered show quality? What cost am I looking at? Do most Mongoose's have good dispositions and are they good with small children? Do they have Mongoose food and provide proper shots for them at Petco?

Ideas? Any info is appreciated.

:)

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Hate to be a buzzkill but.....

Get some pest control and that will take care of your scorpion problem. Haven't seen a scorpion at my Havasu house yet. Knock on wood.

·
I don't feel tardy
845 Posts
my girl wants one on a leash. Yep, she found out that a Mongoose will also go after scorpions and she wants to walk it thru the house and destroy the fockers....lol

She walked right up on a big ass scorpion last night in the hallway and she did not like it very much. Imagine that :)

So....what do you think? You think a Mongoose will make a nice pet? Any name suggestions? I was thinking maybe....a female Mongoose so we can have lots of baby Mongoose's and name it Molly the Mongoose or possibly Conan the Mongoose if we go with a male.

For you Mongoose experts....any thing I need to take into consideration before I jump in and buy one? Is there a Mongoose rescue orginization? Anything in particular I need to look for when picking out my pet Mongoose? What color Mongoose is considered show quality?

Ideas? Any info is appreciated.

Don't waste your money on a Mongoose as they are more useful for keeping Cobras at bay.
A Meerkat is really what you want as they are primarily insectivores, but also eat lizards, snakes, scorpions ,spiders, plants, eggs, small mammals, millipedes etc. Plus I think it would be kind of cool to have your own Meerkat Manor in the back yard.;):D

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
That is a good idea until she figures out it isn't a Mongoose. Maybe, just maybe she won't notice the difference. it isn't like she is a Mongoose or Meercat expert. I could just tell her it is an ugly (some people may say cute) Mongoose and leave it at that. Good option and I like your out of the box thinking

Actually that would be in the blue box thinking. :D

·
I am Roger..the Shrubber
1,080 Posts
That is a good idea until she figures out it isn't a Mongoose. Maybe, just maybe she won't notice the difference. it isn't like she is a Mongoose or Meercat expert. I could just tell her it is an ugly (some people may say cute) Mongoose and leave it at that. Good option and I like your out of the box thinking

I'm always thinking of box.

Hey, to get around the genuine Mongoose idea I'm pretty sure you could shave around the neck of the Meerkat. Place the shaved hair in a place it does not get abused or lost. Have someone tattoo "Genuine Mongoose" in the no hairy prairie you just created. Use blue lock-tite, not the red...this needs to be removable, and glue the shaved hair back on. If she comes up with something silly like "where's you head at...I wanted a mongoose". You sit her down, reveal the tattoo and carefully explain how there's only 6 people in the world certified to pass genuine mongeese...it just so happens you know one of the guys and he hooked you up. By now owning a genuine mongoose she can raise other mongeese (hehe) and she can have a little side hobby. Eventually she can develope her own Mongoose clothing line and the financial success created from a hoax will make you both giggle and do that interlocked arm chapagne toast thingy. And to top the whole thing off...NO SCORPIONS.

·
I am Roger..the Shrubber
1,080 Posts
You and Phatt Matt definitly have that "make lemonaide out of lemons" way of looking at things. Get rid of the scorpions AND get rich. This may be the best route to take. I think the tat may just get me through this. Only real problem I see is if the Meercat developes some kind of reaction to the glue. A Merrcat with a bad rash would not work for me.

Anybody have a Meercat that wants to attempt this first?

I don't see why you can't take a helicopter ride down to wherever those little bastards like to lounge and scoop up a couple dozen with a butterfly net. No red tape, just drag and bag. I'm sure there are certain restrictions which is why you may need to skin a couple cats for their pelt to disguise the meerkat when sneaking back into your home town. This best executed in the cover of night.

You may be right on the rash development which is why I recomend grabbing a couple dozen. You can test different adhesives on the ugly ones. Duct tape, super glue, bull snot, zip ties. Whatever adhesives don't work you give them away as stocking stuffers and gag gifts around the office. Keep the prettiest one for the wife. If the Meerkats own hair doesn't take well shave the dog, get some just for men and blend accordingly. You might want to test the waters to see if you can get one chromed. The last thing you need is a scorpion remover that you or your wife are allergic to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tom until I get my mongoose - today Ive been taking the necessary precautions.

Ive been reeeeally safe cos Ive been in the pool laying on my lilo cos scorpions can't swim. Wearing jandals sandals whatever you guys call 'em won't cut it cos the little fockers can still run at me and bite the TOP of my feet so Im wearing my harley boots - and hell just to be extra careful my helmet too! AND... Ive covered myself in coleman's mustard cos I heard scorpions hate mustard.

Reckon I won't get bit :D

·
Desert Racing Widow
2,073 Posts
Tom until I get my mongoose - today Ive been taking the necessary precautions.

Ive been reeeeally safe cos Ive been in the pool laying on my lilo cos scorpions can't swim. Wearing jandals sandals whatever you guys call 'em won't cut it cos the little fockers can still run at me and bite the TOP of my feet so Im wearing my harley boots - and hell just to be extra careful my helmet too! AND... Ive covered myself in coleman's mustard cos I heard scorpions hate mustard.

Reckon I won't get bit :D

I want a pic of that, get out your cameraphone and send me one!

·
Desert Racing Widow
2,073 Posts
WTF! Damn....you found out where I spend my 'puter time :)

We need to get a few things straight:

1) Scorpions DON'T bite.......
2) Scorpions STING
3) Maybe they are in your boots prior to putting them on
4) Maybe they are hangin' in the helmet
5) Make it Miracle Whip and I will be right there
6) Sleeping on the pool table DOES NOT solve the scorpion problem
7) Be afraid...be very afraid

Get a pic of the critter and post it here. If you can't figure out the posting stuff send it to me and I will post it for everybody to see. They love pics on here :) Check this one out:
http://www.performanceboats.com//showthread.php?t=6891
She said POOL not pool table. That's why I wanted a pic LOL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Get a pic of the critter and post it here.

So I took the scorpion out of the jar and took this pic..like the props? :D As I moved closer to get a better picture...it moved!!!!!!!!! I thought it was dead!! Scared the living shit out of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You were right they DO play dead lol. So I scooped it up back into the jar. Where's my friggin pet mongoose?!?!?!?!?!

Attachments

·
I'm on a BOAT
710 Posts
I call BS!

We haven't seen any scorpions in the desert since we bought our mobile home estate.
Vinergaroons and rattlesnakes, beavers and roadrunners, but no scorpions.

In Italy they put lavendar on the windowsills to keep the scorpions out. Might smell better than mustard :D

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
So that would put my place in the mid-lands? More like the low/mid-lands!
CC

·
Lavey Me Alone
1,417 Posts
I call BS!

We haven't seen any scorpions in the desert since we bought our mobile home estate.
Vinergaroons and rattlesnakes, beavers and roadrunners, but no scorpions.
I can have my son send you the one we found in our boat storage unit! It was all dried up of course.....cuz unlike Tom, they spray with the good $hit in Needles! ;) Found a millipede last weekend...again dried up.

RTJas :D

·
Desert Racing Widow
2,073 Posts
I can have my son send you the one we found in our boat storage unit! It was all dried up of course.....cuz unlike Tom, they spray with the good $hit in Needles! ;) Found a millipede last weekend...again dried up.

RTJas :D

He'd like that. He grinds them up and puts them in his bloody marys.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Scorpion.jpg

Dilligaf is home with me now. Check this out. The first one the scorpion trying to act tough. Then Dilligaf fed the scorpion a caterpillar and a cricket and nobodies eating anybody WTF! They all went to their respective corners :rolleyes:

Scorpion 010.jpg

·
I'm on a BOAT
710 Posts
No matter where you have a place, someone is always trying to "put ya down":D

Lowlands, Midlands, Highlands.......:)hand

The smilies here suck:)devil

I just know the vinegarroon, looked pretty scary:)sphssand I thought the rattlesnake was fake, It was all curled up ready to strike.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts