Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
Man, tht kinda choked me up a little. I've forgotten just how much time I used to spend at the drag strip.

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
Anyone remember the "Fox Hunts" at Irwindale? :D

·
520 Posts
Cool thread Sleek, With the nostalgia fuel stuff gaining popularity you can still see many of those cars around. Jungles camaro was duplicated by using the brand x/ Mexican revolution car. I would love to find a front engine dragster. SJ

·
Banned
204 Posts
Bob Crietz and Steve Carbone were both good friends of mine, one day Crietz and Carbone and I were remembering some stuff, Crietz said, Hat, in 68 at Lions, they used to qualify a 64 car Top Fuel field....if that isnt enough to shake you up,(64) cars ! , after 2nd round there are 32 cars left.....and he learned over and told me....and HALF of those (16) were from Oklahoma and people were freaking out, say WHO the HELL are these people and where did they all come from ? I knew Bennie Osborn too, all three lived in Tulsa, Crietz was insane he did a lot of crazy stuff when he was young...

Crietz is in the light blue shirt with dark blue horizontal stipes.....color coordinated to his car.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YktDLENdfwU

·
Registered
1,591 Posts

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
Got my first trophy at Irwindale. Then I got my first hangover from Miller:(:(
My first run ever on an official drag strip was at Irwindale. I remeber waiting in line right behind Wild Bill Shrewsberry (sp?)...:)devil

·
520 Posts
Bob Crietz and Steve Carbone were both good friends of mine, one day Crietz and Carbone and I were remembering some stuff, Crietz said, Hat, in 68 at Lions, they used to qualify a 64 car Top Fuel field....if that isnt enough to shake you up,(64) cars ! , after 2nd round there are 32 cars left.....and he learned over and told me....and HALF of those (16) were from Oklahoma and people were freaking out, say WHO the HELL are these people and where did they all come from ? I knew Bennie Osborn too, all three lived in Tulsa, Crietz was insane he did a lot of crazy stuff when he was young...

Crietz is in the light blue shirt with dark blue horizontal stipes.....color coordinated to his car.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YktDLENdfwU
That is cool stuff, one day I will do a FED. What was some of the period correct power other than the chrysler engines?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
That is cool stuff, one day I will do a FED. What was some of the period correct power other than the chrysler engines?
Herb Ries of the Porter & Ries car started with an OLDS:(:(

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
I think Garlits was one of the first to start running an overhead valve engine, and I think it was an Olds. Before that, it was pretty much nothing but flat heads. I know my dad ran a Mod. Roadster out of Quincy's Garage in LA, (Also was a member if the T Timers and Pile Drivers) and it ran a flat head on Nitro. They took home Top Elim. almost every race untill Garlits started showing up. He said there was no way they could run with the blown Olds. He used to tell me about a twin engine motorcycle called the Beast they used to run against, too.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
50s 60s 70s

Cool vid, but kind of incomplete without Sneaky Pete and Mike Sorokin. Damn, got a chill just typing Sorokin's name.
That takes me back to San Fernando. I know Mike drove for more than one owner, but didn't he drive the "Rain for Rent" car out of Bakersfield? Warren, Colbern, and Miller, wasn't it? I remember when that car broke into the 200s at S/F raceway, 200.44 MPH or something like that. I heard the pass form the pits and it was one constant noise, no variation in sound......

I think Garlits was one of the first to start running an overhead valve engine, and I think it was an Olds. Before that, it was pretty much nothing but flat heads. I know my dad ran a Mod. Roadster out of Quincy's Garage in LA, (Also was a member if the T Timers and Pile Drivers) and it ran a flat head on Nitro. They took home Top Elim. almost every race untill Garlits started showing up. He said there was no way they could run with the blown Olds. He used to tell me about a twin engine motorcycle called the Beast they used to run against, too.
Quincy's, on Wilshire in Santa Monica, was owned by Bill Cox. He had the only chassis dyno for miles around. AND I was in the "T Timer's" Culver City club. I ran across the old plaque not too long ago. We were "sponsored" by Culver Ford and Shelby. Jerry Kirkpatric, Shelby's driver, use to "wow" the kids at meetings with the 427 Cobra drag car in the parking lot... ....Old Hal, (T Timers founder) was a weird duck for sure. The were rumors he liked little boys, but he did a lot to keep the racers off the street........Saugas, Famosa, Fontana, San Fernando, Lions, Irwindale, El Dorado, (Vegas), Inyokern, Half Moon Bay, Carlisbad, and somewhere around Stockton, were the grass roots of drag racing out west. AND then came the legendary "Orange County International Raceway" with their "64 Funny Cars" Saturday nights......My best memories are of Lions with John Peters and the "Freight Train" dual engine dragster.(I went to Venice High with his son Eddie)...AND can't ever forget "Wild Willy" and the "Winged Express" AA/FA, What a show......Ah yes my friends, those were the days.............Ray

1 - 20 of 28 Posts