Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I'd say before to keep junk out of the cooler if anything comes Loose. Not based on any professional experience or knowledge just my opinion.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
before...keeps junk out of the cooler and hot oil filters easier.

S CP

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
Unless it's absolutely necessary, I don't recommend remote filters. If it's necessary, it doesn't matter before or after. Just keep everything as close to the engine as possible.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Unless it's absolutely necessary, I don't recommend remote filters. If it's necessary, it doesn't matter before or after. Just keep everything as close to the engine as possible.
I have to agree. Unless the cooler has a built in filter arrangement like a H&M or a Olson, I would use a bypass sandwich plate at the engine that the filter mounts to. Running lines from the engine, to the filter, then to the cooler, then back to the engine is unnecessary and causes undue pressure loss.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
Should the oil in the cooler flow with the water or against it?
Everything is 3/4" if that matters.
Against. This maximizes the temperature difference between the oil and the water along the length of the heat exchanger = more heat transfer.

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
Against. This maximizes the temperature difference between the oil and the water along the length of the heat exchanger = more heat transfer.
Does it? :hmmm:

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Any dyno or documentation on that ? Interesting topic ?
No dyno data. Its not really something you measure on a dyno.
There is reams and reams of data to back it up. Most is useless info because its pretty much simple physics But every heat exchanger is routed like this one.[SUP]*[/SUP] You can move the water in and outs, or the oil in and outs so they are on the same side, so long as they stay on the same end of the exchanger. You only have to pipe one wrong to see why its wrong. Specially when you are aiming at a specific thermal exchange, and your off by a country mile.
exchanger.jpg

[SUP]*[/SUP]unless there is a reason to do so other wise, which off hand, never seen, and can't really think of a reason to do it reversed.
Of the rougly 10,000+ heat exchangers I have seen in the past 40+ years, I have never seen one plumbed differently.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
There is reams and reams of data to back it up. Most is useless info because its pretty much simple physics But every heat exchanger is routed like this one.[SUP]*[/SUP] You can move the water in and outs, or the oil in and outs so they are on the same side, so long as they stay on the same end of the exchanger. You only have to pipe one wrong to see why its wrong. Specially when you are aiming at a specific thermal exchange, and your off by a country mile.
View attachment 158203

[SUP]*[/SUP]unless there is a reason to do so other wise, which off hand, never seen, and can't really think of a reason to do it reversed.
Of the rougly 10,000+ heat exchangers I have seen in the past 40+ years, I have never seen one plumbed differently.
For Tom's application it's probably not that significant, but he asked. For other applications where the temperature difference is smaller and the length of the heat exchanger is much longer, it can be quite significant. But, you already knew that.:D

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
For Tom's application it's probably not that significant, but he asked. For other applications where the temperature difference is smaller and the length of the heat exchanger is much longer, it can be quite significant. But, you already knew that.:D
Yeah, like I was telling Squirtin Thunder in a PM, when they get the size of a city bus, and they have steam entering one end, and crude entering the other, it becomes much more critical. Any exchanger will work better hooked up properly, but sometimes the difference is pretty small. Specially if the delta T between the 2 mediums gets as wide as an oil cooler in a boat.

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
View attachment 158203

This came to mind...

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
given the delta T between the entering and leaving water and oil and means little if any thing. You have the same gain in water temp on both, and the same oil temp reduction. The 2 cooler diagrams are working EXACTLY the same. Neither is working better or worse than the other. The other numbers mean zero. all the little triangles are meaningless.
Like shan said, in small short exchangers with a wide delta between the two mediums, it becomes less critical. Your not going to see some huge difference. But it doesn't make it right.
If you had enough heat in the oil, you could raise the water temp in the top drawing enough to actually put heat back in the oil on the at some point along the exchanger. I have seen it. many times. When you get to the point that the 2 leaving mediums are leaving at the same temp, you're doing zero exchange. Now, how do you know exactly where that started to take place inside the exchanger. You don't. It a big enough exchanger, it could happen half way down the exchanger, and just travel along with zero exchange.

Its not right, even it it works in some applications under certain conditions. There is a right and wrong way to hook up an exchanger, regardless if it works the other way. If I got in the habit of hooking them up any way I liked, I would have been looking for another job long ago. You only need to see one the size of a bus 150ft in the air on a rack that needs an end for end flip to know you don't want to be that guy.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
What is the boat application ?

Why run a cooler ?

We can't get any temp in the water or the oil ???????????????????????????????????

And the oil and water are within a degree or two of each other !

1 - 20 of 65 Posts