Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
I have some hardware that I want to remove the old anodizing (sp?) off of. How do you remove old anodizing?
muriatic acid (Hydrochloric Acid)!:D

You've gotta watch it though. It'll turn the aluminum into a puddle. And your clearances will also be thrown off, holes will be bigger and part will be smaller.:D

They also have some commercially available removers out there, but I can't remember what they are, I've got a few of them bookmarked, so I'll put them up later.

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
muriatic acid (Hydrochloric Acid)!:D

They also have some commercially available removers out there, but I can't remember what they are, I've got a few of them bookmarked, so I'll put them up later.
I haven't tried it, but I've heard that EZOFF oven cleaner works.

I hit one on the wire wheel (bench grinder) last night. The wheel was too aggressive and left pits.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Aircraft Paint Remover. Works great, spray it on let it sit for a min, and wash it off. Make sure you clear the parts after you strip them or they will tarnish.

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
Oven cleaner works just fine. Spray it on and let it set for a minute or two. Rinse off. Might take a couple application and a soft sponge and/or toothbrush can be useful.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I haven't tried it, but I've heard that EZOFF oven cleaner works.
Yes it works , I did a bunch of parts for my bike with that stuff . Use the original one (smelly) not the new (no fume) one, and dont let it dry on the parts. It worked great on the bike parts. :D

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
ez-off will take / bleach the color out of the anodize, but the surface will still be anodized. this is fine if you are going to polish the parts. if your looking to re-anodize them be careful. you cannot anodize over an anodic coating, so make sure the original anodize has been thoroughly stripped off.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Sorry, I was thinking of removing hard anodizing. You need some bad shit to remove that.:)grn

I'll go along with what everyone else said to remove the anodizing. Good luck.

·
Registered
186 Posts
T.S.P. (tri sodium phosphate). I've seen it at Wal Mart and is recommended by an earls dealer. Havn't tried it yet but am going to soon.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Sorry, I was thinking of removing hard anodizing. You need some bad shit to remove that.:)grn

I'll go along with what everyone else said to remove the anodizing. Good luck.
Well I do hard anodizing and when I need to strip it the stuff I mentioned WILL work. A Pro told me about it so I tired it and yup, back to the original aluminum finish! Don't take my word for it, go with all the harsh stuff and wear protective clothing, goggles, face shield, and gloves. :)hand

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Well I do hard anodizing and when I need to strip it the stuff I mentioned WILL work. A Pro told me about it so I tired it and yup, back to the original aluminum finish! Don't take my word for it, go with all the harsh stuff and wear protective clothing, goggles, face shield, and gloves. :)hand
I'm just regurgitating what I was told by a drag bike builder, about a year ago. I never tried it because it sounded a little hairy to me, but they use it all the time to clean bricks on the outside of houses. That Greased Lightning probably works on the regular anodizing, but I don't know, I use it all the time to clean painted parts, and it just barely strips the paint off. And I don't really believe you about that Greased Lightning on the hard anodizing (I would have to see it for myself) because that is what I used to clean an extra pump bowl that I am having polished. And I use the shit straight up, no diluting (I don't have running water at my shop) and that hard anodizing is still there, I accidentally let it dry on there a couple of times. It's hard as shit too, sparks fly when you put a grinding wheel to it. The thing about the hard anodizing is that it is actually part of the metal, it goes down into the base metal about 0.005" to 0.010" if I'm not mistaken. So it takes some serious shit to remove the real hard anodizing. This has just been my experience and what I have dug up in researching it a little, awhile back.

***Warning: Individual experiences my differ from those listed above. Please use extreme caution when doing anything. And please remember to wear your safety glasses at all times, no matter where you're at or what you're doing. Safety first kids.***:D

·
No Sandbar To Far
3,276 Posts
Lye works the best.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts