Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a thread with ideas on how to remove a boat from a trailer. I need to redo the trailer and want a safe way to lift and store a 5000 lb boat.

·
The HMFIC
1,748 Posts
Is there a thread with ideas on how to remove a boat from a trailer. I need to redo the trailer and want a safe way to lift and store a 5000 lb boat.
had a friend do this with his hallet a few weeks ago he took it to hallet who then took the boat off the trailer and put it on dolly stands then he took the trailer to his painter/repair guy and a week later picked his boat back up and all was good

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problem is, I am on my own down in Tucson. I have access to a fork lift, the boat is a Campbell 24 with an I/O. I can build a pair of bunks a foot or two off the ground to put it on, but I need to get it up in the air. The motor and interior is out so it's a bit lighter.

·
The HMFIC
1,748 Posts
here is my suggestion with your fork lift lif up rear of boat and detatch the bow then put a little lift on the fork lift and first try and pull the boat back wards 3 or 4 feet then set it on stands then move the forklift to the bow from the side and lift the bow and have a friend drive out from under the boat then set the bow on some other bow stands then set it down and there you go this is how i would i do this if i was on my own

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not yet, just in the planning stages and am still working on the interior of the hull. It might not get done until after the summer, depends on how all the other jobs go.

·
The HMFIC
1,748 Posts
Not yet, just in the planning stages and am still working on the interior of the hull. It might not get done until after the summer, depends on how all the other jobs go.
good luck with it take lots of pics and post your progress:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't know if you have already figured this out but this is what I did a couple of weeks ago (had access to a reach forklift so it makes it much easier).

-Picked up a couple of straps from Home Depot
-Fork extenders were the key here
-Used a floor jack to lift the back of the boat off the trailer and placed the rear strap just in front of the intake just so it wouldnt slip off the back for any reason.
-Placed other strap just in front of bunks and used a spreader bar (aka nice and straight 2x4 on its side otherwise you'll hear a ton of concerning cracking noises haha).
-lifted it up, pulled the trailer out and rolled the dolly under.

Hope this helps.

·
ERECT MEMBER
2,414 Posts
when I worked in a boat shop this is how we would lift boats

put a strap thru the bow eye, then up each side of boat and on to a fork lift, A frame, whatever

put a second strap under the jet, gimble, whatever is thrubolted on the back and put the ends on another a frame, forklift, whatever.

LIFT evenly, sometimes its better to lift back a little higher this way the bow strap will not slip. Don't lift too high, just enough to pull out trailer and place dolly or whatever you will rest it on....Tires (no rims) works well too.

REMEMBER the back of the boat will weigh alot more than front due to the motor and drive, so when placing dolly make sure you have your center of gravity right.

Have fun!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
How to Lift your Boat Off your Trailer

Remember, lifting a boat off a trailer is inherently dangerous and it depends on many factors.
There are many ways to lift a boat off a trailer. I recommend the Portable Boat Lift. You can find it at www.portableboatlift.com. They have How To instructions, many photos, and the Lift is Engineered. There are many photos for you to see the Boat Lift in action. Whatever you end up doing please be sure to put solid wood blocks, or proper foam ones, under the boat before you go under it or consult a Boat Stand manufacturer such as Brownell for the amount and proper placement of boat stands for your particular boat. It isn't worth crushing yourself or ruining your boat using certain dangerous methods.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts