Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any good suggestions on removing a bronze tipped pushrod, on a BBC, that has rolled over a burr and does not want to come out?

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
I had a steel one do it. I put the biggest needle nose vise-grips I had on it and worked it out. It was like a flat cam. The pump lobe went bad and the rod looked like a bad lifter on a bad lobe.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've tried the needle nose pliers. I forgot to say the engine is on a stand, assembled, but with no intake manifold.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
You might end up taking the cam out to get it. If I remember right it will come out that way. But I don't always remember right. :)sphss

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
I had the same thing happen a number of years ago when I ran a mechanical pump. I think, I also used a long needle nose set of pliers to get it out.
When I replaced the pushrod, I put a radius on the bronze tip of the next one. I never had a problem after that.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good idea on the radius. I finally took the oil pan, balancer, timing cover and all of the valve train off,(there goes all my new gaskets), removed the cam and filed the burr off, thru the front cam bearing, and it fell right out. The bronze tip had worn completely off.:((((((

·
Some guy
3,646 Posts
Good idea on the radius. I finally took the oil pan, balancer, timing cover and all of the valve train off,(there goes all my new gaskets), removed the cam and filed the burr off, thru the front cam bearing, and it fell right out. The bronze tip had worn completely off.:((((((
Just for reference, what brand was the fuel pump pushrod, and was it a new one?

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Comp Cams, and it had been in there for about 5000 miles,(548 pump gas deal, car not a boat), I sorta forgot to check on it. I had been having fuel pressure problems too. A broken valve spring caused me to pull the engine and take a look. My machinist recommended one from C. V. Products, only one they have had to last.

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Hmmmm, so does a "bronze-tip" pump rod require regular inspection?
With the bronze wearing away and going through the engine...that can't be good :shock:
Prior to installing a roller-cam (few years back) I never used one...now something else to worry about :)Unsure

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Hmmmm, so does a "bronze-tip" pump rod require regular inspection?
With the bronze wearing away and going through the engine...that can't be good :shock:
Prior to installing a roller-cam (few years back) I never used one...now something else to worry about :)Unsure
You mean in addition to the cast iron and aluminum that is already circulating around in every engine? If you were running a bronze dizzy gear, that would be in there as well.

I have run bronze tipped pushrods for the past 11 years and never seen one mushroom or roll the edge over, and the spring pressure in a Clay Smith pump is about as high as anybodies. I think that is why Obnoxious asked whos pushrod it was.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 12 of 12 Posts