Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the back of my boat where I keep my anchor and extra lines a quart of oil leaked into the carpet. I've used shampoo and all kinds of stuff to get it out..it appears to be clean but still leaves an oily residue on anything left back there..any tips on what to use to get it all out..thanks.

·
Break Out Another Thousnd
2,040 Posts
Purple Power concentrate. Most auto parts stores carry it.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,102 Posts
Replace it! Youll NEVER get it out, it will always come back!
x2 Been there done that three times.... you can get enough of it out to live with it but the carpet glue will never stick. You can clean it an
Acetone to hard surface but the oil will remain in the carpet just enough to screw stuff up.

Sleeper CP :D

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
If you have a bottle of Vinyl Sauce close by, give that a try.
I've used it on my toon several times and it's worked really well on the carpet.

If you don't have any, let me know... I'm around/on the water all weekend.

·
Full Of It.
787 Posts
I have the same issue and have tried every purple, green, and blue cleaner. Dawn (which I think was yellow) helped some, but the oil is way down in the backing....its not coming out.

My trim pump leaks a little bit. Last guy who fixed it put in the wrong sized O ring I think.

I think you need to replace it, but maybe you can remove it and have it steam cleaned or something, but replacement is probably the only way to get rid of it completely.

How about just a rubber mat on top of it???

·
Registered
198 Posts
Nearly every cleaning product known to man and some yet to be invented have been mentioned here. :D

I'll go with brake clean and absorbent towels, lots of applications. It'll drive you crazy though until you eventually replace it.

Ron, good to see you...

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Cut out a section and replace it with some new carpet...or better yet, look for a drip tray either rubber or diamond plate, cut out that section of the carpet and secure the drip tray in that area, all future leak clean ups in that area solved....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts