Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Any ideas of how to get the rod cap off with a new bearing in it? I torqued it to measure it. Now how to get it apart without hurting the bearing. It's an Eagle H beam with L19 cap screws.

Tim
I normall use a rawhide hammer on the rod bolts with a nut threaded on the bolt about half way, lightly tap the bolts one at a time.

The rod bolts are knurled and that is what holds them into the rod side of the assembly.

If there is a better method, I dont know what it is.:)Unsure

GT :)hand

·
steelcomp was here
26,526 Posts
I normall use a rawhide hammer on the rod bolts with a nut threaded on the bolt about half way, lightly tap the bolts one at a time.

The rod bolts are knurled and that is what holds them into the rod side of the assembly.

If there is a better method, I dont know what it is.:)Unsure

He has cap screws, not bolts. If the rod is in a vise, you can just work the cap off, lightly tap on it with a plastic hammer or just wiggle it back and forth...it'll come off the dowels eventually. Just don't use a lot of force whatever you do.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
He has cap screws, not bolts. If the rod is in a vise, you can just work the cap off, lightly tap on it with a plastic hammer or just wiggle it back and forth...it'll come off the dowels eventually. Just don't use a lot of force whatever you do.
Just re read, sorry about that, I say a heat gun with a little heat never hurt anyone, heat the drilled side, not the doweled side.......;)

Should be able to get enough heat in about 15 seconds.....

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
As usual...Steel is right.
Put the cap end in a rod vise, wiggle twice, pops apart.
If you do not have a rod vise, use smooth inserts in your regular vise. This will not marr the rod side that way.
Wags

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
If you do not have a rod vise, use smooth inserts in your regular vise. This will not marr the rod side that way.
Wags
2 pieces of wood in a regular vice work great as "sacrificial" surfaces, won't hurt the rod a bit. Plywood or 1x2, whatever you have arround that'll fit.

·
Some guy
3,621 Posts
Wags
For years until I bought a regular rod vise I used a couple of pieces of aluminum angle in my vise for rods.

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
For years until I bought a regular rod vise I used a couple of pieces of aluminum angle in my vise for rods.
I did the same, i put a peice of angle in there tightened it down and then hammered the angle to form it around the vice. This way when you open the vice they stay and dont go falling off, and you can left them up and over and they come off when you dont need them.

River Rat 005, i clamped them lightly in a vice, used a dead blow and tapped each side. With those dowels in them they are a bitch to get off thats for sure!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts