Performance Boats Forum banner

Repair for tank strap bolts that have seperated from floor?

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  AlterEgo 
#1 ·
Just bought my first flatbottom, a 1967 Sanger V-drive. In the process of cleaning it up I removed both tanks and found that some of the bolts that secure the tank straps that were resined over in the floor have seperated from this area and remained attached to the straps. The bolts weren't glassed over, just had resin applied to hold them in place. I'm considering reattaching them in the same way, but adding a large fender washer next to the bolt head and using fabric to cover both the washer and bolt before applying the resin to hold them in place. Also, the resin has seperated from the wood in about an 8 inch round area near one of the bolts and has caused the wood underneath it to turn black. Do I need to grind off all of the this to expose all of the affected wood? Do I need to grind the affected area of wood as well? Is there a way to treat the wood prior to applying the resin? Any feedback or alternative suggestions for repairs would be greatly appreciated? Thanks in advance. Will be adding pics a little later.

#4 ·
I was kinda afraid that was the case. After reading your reply I took a probe to the area and discovered how rotted the wood was. Thankfully, it doesn't appear to have reached the stringers and also appears that it can be repaired/salvaged. Would anyone know or has a resource to find out if their is a void between the floor and the hull on a 1967 Sanger Flatbottom?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.