Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations for repairing these cracks in the floor? Was thinking either a penetrating epoxy or a flexible epoxy. They seem to be just in the top layer of resin. Ripping up the carpet and planning on painting with an enamel paint (bilgekote) and don’t want them coming through eventually. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
258 Posts
Is the cloudiness from the carpet or was this a bad flow coat attempt? It looks like someone put a bunch of product down with no matt or cloth to bind it. If you are wanting to have a nice looking floor you need to deal with the cracks as they will come back if you put anything over them. I have seen cracks come back thru paint even when prepped well over polyester resins. The deck on my Spectra had small cracks in it and we chased all those cracks with 24 grit and then laid up matt and cloth to create a new structure. I would think you may need to do the same thing to your floors.

My experience is with using polyester resins I have no experience with epoxy and its bonding ability. I Look forward to some additional comments and to see if epoxy can help eliminate the labor with newer technology / chemistry. .

CAP9.jpg
TD2.jpg
TD3.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cloudiness is just a light dust from my feet I should have wiped everything down before taking the picture. I’ve decided I will be trying to sand everything down and flowcoating a small spot to see if I get results. I may try some thinned out penetrating epoxy as well just to see what happens. If nothing works I will most likely be removing all of the material down to the wood and glassing over to create new structure. Thanks for the input I appreciate it!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Doesn't really look like water got down there, so wood probably still good but if you do not glass over that they will definitely come back and you may have a bigger issue if water gets in there. You'll wreck the plywood trying to peel it off. I'd grind it down some with 60G and put another layer of glass on with epoxy as it will stick way better to the old glass than polyesther + it is more flexible. Just cover with paint that has UV protection. My $0.02.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts