Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a resume, but it seems to be kind of long winded, I'm not good at creative writing so I'm in need of some help. Does anyone do, or know a good service that does, resume optimization? One place I found online wants from $195 to $300 to do it. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Skip

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Skip,

Keep it as simple as possible, definately one page or less....

I have written a few (needed to get into certain facilities) and they can definately get too long.

If I were to give any advice at all, get a hold of a buddy in a high place that does some hiring and ask them what his/her preferences are.

Keep it simple and to the point. These days, potential employers are not just reading 1 or 2 reume's, they can be reading dozens. Make it stand out by sounding ambitious and qualify yourself for the applied for position...

Oh yeah....Good luck Bro!:)devil

GT :)hand

·
Temporarily Pacified!
5,554 Posts
I have 6 offices and seem to be hiring all the time and help open other offices for my company. I think the best resumes are the 1 page but targeted resume. When I say targeted, I mean you tailor each resume specifically to that job, company and their requirements listed in their add and on their website as you research. People who do this stand out immediately for me and 9 times out of 10 get the first call.

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
I have 6 offices and seem to be hiring all the time and help open other offices for my company. I think the best resumes are the 1 page but targeted resume. When I say targeted, I mean you tailor each resume specifically to that job, company and their requirements listed in their add and on their website as you research. People who do this stand out immediately for me and 9 times out of 10 get the first call.
Exactly.
List qualifications for that position.
I like seeing them listed in 1-2 sentence per qualification or experience, in bullet style.
Like This:

• 2002-2004, Driller on Diesel electric Oil Rig for XXX Drilling.

• 2004-2007, Directional Driller on Horizontal wells for XXX Directional Company.
Etc.
If I want more info, I will interview and ask details.
KEEP IT BRIEF ON PAPER!!
Have references on SEPARATE sheet and just put "references available on request".

All a resume provider does is consolidate and compress your info. You can do the same with the Formats available in your' MS Word templates. (File, new, templates)
I see a MS template resume and I know that they are computer literate also.
Good luck!

·
Registered
156 Posts
The purpose of a resume for the employer, especially these days since they are getting flooded with each job announcement, is to quickly eliminate as many applicants as possible. Therefore, as mentioned before, limit to one page, but also format resume to stand out--look good esthetically, possibly different from all the rest (stock templates), and emphasize qualifications that you think the prospective employer is looking for--education, general experience, specific experience, work history, personal data. Additionally, I think a good cover letter (again 1 page or less) provides an opportunity to tell the prospective employer why you're interested in the position, what you know about the job/company, why you think you are qualified for the job, how the business will benefit from hiring you, and a chance to drop a name if appropriate (sometimes it's not what you know, but who you know). In any case, honesty, spelling and grammar are critical.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
The purpose of a resume for the employer, especially these days since they are getting flooded with each job announcement, is to quickly eliminate as many applicants as possible. Therefore, as mentioned before, limit to one page, but also format resume to stand out--look good esthetically, possibly different from all the rest (stock templates), and emphasize qualifications that you think the prospective employer is looking for--education, general experience, specific experience, work history, personal data. Additionally, I think a good cover letter (again 1 page or less) provides an opportunity to tell the prospective employer why you're interested in the position, what you know about the job/company, why you think you are qualified for the job, how the business will benefit from hiring you, and a chance to drop a name if appropriate (sometimes it's not what you know, but who you know). In any case, honesty, spelling and grammar are critical.
And for God sake, don't send them a picture!!!! :Dhil:):D

Hi Skip...Hi Mark;)

GT :)hand

1 - 6 of 6 Posts