Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you guys recommend a good price/good rev limiter! The motor is a BBC 496 twin turbo set up.

·
Registered
976 Posts
PUT AN MSD IN IT. THE 6AL WITH THE MSD DIST. YOU CAN ADJUST WITH A DIFFERENT CHIP FROM 4500 TO 9500 RPM. PLUS YOU GET THE ADVANTAGE OF MSD. I PERSONALY HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH THERE STUFF. I HAD A PICKUP GO BAD IN MY DIST, AND THE SENT ME ONE OUT FOR FREE. JUST MY EXPERENCE. :)hand

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
I also run the MSD rev limiter. I see it as cheap insurance for my engine. I think I got mine at Summit, and the price was very good, I think under $100.:D Mine still hasn't been in the water, so I can't say much about it, but it's on my boat.

:)hand

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
I too run the MSD limiter. Mine's the Soft Touch that's made to plug into the box though. And last weekend my pump unloaded unexpectedly and the motor revved up pretty hard, but the limiter caught it and she's still runnin' strong.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Yep, "put on a box" is the standard rev-limiter answer.

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
Ditto on the 6AL, I too unloaded the pump once and was very thankful I had it.
Never had any issues with it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
alright my boat doesn't have a MSD distributor, i'm running a chevy 350. Does this mean there is no possible way it has a rev limiter? If not, is there any other way to get a rev limiter on this thing other than to put a MSD distributor and box on it? thanks!

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
pump unloading

having ur motor wine out to a high rpm isnt the only thing to worry about. When you unload ur pump ur spinning the shaft faster and when pump loads again with water its a sudden impact thats how you thrash sheet in ur pump

·
Registered
582 Posts
Non msd/ points rev limiter

I know pertronics makes a points to electronic conversion doohickey that has a built in rev limiter. I think it also is the only points to electronic kit with multiple sparks all throughout the rpm range. We put one in my buddies 69 ford, great to not gap and replace points all the time. Dont know if it is "coast guard approved" or anything.

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,462 Posts
Not to hijack, but looking at the limiters on Summit, I can't see which one is best for me.

I have a "ready to run" marine MSD billet distributor in a BBC. No box. Any recommendations from the experts??

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not to hijack, but looking at the limiters on Summit, I can't see which one is best for me.

I have a "ready to run" marine MSD billet distributor in a BBC. No box. Any recommendations from the experts??
I don't wanna hi-jack either...but it's one on the same topic! If you look at the 6AL-M (marine box) it says it'll plug directly into MSD's Marine Dist. Are the marine and standard dist/boxes different types of connections? Waterproof? Can you plug a MARINE box into a standard billet dist? Vice-versa?

And...anyone trying the 6AL-2 (digital) box yet?

Sorry to hi-jack...but it's all on "limiter" topics!:)devil

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Can you guys recommend a good price/good rev limiter! The motor is a BBC 496 twin turbo set up.
6al msd box, when did you go twin turbo?

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
I don't wanna hi-jack either...but it's one on the same topic! If you look at the 6AL-M (marine box) it says it'll plug directly into MSD's Marine Dist. Are the marine and standard dist/boxes different types of connections? Waterproof? Can you plug a MARINE box into a standard billet dist? Vice-versa?

And...anyone trying the 6AL-2 (digital) box yet?

Sorry to hi-jack...but it's all on "limiter" topics!:)devil
The 6M-2 is basically a 6A box that's been sealed up for marine use. It will adapt to any distributor and also has the 2 pin connector for the Pro-Billet series dizzys. It will also adapt to the marine Ready To Run unit as well. The 6M2 also has a dedicated plug for the Soft Touch Rev Limiter, making adding a rev limiter a cinch.

*Note on rev limiters - YOU DO NOT NEED A BOX TO HOOK UP A LIMITER!!! PERIOD!!! They make stand alone limiters that will adapt to any ignition.

My experience with the 6M2 box -

Motor is a 450-500hp 468 BBC with an MSD Ready To Run dizzy

My 6M2 took a shit on me early in the season. I've had 2 seasons on it thus far. I did get to run it once this season and I saw 5200-5300 RPM @ WOT. Fortunately I have the Ready To Run dizzy that doesn't absolutely have to have the box to work like the Pro Billet ones so I was able to bypass it.

Saw absolutely no difference in performance whatsoever. Still tach'ed out at 5200-5300 RPM at WOT.

My consensus on ignition amplifiers - based on the above mentioned comparison, IMHO on a lake cruiser with a mildly built motor they're a waste of money. If it were a racer that had so much fuel dumping into it that it needed a hotter spark to light the mixture, yeah maybe. But with a mildly built motor running a standard air/fuel mix, you won't see any difference. Once the fuel/air mix is lit, it's lit. You can buy a stand-alone limiter for far less than it would cost to add a box.

Also, a footnote on MSD boxes...the "multiple spark" feature is what sells these things. However, you lose the multiple spark above 2500-3000 RPM because the circuitry simply cannot keep up firing the plug multiple times above this RPM range. At an idle...yeah the multiple spark probably keeps the plugs from fouling up. But if you're fouling plugs at an idle, your idle mixture is way too rich anyway and should be adjusted properly.

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,462 Posts
The 6M-2 is basically a 6A box that's been sealed up for marine use. It will adapt to any distributor and also has the 2 pin connector for the Pro-Billet series dizzys. It will also adapt to the marine Ready To Run unit as well. The 6M2 also has a dedicated plug for the Soft Touch Rev Limiter, making adding a rev limiter a cinch.

*Note on rev limiters - YOU DO NOT NEED A BOX TO HOOK UP A LIMITER!!! PERIOD!!! They make stand alone limiters that will adapt to any ignition.

My experience with the 6M2 box -

Motor is a 450-500hp 468 BBC with an MSD Ready To Run dizzy

My 6M2 took a shit on me early in the season. I've had 2 seasons on it thus far. I did get to run it once this season and I saw 5200-5300 RPM @ WOT. Fortunately I have the Ready To Run dizzy that doesn't absolutely have to have the box to work like the Pro Billet ones so I was able to bypass it.

Saw absolutely no difference in performance whatsoever. Still tach'ed out at 5200-5300 RPM at WOT.

My consensus on ignition amplifiers - based on the above mentioned comparison, IMHO on a lake cruiser with a mildly built motor they're a waste of money. If it were a racer that had so much fuel dumping into it that it needed a hotter spark to light the mixture, yeah maybe. But with a mildly built motor running a standard air/fuel mix, you won't see any difference. Once the fuel/air mix is lit, it's lit. You can buy a stand-alone limiter for far less than it would cost to add a box.
So...I will repeat my question: Any recommendations on a limiter only to use with R2R marine MSD?

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
So...I will repeat my question: Any recommendations on a limiter only to use with R2R marine MSD?
The R2R dizzy will work with any standalone limiter. But I personally recommend the MSD Soft Touch standalone limiter. MSD's claim is that Instead of limiting RPM by retarding the timing, it goes through the firing order and misfires each cylinder, then fires it on the next stroke for a backfire free rev limit. Here's the link to it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8728/

Having used the Soft Touch rev limiter myself, I will say that it is a very smooth rev limit with no backfire at all. It uses the plug in modules and mine would usually limit it about 200 RPM below the module's rating.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts